Replacing Grips - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Replacing Grips

Noticing that several people have wanted to replace their stock BMW Grips but weren't sure about how to do it and retain the heated feature, I thought I would take a few pics and describe the procedure here. Tony, since your grips literally had a hole worn in them and I had a new set of grips here, I used your bike as a model. It really is not difficult at all. Here goes:

1. VERY CAREFULLY cut the exisitng grip off the heated sleeve. NOTE: This must be done delicately so as not to cut into or through any of the wires in the heating element. (see Pic 1).

2. Pull old grip off the end of the handlebar and clean remaining surface and let dry (see pics 2 & 3).

3. Apply a liberal coat of either grip cement (or contact cement) to the heated element and the INSIDE of the new grip (pic 4).

4. Carefully work the new grip on to heated sleeve BEFORE the glue dries (pic 5). Note: Once the grip is in place and the glue begins to dry it is VERY difficult to move the grip around so make sure you get it all the way onto the bar and in position before your stop pushing.

5. Enjoy your new grips! And yes...the heater still works! (see pic 6)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grip1.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	26056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grip2.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	26057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grip3.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	26058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grip4.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	26059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grip5.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	26060  

Name:	Grip7.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	26061  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 5:48 pm

Smile Re: Replacing Grips

Good job Jack, glad those grips came to good use.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Garage
Re: Replacing Grips

Good info, I replaced mine a year or so back for non-oem (I've got big hands). To prevent me from being stupid I slid a long handle feeler gauge under the grip when I cut the old one off. First cut the top of the grip so you can get it in, then slice away. nice to have a piece of metal under the razor!!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Good info, I replaced mine a year or so back for non-oem (I've got big hands). To prevent me from being stupid I slid a long handle feeler gauge under the grip when I cut the old one off. First cut the top of the grip so you can get it in, then slice away. nice to have a piece of metal under the razor!!

Now, there ya go! What a great tip! I suppose it would have to be a "thicker" feeler gauge, but what a great safeguard! And Mike...thanks for the grips!!! They look good on Tony's bike.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #5 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 8:25 pm

Will it be equally as easy to remove the new grips that you glued over the heated sleeve? Just follow the same procedure with the extra long feeler gauge? Just had new OIM ones installed....but this is a great reference to keep in my favorites for future use!
Thanks!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #6 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 9:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
I take it then that the OEM grip is not glued on and is just a friction fit. I would think with adhesive it would not be possible to use a feeler gauge as a cutting guard, right?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 9:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Noticing that several people have wanted to replace their stock BMW Grips but weren't sure about how to do it and retain the heated feature, I thought I would take a few pics and describe the procedure here. Tony, since your grips literally had a hole worn in them and I had a new set of grips here, I used your bike as a model. It really is not difficult at all. Here goes:

1. VERY CAREFULLY cut the exisitng grip off the heated sleeve. NOTE: This must be done delicately so as not to cut into or through any of the wires in the heating element. (see Pic 1).

2. Pull old grip off the end of the handlebar and clean remaining surface and let dry (see pics 2 & 3).

3. Apply a liberal coat of either grip cement (or contact cement) to the heated element and the INSIDE of the new grip (pic 4).

4. Carefully work the new grip on to heated sleeve BEFORE the glue dries (pic 5). Note: Once the grip is in place and the glue begins to dry it is VERY difficult to move the grip around so make sure you get it all the way onto the bar and in position before your stop pushing.

5. Enjoy your new grips! And yes...the heater still works! (see pic 6)
Is the notch shown in picture 3 there by design or is that just wear on the heating element?

Was the new grip a BMW replacement or an aftermarket item?

Nice work and picture documentary!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Is the notch shown in picture 3 there by design or is that just wear on the heating element?
Having just recently replaced mine, that notch is where the wire connects to the heater element and "folds back" into the bar end, IIRC.

Quote:
I take it then that the OEM grip is not glued on and is just a friction fit. I would think with adhesive it would not be possible to use a feeler gauge as a cutting guard, right?
I replaced mine with OEM rubber grips, and they are not simply friction fit. They WILL slip with just the slightest bit of moisture (easy to get when the heat is applied), so some grip glue is required. The OEM grips are, however, friction fit (as well as tapered with barbs, IIRC) on the plastic carrier that's used if you have NON heated grips. That carrier needs to be removed when installing the OEM grips onto a heated setup.

