New Kid on the Block with Shift Linkage ques - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

New Kid on the Block with Shift Linkage ques

Hello folks. I have just had the good fortune to buy my 1st K1200LT. I had been previously been riding a Kawasaki Nomad that I had a lot of good luck with. I am looking for any advice on any potential pitfalls to making the switch. I bought a 2005 unit with less than 30,000 miles, and it appears to be well loved, but because I bought it very late in the season I will not be able to get it on the road until the spring (I live north of Toronto Canada sigh)

I have read some articles on the gear shift linkage being a bit fragile. Is this true, or more of an exageration. I am now a bit afraid to venture far from home.

The other thing is that the bike came with a Baehr intercom and I was wondering of there is a Canadian or US supplier.

Any input would be appreciated, and I look forward to being part of the community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:40 pm

Re: New Kid on the Block with Shift Linkage ques

Robert,
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of info and a lot of helpful people around here.

You asked about the shift linkage. It's not weak, but it does like to have a good coat of grease in the four ball and socket joints. Once you remove the left footrest, you'll see the longer of the two linkages attached to the shift lever. The shorter one is farther in. They are held in place by a spring wire. Hard to describe how to remove the wire retainers. They wrap around just below the ball. Pry the wire retainer loose, rotate it back, then it will slide out of its hole. The sockets will then come off the balls. Sounds more complicated than it is.

A shop manual would be extremely helpful. Also, look for a tech session you can attend this spring. Members get together to work on bikes and it's reassuring to have somebody looking over your shoulder that has had their hands in the beast a time or two.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 48 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:40 pm

People tend to make posts about the bad, and ugly before they have anything good to say. I haven't had any trouble with the linkage.

Don't worry about the bike; run it, keep the tach above 3K, and fix something if it breaks.

Welcome to the forum; you're going to love all the help that is available here. Just do some searches, and pretty much any question can be answered.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 48 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Garage

+1 for Hallzee and Lee (Lee, nice bike buddy!) the linkage is fine, unless A. Your riding the mogul section of your local dirt track while on the shifter. or B. You drop her on "that" side.....
I do however carry spare ball joints as they were a gimmie with the bike. Never had the need to use them. If it makes you feel better do the same. and ride... If you get into a pinch and one breaks off, pull over, find 3rd gear and get someplace that you can repair it right.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 48 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 6:30 am

Hey Stock,

As others have said you will love this bike but you will also need to get used to all of it's capabilities and differences from your previous ride. Not sure how mechanically capable you are but if you enjoy wrenching at all, you will also get to know the bike better by doing all of your own maintenance.

In so far as the shift linkage goes, it is not a bad idea to do some preventive maintenance by cleaning and greasing the ball joints. I have a Clymer manual which, along with this forum, is a great confidence builder if you plan to tackle just about any job.

Welcome aboard and keep us posted on your progress... we are as close as your keyboard and can always find excuses for a ride.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #6 of 48 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 7:18 am

Some have mentioned the cleaning and greasing of the ball sockets, but the MAIN reason for ball stud breakage is that their threads can work loose, and if they do they are pretty easy to break off.

An occasional check to be sure the studs are properly tightened into the arms will pretty much prevent breakage, unless you stomp on the gear change lever, or drop the bike on it.

The design is not inherently weak at all, but loosening of the ball studs makes it weak.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 48 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 9:40 am

Wink Re: New Kid on the Block with Shift Linkage ques

Welcome to the asylum Robert! I am attaching a file that was copied off this site and authored by our own Mark Neblett. It really does a great job of explaining the shift linkage, and even has pics!

HTH,

John
Attached Files
File Type: doc Shift Linkage.doc (355.0 KB, 219 views)

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 48 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:31 am

After having my shift linkage fall apart at 9000 miles on my 2002 LTC in Boise, Idaho during the spring of 2003, I have it checked everry time I go to the dealer.

