head set speakers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 11:06 am Thread Starter

head set speakers

Has anyone ever used headphone speakers to replace the head set speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 11:37 am

Re: head set speakers

Many of us have some sort of "speakers" in their helmets. Most of my helmets have some form of audio transducer that allows me to listen to electronically amplified inputs. So as not to get too wrapped up in definitions for h'phones and h'sets, etc., maybe you could suggest what you have now and what you're considering going to. Depending on the size of the "speaker" and the space available in your helmet, lots will surely work for you. Wiring, connections and safety of the installation are related concerns.
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

The 2002 LT I got now came with a stock headsets for the com. system that I installed in my helmets they are ok for the intercom but lack any sound quality for music .I was wondering if you could switch out those speaker with audio headphone speakers.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 1:11 pm

For our '02 I bought the J&M "basic" headsets and like yours they're good for the intercom but just ok for musice (the external speakers are much better). A step up in the J&M series has a "bass tube" on the speakers which, having heard them makes a big difference for the music. It would also negate the need to "redneck engineer".

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvx216
The 2002 LT I got now came with a stock headsets for the com. system that I installed in my helmets they are okay for the intercom but lack any sound quality for music .I was wondering if you could switch out those speaker with audio headphone speakers.
I'm currently using mostly J&M Elite headsets with the 2006 K12LT intercom / sound system as well as with an INTEGRTR IV (which has similar operations and specs) on my K11RS. It's worth noting that neither of these intercoms / sound systems provision tone controls for the helmet audio. However, you can adjust the motorcycle loudspeaker audio on the BMW system. Having said that, the combined BMW or INTEGRATR IV / Elite set up isn't that great sounding compared to a quiet room, audiophile headphones and a top notch source, but hey, it's surely okay for its intended use and listening environment. I've parted out countless other brands of headphones including Maxell, Koss, Panasonic, no brands, etc. -- you name it -- to get at the elements and reinstall them in a helmet. For my use, it's usually a helmet fit issue when selecting another headphone element rather than pursuing better sound. For example, my Shoei Multitec isn't particularly roomy in the ear pocket area (where you can stash a headphone element) compared to say my HJC Sy-Max. The elements I used instead actually fit, and, as it turned out were a little nicer sounding and more efficient than what they replaced. To be fair, there are many factors that can influence that perception. For example, part of that perception is often that with a smaller element, I can move them around a bit for more in the available pocket space in order to achieve more precise alignment with my ears. And that makes them seem louder and clearer. Yet, I'll also observe that, all other things being equal, the replacement elements I've tried so far tend to be equal to or better sounding than the Elites.
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:56 am

I have an Autocom system and like you I didn't care for the music tone of the stock speakers. So, I purchased a good set of stereo headphones and took the speaker elements out and then cut my stock autocom speakers off and attached the new stereo speakers. I stole the idea from this site and the music quality is awesome. I have to make sure that the speaker is directly over my ear after putting on my helmet-my wife never seems to have a problem with hers...I will see if I can find the thread that I was speaking of and paste it for you to look at.

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #7 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 11:08 am

Try this link...http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38126Hope this helps...there is another thread that has more pictures out there if you do a search on headset replacement. Hope this helps.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #8 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 11:24 am

Sometime last year a member posted that he installed some speakers from a Sony headset into his helmet. He said it was a great improvement. I've been keeping a set to install but haven't done it yet. I use a J&M headset in my Nolan N-com helmet. It seems to work OK but when I replace my helmet this year, I may go with a new headset and install the Sony speakers in my old helmet to see if they are better................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
Sometime last year a member posted that he installed some speakers from a Sony headset into his helmet. He said it was a great improvement. ................
That was me and it indeed worked and still work great. On one of my helmets I transplanted the H&R headset speaker drivers with Sony headphone speaker drivers. I did that because one side of my H&R headset stopped working. It involve a little bit of soldering. But now I am using an in-ear headset with noise reduction from JVC. I have a cable adapter that enables me to connect in-ear type headphone while still allowing to use the helmet microphone. In ear speakers plus noise reduction does a great job in isolating you from the external word's noises.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 3:32 am
Gold Supporter

Smile Re: head set speakers

You might try www.torkworld.com and take a good look at their xpro helmet speakers.
They are full range, omni-directional and very thin with outstanding audio fidelity. I have them installed in my NOLAN X 1002 full face, flip chin helmet. This company has other products worth looking at.

Terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in