Quick Disconnects, High beam HID, Canisterectomy, Brown wire, Speedo Mod, etc - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Quick Disconnects, High beam HID, Canisterectomy, Brown wire, Speedo Mod, etc

Quick Disconnects, High beam HID, Canisterectomy, Brown wire, Speedo Mod, What am I forgetting?

Well I have an o-ring leak on my fuel tank and my fuel level tube is bent so I'm going to do the above repairs etc.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I should do or take into account. I'm going to do it all at once so want to make sure I have everything.

I also would appreciate suggestions on where to purchase the above as well. The quick release disconnects at $75 surely there are better options.

Thanks in advance.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:50 am

Re: Quick Disconnects, High beam HID, Canisterectomy, Brown wire, Speedo Mod, etc

Might as well change the fuel filter and the hoses leading to and from inside the tank. While the tank is off, check the air filter.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:02 pm

Re: Quick Disconnects, High beam HID, Canisterectomy, Brown wire, Speedo Mod, etc

Does the 2004 have the (in)famous brown wire ?.

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
Quick Disconnects, High beam HID, Canisterectomy, Brown wire, Speedo Mod, What am I forgetting?

Well I have an o-ring leak on my fuel tank and my fuel level tube is bent so I'm going to do the above repairs etc.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I should do or take into account. I'm going to do it all at once so want to make sure I have everything.

I also would appreciate suggestions on where to purchase the above as well. The quick release disconnects at $75 surely there are better options.

Thanks in advance.
Your 99 does not have the brown wire. Instead disconnect the temperature sensor at the airbox, on the front left side. Easier done with the tank removed, although some have done it with the tank in place. Installing Quick Disconnects will make future maintenance easier, since your 99 does not have them. Check the A&S BMW site or beemerboneyard for those QDs. They aren't cheap, but don't substitute those with plastic ones.
For the fuel level tube I would try ltparts.com or beemerboneyard.
Also based on your year/mileage you may want to replace the slave cylinder and drill the weep hole as a preventive measure.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Does the 2004 have the (in)famous brown wire ?.
My 03 did have it, so I suspect your 04 has it too. 05 and newer don't have the issue.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #6 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 1:16 pm

You can possibly straighten out your tube by running a socket down the inside of it. If it is too far gone, you might also check out www.cyclesrecycled.com for parts.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #7 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

So I have a new transmission and clutch with weep hole currently.

I have an external fuel filter and I think I will stick with it though I am going to upgrade the lines and the filter. Not sure. May put it back inside.... May go with stainless steel braided lines and a fancy metal filter.....

May as well ad the Rhinewest chip as I already have a Remus Exhaust.... Where is the best price on those these days? Anyone know?

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.

post #8 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 5:58 pm

You can try the boneyard.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon1.html

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #9 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 6:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

With most of the plastic off, it's a good time to flush brakes and clutch.
post #10 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 7:04 pm

Speaking of stainless steel braided lines, maybe now would be the time to replace the rubber brake lines. Probably a good preventive maintenance on a 99, regardless of mileage.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #11 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Speaking of stainless steel braided lines, maybe now would be the time to replace the rubber brake lines. Probably a good preventive maintenance on a 99, regardless of mileage.
It is an 04 with 30k but I may still consider it if the price is right. Thank you for all the suggestions....

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

Last edited by atrovarious; Jan 21st, 2010 at 10:33 pm.
post #12 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 3:50 pm

Got my QD`s from Beemerboneyard.com @ $75.95 not cheap but great quality.
My HID low beam upgrade from XenonDepot.com @ $169.99 using discount code BMWLT.com - plug & play - no problems.
Sláinte
Derek

May you be in Heaven half an hour before the Devil knows your dead
post #13 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaoite
Got my QD`s from Beemerboneyard.com @ $75.95 not cheap but great quality.
My HID low beam upgrade from XenonDepot.com @ $169.99 using discount code BMWLT.com - plug & play - no problems.
Sláinte
Derek
I'm pretty sure I spent half that 2 years ago... I would think they would be around 50 these days... H9? high beam on an 04?

I may go ahead and get the disconnects though I'm tempted to just put a coupling in there that can be clamped off. Seen too pricey for something I may never remove again...

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #14 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 6:44 pm

Quote:
It is an 04 with 30k but I may still consider it if the price is right. Thank you for all the suggestions....
Sorry Jason, your RS is a 99. then don't worry about it yet.
The high beam on your 04 is an H3, low beam H7. See here for pricing from DDM Tuning on HID motorcycle kits.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #15 of 19 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Sorry Jason, your RS is a 99. then don't worry about it yet.
The high beam on your 04 is an H3, low beam H7. See here for pricing from DDM Tuning on HID motorcycle kits.
Thanks bud. I think I bought my low beam from cq.... it's been two years though.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #16 of 19 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

I just bought all new low and high beam sets for the bike and car. I did so because I wanted the additional wattage and wasn't happy with my other HID set and because I like some continuity.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #17 of 19 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Quote:
You can go to home depot and check out the plumbing section. From there you can get a brass couping for a few dollars. I think you need 1/4 inch, plus you'll need the metal ties (i forgot what they're called)

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

ebay is great for parts, but this late in the winter it will be a little hard to find used parts.

02 LT
post #18 of 19 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
You can go to home depot and check out the plumbing section. From there you can get a brass couping for a few dollars. I think you need 1/4 inch, plus you'll need the metal ties (i forgot what they're called)

ebay is great for parts, but this late in the winter it will be a little hard to find used parts.
Yeah I thought about going that route as well and just clamping the hoses when I take it apart but I sprang for the quick disconnects...... I figured since I was going to take pictures I might as well make it look nice.....

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #19 of 19 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Wink Re: Quick Disconnects, High beam HID, Canisterectomy, Brown wire, Speedo Mod, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno

That is exactly what I did when one of my Plastic QD's which I had installed years ago broke. In fact, even though I have since replaced the QD's with metal ones, I still carry the two brass barbed couplings just in case I might need a fix on the road some day.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in