Pet enclosure fitted in passenger seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Pet enclosure fitted in passenger seat

I've been searching high and low for an enclosure that can be mounted in the passenger seat of my LT. Like many of you, I want to take my dog along with me on my rides. She weights about 22lbs. I'd love to buy a cargo trailer, but cannot afford the cost and I lack the storage space to keep it. Does anyone found/have such a device? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Re: Pet enclosure fitted in passenger seat

This is the only thing I have ever seen, it is a trailer so it may not be what you are looking for. Hope this link works:

http://www.fibroconcept.com/en/produ...-pet-hatch.cfm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 6:01 pm

A fellow club rider @ BGB carries his 'American Husky' in the top case were he has cut a hole in the lid so the dog can put out his head when he wants...don't go near his bike with the dog in the top box...he'll rip your head off LOL

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wouldn't a small pet carrier strapped onto the seat do the job?

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper
A fellow club rider @ BGB carries his 'American Husky' in the top case were he has cut a hole in the lid so the dog can put out his head when he wants...don't go near his bike with the dog in the top box...he'll rip your head off LOL
I'd give up good money to see that..
post #6 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

Skydiver, the link worked fine, but that is not what I'm looking for...but thanks.
Bighopper and Pickerbiker, I thought of both of those ideas too, but I spent a lot on my bike and did not want to 'hack' it up with a hole in the top rack or strap on a kennel. I would like something sleek and safe. Thanks!
post #7 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Just a suggestion but BeemerBoneYard has 3 rear case lids starting at $55. You could always get one and cut a hole in it and then change it out when you are going to take the Pup for a ride.
post #8 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 11:27 pm

You could always get a Flatbed and put a pet carrier on it. It fast to mount or take off and the mounting hardware is not in the way of anything. BMR makes it.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 7:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diolach
Just a suggestion but BeemerBoneYard has 3 rear case lids starting at $55. You could always get one and cut a hole in it and then change it out when you are going to take the Pup for a ride.
My thoughts exactly!

I'll post pictures as soon as mine is done. I bought a damaged right-side saddlebag cover from my dealer and I'm having an openings cut out in order to install a lexan window on the side and a grille on the back (facing rear) so the cat can see outside and breathe on the way to the vet.

BTW: make sure you install the carrier on the right side because the hot silencer is on the left.
post #10 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 7:51 am

Just a thought - with absolutely no proof to back it up - but I would not want to be riding sideways if I was a dog. I think he would feel very unstable - and it might even cause "sea sickness".

The other issue is that canines are VERY visually oriented. If you have ever noticed when you take one for a walk they are always head up looking left to right scanning the horizon. They are hunting and looking for food - an instinct that cannot be ignored.

I modified a carrier for KoKo, our 13 pound poodle that sits on the "tank", behind the windshield and away from wind chill. He straddles the center line and can see ahead. I also made a foam bed and cover from thick, clear vinyl that zips over top when it gets cold and wet. A down vest also travels with him at all times. Hey, he's a poodle and doesn't have any fur! ... kind of like his Dad's HEAD!

At 22 pounds your pooch is probably too big to put on the tank. Not quite sure what the solution is for you... all I know that putting a dog in a trailer is just plain cruel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoKo's carrier 001.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	26007   Click image for larger version

Name:	KoKo's carrier 002.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	26008   Click image for larger version

Name:	KoKo's carrier 003.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	26009   Click image for larger version

Name:	KoKo's mc kennel 001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	26010   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL seat and KoKo's new monkey 009.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	26011  

Name:	CL seat and KoKo's new monkey 010.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	26012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah vacation pictures 026.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	26013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah vacation pictures 037.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	26014  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jan 21st, 2010 at 8:15 am.
post #11 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:10 am

I tried to train my Pitbull terrier, Mary Jane, to sit on the rear seat. She'd jump up there and sit nicely.
I started the bike and began rolling back and forth to let her feel the sensation of movement and get accoustomed to rolling. We did fine in the driveway but, like all dogs, especially Pitbulls, they love to run. When we got to the street and about 15 MPH she bailed! Hit the ground, rolled into a ball, sprang up and was off to the races! No worse for wear.
Good luck!
post #12 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 3:16 am

Ron, you have a POODLE named KoKo? And you admit it? You sir are a real man!

Now take a look at a motorcycle ridin' pooch if there ever was one! I swear, Bullethead the Boston Terrier would wear a tutu, stand on his hind legs and bark at the moon if he thought he could snag some groceries!

