'05 LT ABS Module needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

'05 LT ABS Module needed

Fault lights indicated I had an intermittent problem with the braking system. If I don't grab a hand full of front brake the system works fine. Hard braking (front) results in residual braking effect.

After determining the front & rear master cylinders were full, I figured the front simply needed a rebuild kit. The parts guy at my local dealership convinced me that the system is much more complex than I may realize so I took the bike on down and asked them to run a diagnostic test. Long story short: My ABS module has to be replaced at a cost of $2468.00 plus labor.

There's gotta be a junker/clunker out there somewhere that can be parted out. Anybody have an alternate fix? Anybody...

C'est la Vie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Re: '05 LT ABS Module needed

There are some places out there that claim they can rebuild the ABS modules. Somewhere I have the phone number of one of them. I will try to find it and give you a pm later.
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
There are some places out there that claim they can rebuild the ABS modules. Somewhere I have the phone number of one of them. I will try to find it and give you a pm later.

I had a problem with the warning lights on the brake system coming on every time I crossed a cattle guard or such bump. I would have to stop and turn off the engine to reset. Had in serviced at Accolade BMW in SLC and the technician, found that one of the ties on the break line bundle was too tight, he took the ties off and rerouted the line, it works fine now. You may want to look at the way the break bundle is routed.

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 1:23 pm

There are 2 "circuits" on the ABS brakes for 05 LT.

The "master" cylinders are part of the primary.. they only "send the pressure signal" to the ABS unit. Squeeze hard, more pressure (not so much fluid)

The ABS actually "sends" pressure through Hydraulic servos (pumps) built into the unit from the "secondary" / ABS unit to the calipers.

It is VERY possible you need to have the ABS system "flushed"... that will replace all fluids and "top off" the ABS reservoirs ... (yes, the reservoirs in the ABS hold the fluid that ACTUALLY goes to the Brake Calipers.
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

cfell, your response offers some hope. Although the BMW tech bled the system and topped everything off, a system flush was not accomplished. With nearly 49,000 miles on the odometer it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I've owned this beast since it was new and, sad to say, it has found a way to 'gently' lay on its side more than once (but not within the past year) so I suppose its possible a bubble or contaminant has been introduced into the ABS reservoir.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

C'est la Vie
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 2:46 pm

I "flush" the ABS yearly... every December...run almost a quart through the system... the tech's have the "process"..

Definitely check the "wheel sensors" too.. if they are loose or cables tied off too tight in the wrong place they could cause the fault.

Also, don't overlook possibility of a weak battery.. or connection... vibration such as you mention could shake things enough to cause bizzare symptoms
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Question Re: '05 LT ABS Module needed

I am experiencing the same problem, only my ABS faults when the ambient air temp. is 40 deg. or colder! Go figure! If I stop and turn off the ignition and restart the ABS resets until the next stop. As soon as the air warms up then no problem. This is a daily driver, 2003 with 16,000 miles. Any thoughts?
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 7:10 pm

not the same system.. sounds like you could have a faulty sensor in the rear reservoir
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 9:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I would have to say weak battery as this only occurs at low temps when the battery is stressed.

For the 05 guy looks like the dealer rang it out on the moditiec tester so you may just have a bad unit. There have been a few of those fail. Mostly if they have not been flushed on a regular basis, but there have been some "brain" circuit board failures as well which has nothing to do with a flush.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 11:56 am

Re: '05 LT ABS Module needed/ what about a '00 LT

Hello all; I ask this last year but been away a few months; my abs lights are wig-waggin, Lone Star in Austin said I need the $2500 fix, but figured I needed to flush the complete system, abs and all since the bike set up in a garage for awhile. 2000 model with 18K miles, now 26K. I bleed front and back and it looked like root beer, but didn't spent the time for abs flush or know-how to do it. Is it fairly simple to do the complete flush?
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 12:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Your bike has the ABS II system and it flushes just like a car. The fluid goes in the front reservoir and comes out the caliper bleed port on the front brakes. Like wise for the rear. This also flushes out the ABS unit.

This one requires intervention to reset once you have fixed the fault. There is a long post about how to do it by jumping wires or find some one listed in the GS-911 registry to help you out. You really need to know the fault code to tell what is wrong. Sensors are fairly easy and the ABS unit "stuck piston" fault can be corrected most of the time by a little bit of dissassembly and cleaning. The long post I mentioned also has a method on how to read out the codes if you can't find someone with a GS-911 unit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Thanks, I will get another bottle of fluid and flush front and rear again, Terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in