I wasn't happy with the overall diameter of the grip, so I made them bigger by installing TWO grip puppies over each grip - pretty comfortable and a cheap way to make the grips bigger.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush

Last edited by Gino; Jan 24th, 2010 at 10:12 pm.
post #9 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Was the new grip a BMW replacement or an aftermarket item?

Nice work and picture documentary!

I think the "notch" you are speaking of was a result of the previous grips being worn intirely out to the place that the wire was actually exposed. I rode the bike recently after repairs and had no gloves. I turned the grip[ warmers on and noticed a VERY hot spot. looked down and there is was...an exposed wire...almost burnt me! That's when I decided to replace the grips. Rather than try to bend it back straight, I just left it alone since it wasn't broken. I feared that trying to straighten it, might cause it to break.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #10 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
Will it be equally as easy to remove the new grips that you glued over the heated sleeve? Just follow the same procedure with the extra long feeler gauge? Just had new OIM ones installed....but this is a great reference to keep in my favorites for future use!
Thanks!

They may be a bit more difficult to remove, but not really that tough. I have never tried the feeler gauge method anyway. I am just REALLY careful when I'm cutting and use a new blade. It just cuts right thru it. Once you get it going, you can grab one side of the cut and pull it upward (which lifts the grip off the element) and you can cut the grip w no fear of damaging the elements.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #11 of 31 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

Here is a clearer pic of the two areas of discussion with some notes:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grip diagram.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	26063  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #12 of 31 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 9:50 am

Where did you purchase the grips and do you have the part numbers? Thanks
post #13 of 31 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 10:12 am Thread Starter

Mike St. Just purchased the grips...not sure where he got them, but they are "Motoboss Custom Foam Grips". This number was on the package M05-0145 They were 14.99

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #14 of 31 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 6:04 pm

Garage

Quote:
Mike St. Just purchased the grips...not sure where he got them, but they are "Motoboss Custom Foam Grips". This number was on the package M05-0145 They were 14.99
IIRC- Cyclegear

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #15 of 31 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Garage

I swapped my rubber grips for the Kuryakyn grips using the method posted here by DShealy and Silver Buffalo.

I wonder if this would work on the GT or the RT as well?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #16 of 31 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 11:24 pm

What was the diameter of the replacements?
post #17 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 9:00 pm

I thought the stock grips were too small. I have large hands too. I went to the local Hog-Dog shop and picked up a set of Drag Specialties Sundance replacement foam grips. One grip has a plastic sleeve inside of it. I pulled out the sleeve and put a little dish soap on the inside of the foam grips and slid them over the stock grips. It made the grips thicker and reduced the vibration I felt from the stock grips. If they ever wear out I'll just cut them off and install new ones and the stock grips will never see any wear. Over 70k miles and they show no sign of wear yet. The heat comes through fine in low or high position. The part number is DS-243125. I like the look of the grip too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0126002052.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	26074  

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress
post #18 of 31 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 9:07 am

Re: Replacing Grips....the "cheap"way

Here's an inexpensive (er..."cheap") solution using something you probably have laying around unused in a kitchen cabinet or somewhere in the garage.

Ingredients: two neoprene "Koozies", 16" of male/female velcro, the wife's sewing machine (when she's not looking or at home....mine caught me! and the willingness to say you used a sewing machine!

One day after a ride I noticed a slight numbness in my hand and thought it would be nice to wrap the brand new OEM grips (old ones were worn and replaced by the dealer) with something that would soften the vibration and increase the diameter of the handlebars. I rolled into the garage and....there on my workbench sat two "koozies" completely unused (the fridge isn't too far and the amber beverages never last long enough to get warm)!

I decided to cut the bottom of each koozie off and cut the seam on one side to create a 4.5" long piece. I decided it would be easier to beg forgiveness than to ask ahead of time to use der frau's sewing machine ....read the instructions and read them again 'cause I didn't want to break something. I then cut two lengths of velcro (male and female) for each wrap and began sewing. Ok....I know it isn't "manly," but I was on a roll! I did make a few mistakes (didn't realize there was a reverse button on the machine...missed that in the instruction reading! ) and had to start over. Eventually, after about 20 minutes, I completed the modification of the koozies to something I could easily put on or remove. Below are the pictures of the two pieces with the labels of how to connect them.

