KLT dual sport capabilities - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

KLT dual sport capabilities

Has anyone made the trip to Alaska and up the Haul Road to Prudoe Bay on an LT?

I'm thinking of going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 7:09 pm
BMW Guru

Re: KLT dual sport capabilities

I'm sure others here with more experience will chime in soon, but from what I've seen and read that's not a ride for an LT...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 9:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Has anyone made the trip to Alaska and up the Haul Road to Prudoe Bay on an LT?

I'm thinking of going.
I have not, but I did travel the full length of the Haul Road 1.5 years ago in a Princess Tours bus. I wouldn't be afraid to make the trip on my LT if I could be sure it wouldn't rain. However, in the rain the road becomes very slick and would be hard to manage on street tread tires.

So, I wouldn't take my LT up the haul road, but mainly due to lack of appropriate tread tires. The other issue is that you would NEVER get all of the mud and dust cleaned out of the nether regions of the bike!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 10:05 pm

The other issue is that you would NEVER get all of the mud and dust cleaned out of the nether regions

That's EXACTLY what my ex-wife said when I got off the "Princess" bus!!

Pussy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 8:13 am Thread Starter

I just found this. Great video. Check out how mud covered his final drive is after doing some of the mud section!

Yeah, it would be nice to hit it during a dry spell. The KLT handles hard packed dry dirt and gravel roads pretty well IMO, but getting blasted with the "prop wash" of one of those tractor trailers barreling down the mud slicked road doesn't look like fun....

I am getting up some enthusiasm for a ride to Alaska.
That would be a memorable trip
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 8:23 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Hey Curtis PM Motorman from Florida. He made the trip a few year ago on his LT

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 9:43 am

Wink Re: KLT dual sport capabilities

One thing to be aware of is the fact that the AlCan Hwy is so huge that there will always be some construction zones. And like someone else mentioned, the mud is very slimy when it rains (which it does!), but it is just as slimy when they water down the sections they are working on during dry days to keep the dust down!

I'm sure it is well within the LT's capability, but it may be tough keeping her upright in some sections if it gets too slimy. Just a caution.

Sounds like a great goal though!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 1:47 pm

Having followed CharlieVT for a few miles on some of Vermont's hard packed roads I'll testify to his ability. The biggest issue is going to be the weather. The slick, gumbo composition of the road surface after a rain is going to put the kibosh on the ride. Your options are to ride to the starting point and wait for a window of opportunity, ride on and sit out the periods of bad weather, ride out and head back if things turn bad. How much time are you allowing for this venture?

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #9 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 5:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I just found this. Great video. Check out how mud covered his final drive is after doing some of the mud section!

Yeah, it would be nice to hit it during a dry spell. The KLT handles hard packed dry dirt and gravel roads pretty well IMO, but getting blasted with the "prop wash" of one of those tractor trailers barreling down the mud slicked road doesn't look like fun....

I am getting up some enthusiasm for a ride to Alaska.
That would be a memorable trip
I agree, but I think I want a GS to make it on!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 11:40 am

A few years ago, on the way to the Utah CCR, I was in MT and ID (I know on the way to Utah from St Louis.. a little detour.)
I took my LT on a "shortcut" between highways that turned out to be all gravel. The LT seemed solid enough, but the sound was horrible.. I thought it was going to shake apart..
I slowed down a bit, but that didn't seem to help.
I had it max loaded, and there was a lot of washboard, but that was the beginning of the end for me and my LT.. I traded for a GS/A shortly after that.. (I always am solo too, that was another reason.)
I have a Alaska trip on my "bucket list" I'm 55, and work prevents me from taking a month off. Marriage prevents me from extended "solo" vacations. (I want to stay married.. )
So, when I go in the next few years it will be a quick one, where I miss 90% of what's up there..
If I still had the LT, I would still go, just try to stay as much paved as I could.
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #11 of 11 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 4:01 pm

I did an Ultimate CCC at the end of May in 2008 on my 2005 LT. As you have probably read in other posts weather is the key factor in a ride to Prudhoe. I was fairly lucky with only a slight drizzle of rain off and on, both on the ride up and the ride back. The more rain the nastier the road surface will be. The other hit and miss is road "construction" ie. re-grading and wetting that can be a real mess. If the road is dry you can make good time, just watch for ever changing road surfaces.

The LT is actually a very stable ride as long as you keep up your momentum, pick your line and stay with it. I had no problems on my ride other than fatigue from standing on the pegs when going through the whale snot. The bike handled everything that the Haul Road had to offer for the two days I was on it.. I did get so much calcium, mud and grit packed around the brake calipers that the back pads were gone and the rotor was scored. I spent about $15 at the Fairbanks carwash getting most of the shit off, but to this day if I dig deep enough I can still find souvenirs.

I made the trip solo and had an awesome experience, having done so I would not recommend doing the trip solo on an LT. If you were to go down (very easy to do in some areas) you might need some help getting back under way. The road is constantly being improved and my someday be paved all the way to Deadhorse, so get up there while it is still an adventure.

Chuck

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in