LT Audio advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Question LT Audio advice

I have a 2005 that's new to me and have a problem that maybe the wise can answer.

When I first turn on the radio everything is fine. Exactly 3 minutes later the volume goes down on it's own. When this happens, even full volume is barely audible at highway speeds.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Any advice?

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 8:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: LT Audio advice

Sounds like a re-boot is in order. Mine used to squeal like a banshee after a few minutes. Disconnect the battery negative terminal for 10-20 minutes. Then re-connect, don't mind the big spark as this is normal. This forces the radio and radio controller to hard re-boot and often solves weird radio problems.

Also once the battery is hooked up turn the key on but don't start. Then rotate the throttle two full cycles, key off then on and start normally( this also erases the ECU memory so you just "reminded it" of closed and full throttle positions).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Thanx, I'll try it today.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 4:19 pm

I don't know if it's true for the 2005 like it is for the '03, but have your alarm remote handy as well. When I replaced my battery all my neighbors knew it.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 4:25 pm

don't forget.. you should reset the "TPS" when you reconnect the battery...

What follows is from the "Technical" area of this board..

What is this TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) reset I keep hearing about?
There is an area in the Motronic that can store slight alterations to the fuel mapping based upon the information it "learns" from your driving habits. This is why the characteristics of you bike may change substantially when the battery is disconnected for an extended period. All of the information that the Motronic has "learned" is lost. It will "learn" all over again after some driving but initially there will be a change. One of the things that BMW suggests is a TPS reset after the battery has been disconnected for an extended period. This procedure that we have all talked about on a number of occasions is to turn the ignition on, not start the bike and rotate the throttle from fully closed to wide open two full times. This gives the Motronic minimum and maximum values of the TPS to use as a starting point. From there it can begin to "learn" the optimum F.I. programming. None of this will affect the ignition timing, only the fuel mixture. This mapping and the slight alterations that the Motronic has "learned" is used across the range of engine operations. Contrary to what some have said a chip doesn't "kick in" at some specific RPM. The Motronic does shut off the fuel injectors until approximately 1500-1700 RPM while decelerating as long as the throttle is closed but they begin operating again as soon as this RPM threshold is passed or the throttle is opened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in