I have a complete set of factory linkage parts I carried around for years come to think about it...I'll sell em if someone wants em since I totalled my bike.
post #9 of 48 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 2:35 pm

My shift linkage did break on me in a small town in eastern Oregon. I put it in 3rd gear, manually, and rode it, two up, to our destination. There I fixed it in a motel parking lot.

It did appear that one of the balls had backed out and snapped. Easy fix. Lesson learned is that checking and greasing is a scheduled maintainance item, I carry a spare, and I carry the tools I need should I have to fix again. Knowing how it all works is a huge plus.

I'm not complaining, it's just a lesson learned. Easily dealt with, and not enough to keep me from venturing as far from home as I can get.
post #10 of 48 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 4:40 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Really nothing more then a maintenance check/item. I check it every fluid change, (3000 miles in my obsessive/compulsive world) and lube and clean every 12,000 miles.

It does feel great after a cleaning and lube. I could tell for sure.

As said it is the studs working out exposing the ball end to less support and breaking. Mine were tight on all checks.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 48 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 6:28 pm

On the shift linkage issue: they have been upgraded and are beefier on the 05 and later models so you should be OK. With that said don't neglect the basic maintenance (greasing every once in a while).
The Baehr intercom is great. If you need cables or accessories I would suggest contacting Raffy on this site as he is a reseller and an esteemed member of this forum.
Welcome to the asylum!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 48 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 12:17 pm

I have an 02 LT. My shift linkage broke 3 times last year. Once in St. Louis, MO, once in Columbus, Ohio and the last time a block from my house in Virginia.
Each time it was repaired at a BMW shop, except for the last time because the bike now sits in my garage with a broken linkage.
I'm thinking the BMW gods hate me.
Any suggestions?
post #13 of 48 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggurnard
I have an 02 LT. My shift linkage broke 3 times last year. Once in St. Louis, MO, once in Columbus, Ohio and the last time a block from my house in Virginia.
Each time it was repaired at a BMW shop, except for the last time because the bike now sits in my garage with a broken linkage.
I'm thinking the BMW gods hate me.
Any suggestions?

A couple of questions. Is it greased from time to time? When broken, where exactly on the linkage? Were the links dry when it broke?

Maybe you're a little heavy on the shifter? :-)

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 48 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 4:43 pm

Well...less than 30 days elapsed between each time the linkage broke.
The first time Aug 29, 09, the second time was Sept 21, 09 and the last time was mid October 09.
Do you need to lube linkage once a month or more?
Also, in each incidence the linkage broke just after starting out on a ride.
I don't think I apply to much pressure to the shifter when I shift. I would think you would have to jump up and down on it to break it (which I have not done).
??
post #15 of 48 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 4:47 pm

Also, I'm not sure where the linkage broke, because I had it repaired at a BMW shop so I didn't actually see the damage.
post #16 of 48 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 5:02 pm

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure where the linkage broke, because I had it repaired at a BMW shop so I didn't actually see the damage.

Was it the same shop that fixed it both times?

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #17 of 48 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 5:52 pm

no, first repair was in St Louis, the second repair was in Columbus
post #18 of 48 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 7:56 pm

Since the linkage is broken and in your garage it is now easy to see where the problem is.

Take off the left peg and look. You need to know how to take the linkage off to get the peg off if the linkage is still connected but when it's broken the peg comes off the the bike with just the three Allen screws that you can see.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #19 of 48 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 8:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
I would blame the dealer because he failed to make sure all the ball studs were tight. If they are tight you can almost stomp on it and not break them. I lube mine at 12K service and I often find one that has worked loose (there are four of them). They come with dry red loctite on them but will work loose if oil gets on the threads during install.

Often people force the shifter into first gear after having pulled in the clutch for to long before hand. (All the stuff in the gear box has stopped moving, not good for engaging the dogs on the gears) Next time on that first shift ease out the clutch as you lightly press on the shifter and see if doesn't go into gear like a hot knife into butter.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #20 of 48 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 9:10 pm

In the midst of servicing my linkage and glad I did since one was loose and the back two balls were dry. I removed the flange and will be cleaning the foot plate connection.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #21 of 48 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:31 pm
Super Moderator

2002LT
Bought spare linkages - never used
Linkage - never loose
Had the linkage apart for maintenance and inspection about every other year

Often thought high forces could be the root cause like a drop, big boots (size 12) or heavy shifting - but I believe vibrations would generally be the culprit that starts it all - ever touch some of the drive train components when running down the road at 5000 rpm.

