Passenger Comfort with a Russell Seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 6:30 am Thread Starter

Passenger Comfort with a Russell Seat

I have read many threads on the improved comfort level for the rider with a seat redo from Russell, but how do the SO's feel about the custom seat redo? I have the "soft touch" and I want the seats to match, so I am going to have the rider, passenger seat and the back rest done. My wife has only slight discomfort with the stock seat, and I would hate to have her seat rebuilt and lose the comfort that she has with the stock unit. I am looking forward to getting rid of the not so "soft touch" for the up coming season.

Thanks Rick

Rick Higginbotham

2005 K1200 LT Dark Graphite
1999 K1200 LT Canyon Red
1982 GPZ 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 8:24 am

Re: Passenger Comfort with a Russell Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12Rick
I have read many threads on the improved comfort level for the rider with a seat redo from Russell, but how do the SO's feel about the custom seat redo? I have the "soft touch" and I want the seats to match, so I am going to have the rider, passenger seat and the back rest done. My wife has only slight discomfort with the stock seat, and I would hate to have her seat rebuilt and lose the comfort that she has with the stock unit. I am looking forward to getting rid of the not so "soft touch" for the up coming season.

Thanks Rick
I have a Russell,( drivers) and kept the "soft touch" seat for my wife, and so far we have done around 10,000 miles last year and she is confortable. The Russell is a great seat, and have done some 700 mile days without any discomfort. Well worth the investment.
Good luck!!
Bowdon
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 9:41 am

Had both mine done last year. Wife says the Russell is much better. Don't see how it couldn't be when you look at the side support. Sort of cradles her in, and that's what she says. Also says that she feels more secure in the curves.
I also put on boards for her, and she like those better than pegs.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 3:03 pm

I do not nor have had a Russell Seat, but as with most reputable customer service oriented custom seat manufacturers, which I believe Russell to be, the seat can be made comfortable for the passenger as well as the rider. These custom seat vendors will usually ask for, in addition to pictures seated on the motorcycle, specifics needs, wants and sizing info from which they are guided in making the seat. Then after sale they typically will allow the seat to be sent or brought in for adjustments if needed. I would have your wife articulate exactly what she likes and dislikes about the current seat and then communicate that to Russell.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 8:31 pm

I have a GS with a Russell and a GT with a Bill Meyer. I prefer the Russell for comfort and my SO likes the Bill Meyer. Guess which bike gets ridden two up the most?
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 6:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, I just sent Russell the required pictures. The build date is in February. Anytime that you are going to change something on the bike in an effort to gain some comfort you get apprehensive. I am not too concerned about the changes to my seat, it could'nt get much worse, but I just wanted to make sure that my wife is happy with the change. She is my riding partner, we ride a lot together. Again thankyou all for taking the time to respond.

Rick

Rick Higginbotham

2005 K1200 LT Dark Graphite
1999 K1200 LT Canyon Red
1982 GPZ 1100
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 3:46 pm

Both of your posts are worded that you feel that a custom saddle might be "worse" than original.
Be positive my friend........you're gonna love it.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 4:44 pm

Yep, what KK said. After I got mine, I went for a short ride, and wondered if I had screwed up. Not long after that, a couple of us went for a 2,200 mile, 4 day ride. Got back and suddenly realized just how comfortable the ride had been. Best thing I did! You'll like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in