A & B = female velcro piece sewn onto the black side (which will be the exposed side)
C & D = male velcro piece sewn onto the colored side (which will wind up being the inside)

Wrap A to C (you need to measure this before sewing) and then D to B.

The end products are shown in the last two pictures.

Final preparation: take wife out to dinner with the money you save after putting up her sewing machine!

Later!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	26076   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	26077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	26078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	26079  

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #19 of 31 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 7:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Here's an inexpensive (er..."cheap") solution using something you probably have laying around unused in a kitchen cabinet or somewhere in the garage.

Ingredients: two neoprene "Koozies", 16" of male/female velcro, the wife's sewing machine (when she's not looking or at home....mine caught me! and the willingness to say you used a sewing machine!
That is a neat idea, but given that I paid only $8 for m Grip Puppies, and that included shipping, even 20 minutes of time isn't all that good of a deal.
At least I'm not quite THAT cheap, and I'm pretty cheap!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 31 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Quote:

Later!
I saw these.. they looked good! effective.. and you can add/remove to fit your hand or for a "change of pace" on long rides...

good idea.
post #21 of 31 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Quote:
That is a neat idea, but given that I paid only $8 for m Grip Puppies, and that included shipping, even 20 minutes of time isn't all that good of a deal.
+1 here too. Especially the last line...

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #22 of 31 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Dang....only 8 clams.....now I find out! Oh well, I learned on both accounts!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #23 of 31 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 2:16 am

Jack:

I have a somewhat different problem with my right grip, mainly the heater. When I first turn them on both warm up rather quickly. But as time goes by, the right seems to loose its warmth, meaning it is not heating as much as the left side. Any clue on what could be causing this?

tia, tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #24 of 31 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 8:11 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Installed Grip Puppies and can't get the throttle side to stop slipping when I attempt to accelerate. To fix it I have gone so far as to tighten it on with 5 zip ties ... UGLY!!
Suggestions ??
Thanks
Keir
post #25 of 31 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarver
Jack:

I have a somewhat different problem with my right grip, mainly the heater. When I first turn them on both warm up rather quickly. But as time goes by, the right seems to loose its warmth, meaning it is not heating as much as the left side. Any clue on what could be causing this?

tia, tcars
John
Nope. But, I did notice that if I removed either hand from the grip (to change radio, scratch an itch, etc) that particular hand would take a while to heat back up. The cool air seemed to cool the grip and hand taking it a while to recover. Try and notice if that is the case.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #26 of 31 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkclark
Installed Grip Puppies and can't get the throttle side to stop slipping when I attempt to accelerate. To fix it I have gone so far as to tighten it on with 5 zip ties ... UGLY!!
Suggestions ??
Thanks
Keir

I have never had that problem. Now...they do sell two sizes and I have always installed the smaller diameter ones. I usually use an air compressor hose to get them on and they hold really great! Check and see what size you ordered.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #27 of 31 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 1:47 am

Quote:
Nope. But, I did notice that if I removed either hand from the grip (to change radio, scratch an itch, etc) that particular hand would take a while to heat back up. The cool air seemed to cool the grip and hand taking it a while to recover. Try and notice if that is the case.
Jack:

No, this is when the hand has been on it for say 30 minutes, never taken off, it does not warm as much as the left side. Now there have been times when I have switched them off, then back on and it would heat up again, but still not as hot as the left. The only time it is as hot as the left is when they are first switched on, like in the first 5-10 minutes.

tia, tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #28 of 31 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 2:01 am

Garage

Just becasue I am a Smart A$$....

Can the mods start a new section for us? I think the heading

"ASK PASTORJACK"

Has a very nice ring to it....

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #29 of 31 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Does anyone happen to know what size the replacement grips should be?

2002 K1200LT SE
post #30 of 31 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Pastor Jack...
My grip warmers blow the fuse.....but not instantly. They'll heat up for one ride....maybe two. Then the next time I try them, they won't work...I check the fuse and it's blown. Can you, or anyone else, suggest a place to start looking for the problem? Should I assume it's under the grips and cut them off to see what I find?

Thanks!
Ron

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #31 of 31 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:18 am

What size Grips did you use (1"). Also how is the heating working?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in