My 2 cents

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #22 of 48 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:29 am

After reading several posts on the possible breakage of the shifter linkage, I decided to upgrade to a beefier one I found here, http://www.powergridinc.com/bmw.asp. I've kept the original as a backup.

Sigma1959

post #23 of 48 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:56 am

Oh,
I like this
I think I will get me some too

Eric
post #24 of 48 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
2002LT
Bought spare linkages - never used
Linkage - never loose
Had the linkage apart for maintenance and inspection about every other year

Often thought high forces could be the root cause like a drop, big boots (size 12) or heavy shifting - but I believe vibrations would generally be the culprit that starts it all - ever touch some of the drive train components when running down the road at 5000 rpm.

My 2 cents
I had a ball break because it became loose. The shaft on that ball just cannot take the forces applied to it when it is not seated properly. Since the initial break I have done the inspection every 6k and once I replaced the rubber dirt protectors because they went back to dinosaur stuff even that inspection can probably move to the 12K. If it didn't shift so much cleaner when I do the task I probably would but I like the soft clean shifts after the service.

I ordered my parts just after I bought the bike. Same as the tethers. I got that advice as you need these parts.... I'm glad I did both. BTW, The only parts I keep getting are those nasty little clips that just seem to vaporize when you leave them alone for a little while.

Stronger parts are not necessary.. Grease is the key part that is needed.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #25 of 48 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 6:13 pm

$100

$20 and I'm sold.....

$100

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #26 of 48 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 2:20 pm

I'm getting my LT out of the shop tomorrow after having the shift linkage repaired for the third time in less than 90 days.
First, I have to say thanks to Stuart at Morton's BMW for making the repair at his expense...especially when the original work was not done in his shop.

Secondly, my next touring bike will certainly be the Gold Wing.
When I encountered these problems with the linkage I was on the road for work related activities. I incurred additional lodging and meal expenses as a result of the failed linkage.
I contacted BMW corporate and their response was essentially," We're sorry you had a bad day, but we're not going compensate you in any way.
While the problems I have had with the linkage have been an anomaly, the demeanor/attitude of BMW corporate left no doubt in my mind that I had purchased a bike from the wrong company...a mistake I will not make twice.
And that's kind of sad for me, because as a kid growing up, reading every motorcycle magazine I could get my hands on from cover to cover, my dream bike was the BMW touring machine.
Not so much anymore...moving on now.
post #27 of 48 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 2:29 pm

See ya!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #28 of 48 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marte
Thank you So let share with you the latest models of all types of cars is very amazing http://shortlinks.co.uk/1pq7 2010
Would somebody please eat the troll?

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #29 of 48 Old Jun 5th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma1959
After reading several posts on the possible breakage of the shifter linkage, I decided to upgrade to a beefier one I found here, http://www.powergridinc.com/bmw.asp. I've kept the original as a backup.
This linkage does NOT fit the '05 and newer bikes - which have a larger stud that screws into the shifter lever. They were supposed to have updated the web site to reflect this change but have not done it yet.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #30 of 48 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 5:48 pm

I snapped off the ball inboard of the shifter on my first ride on my '99 3 years ago. I limped the few miles home in 3rd and removed the cover. Once I had a look at the linkage system, it was easy to understand that these components need to be handled with a bit of respect i.e., be careful not to get impatient when it doesn't slip right into 1st at a stop. Roll the bike a foot or 2 and it will engage. Hitting it harder never makes it go in.

The entire linkage is a tad tedious, but a no-bainer to replace. I replaced all components last month at 74k, and it feels sooo much better.

All bikes have their issues. Few have forums such as this by which one may get educated and maximize the understanding and enjoyment of their ride.