He has his own sidecar to ride in but we have to give him diphenhydramine to "calm his nerves".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Just a thought - with absolutely no proof to back it up - but I would not want to be riding sideways if I was a dog. I think he would feel very unstable - and it might even cause "sea sickness".

The other issue is that canines are VERY visually oriented. If you have ever noticed when you take one for a walk they are always head up looking left to right scanning the horizon. They are hunting and looking for food - an instinct that cannot be ignored.

I modified a carrier for KoKo, our 13 pound poodle that sits on the "tank", behind the windshield and away from wind chill. He straddles the center line and can see ahead. I also made a foam bed and cover from thick, clear vinyl that zips over top when it gets cold and wet. A down vest also travels with him at all times. Hey, he's a poodle and doesn't have any fur! ... kind of like his Dad's HEAD!

At 22 pounds your pooch is probably too big to put on the tank. Not quite sure what the solution is for you... all I know that putting a dog in a trailer is just plain cruel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5-30-09 003.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	543.2 KB
ID:	26020  

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Ron, you have a POODLE named KoKo? And you admit it? You sir are a real man!

Now take a look at a motorcycle ridin' pooch if there ever was one! I swear, Bullethead the Boston Terrier would wear a tutu, stand on his hind legs and bark at the moon if he thought he could snag some groceries!

He has his own sidecar to ride in but we have to give him diphenhydramine to "calm his nerves".
LOL!

Well, Steinbeck was a poodle kinda' guy, and Napoleon used them for guard dogs - so yes - they are man's dog.

Hey, at least I don't dress him up in biker outfits like some folks do with their hounds!

(I've always said that if I was single having a poodle would be an instant chick magnet - they are irresistible to women. KoKo is really his Momma's boy...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Amy and KoKo.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	26021  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 2:37 pm

It's not exactly a pet, but I've had a plastic cat-carrier on my rear seat numerous times tied down to the sidecase grabhandles with a bungee net. A coworker lives near a game farm and I buy pheasant & quail for training my hunting dog. He picks them up, brings them to the office, and I ride home with them strapped on the back seat. It gets a few strange looks especially at stopsigns, but so far I've never had any of them get motion sickness!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #15 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 5:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #16 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 5:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
LOL!

Well, Steinbeck was a poodle kinda' guy, and Napoleon used them for guard dogs - so yes - they are man's dog.

Hey, at least I don't dress him up in biker outfits like some folks do with their hounds!

(I've always said that if I was single having a poodle would be an instant chick magnet - they are irresistible to women. KoKo is really his Momma's boy...)
My family had a poodle when I was young, but he had a proper poodle name - Pierre. He was very smart and made a good "alarm" dog as he would bark at anything, but a "guard" dog? That is truly hilarious. I haven't seen a poodle yet that I couldn't punt 5 yards.

Remember, Napoleon was a little squirt so to someone his size a poodle probably did look like a real dog!

I have a husky/shepherd mix at the moment, but she is a lousy guard dog. She looks fierce from a distance, but she barks at nothing other than other animals at night, and she is friendly to a fault. So, she would neither warn of danger nor protect from danger! The only strange thing is that she absolutely hates wood chucks. She has killed probably half a dozen in the 6 years I have had her, one of which she literally dug out of this hole! I think she must have had a bad experience with a wood chuck as a pup. I can't be sure as she was a year old when I inherited her.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 6:17 pm

I haven't seen a poodle yet that I couldn't punt 5 yards.

Meet Kujo; our OTHER poodle.

You can try to punt him 5 yards but it won't happen. Once he clamps on to your foot he won't let go!

Oddly enough, the Germans are responsible for the breed and the standards - at up to 70 lbs. - make excellent general hunting dogs. Leave it to the French to miniaturize them and totally screw things up...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kujo.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	26029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cujo.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	26030  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #18 of 19 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 7:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I haven't seen a poodle yet that I couldn't punt 5 yards.

Meet Kujo; our OTHER poodle.

You can try to punt him 5 yards but it won't happen. Once he clamps on to your foot he won't let go!

Oddly enough, the Germans are responsible for the breed and the standards - at up to 70 lbs. - make excellent general hunting dogs. Leave it to the French to miniaturize them and totally screw things up...
I showed the picture to my dog, Brandy. She said, "Snack, snack!!"

I could hardly restrain her. :-)

I think she thought it was a wood chuck...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 19 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for your enclosure ideas and your comments on punting, chick magnets, German and French dogs.

I liked Dmatson idea the most about the platform attached to the frame. I would like to take a stab at building a fiberglass enclosure on top the platform.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in