Bill MacDonald
Redmond, WA

'99 LT "Luther"

'03 Aprilia Tuono "Thunder"
'09 K1300S "Rufus II"

"The more I learn, the less I know"
post #31 of 48 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Quote:
I'm getting my LT out of the shop tomorrow after having the shift linkage repaired for the third time in less than 90 days.
First, I have to say thanks to Stuart at Morton's BMW for making the repair at his expense...especially when the original work was not done in his shop.

Secondly, my next touring bike will certainly be the Gold Wing.
When I encountered these problems with the linkage I was on the road for work related activities. I incurred additional lodging and meal expenses as a result of the failed linkage.
I contacted BMW corporate and their response was essentially," We're sorry you had a bad day, but we're not going compensate you in any way.
While the problems I have had with the linkage have been an anomaly, the demeanor/attitude of BMW corporate left no doubt in my mind that I had purchased a bike from the wrong company...a mistake I will not make twice.
And that's kind of sad for me, because as a kid growing up, reading every motorcycle magazine I could get my hands on from cover to cover, my dream bike was the BMW touring machine.
Not so much anymore...moving on now.
Golly, when my car under factory warranty broke down on a business trip, they would not pay my expenses either, the dirty rats. Your bike is a 2002 and you're complaining about reimbursement, buy a 2002 Wing and flip a coin!
BTW, the Wing has its quirks also, I'm sure you will be the one to discover the quirks and bitch on the gl1800 forum...then on to .........a bicycle?!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #32 of 48 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Golly, when my car under factory warranty broke down on a business trip, they would not pay my expenses either, the dirty rats. Your bike is a 2002 and you're complaining about reimbursement, buy a 2002 Wing and flip a coin!
BTW, the Wing has its quirks also, I'm sure you will be the one to discover the quirks and bitch on the gl1800 forum...then on to .........a bicycle?!
SMOKIN' !!!!!!!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #33 of 48 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 9:43 am

Quote:
smokinjoe...please step away from the meth lab long enough to have a lucid thought...

while my bike is a 2002....in each instance when the linkage broke, THE LINKAGE PART WAS ONLY 20 DAYS OLD!!!!! (are you following me so far??? Here's a hint, if you stop drinking antifreeze your brain functions more efficiently)

And in each instance when THE LINKAGE was repaired, the work was done by a BMW certified technician.

Quality control of the part is a responsibility of BMW Corporate.
Training of the technicians is a responsibility of BMW Corporate.

So, clearly, either the part is defective, or the training is suspect or both...

It doesn't matter if I bought the bike yesterday or 300 years ago. If the part fails before it's 25 day anniversary, corporate is respsonsible and is clearly negligent.

By the way, in your opinion, the shift linkage failing every 20 days is a "quirk"??? Are you kidding me???
So, what you're saying is that I'm a bitch, because I expect the shift linkage on this bike to function longer than 20 days in a row??? Really!!! seriously???

On second thought, just stay in the meth lab, drink the antifreeze...and everything will be just fine...
post #34 of 48 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Quote:
I snapped off the ball inboard of the shifter on my first ride on my '99 3 years ago. I limped the few miles home in 3rd and removed the cover. Once I had a look at the linkage system, it was easy to understand that these components need to be handled with a bit of respect i.e., be careful not to get impatient when it doesn't slip right into 1st at a stop. Roll the bike a foot or 2 and it will engage. Hitting it harder never makes it go in.

The entire linkage is a tad tedious, but a no-bainer to replace. I replaced all components last month at 74k, and it feels sooo much better.

All bikes have their issues. Few have forums such as this by which one may get educated and maximize the understanding and enjoyment of their ride.
Thanks for the info hairpin.
I've noticed some difficulty getting the tranny into 1st from time to time. However, I never tried to force it. I release the clutch (with the transmission still in neutral) and then engage it again and then it shifts easily into 1st...I will incorporate your technique if that's a better way to handle it or it is easier on the mechanism..
I'm hoping to pick up the bike tomorrow, if time allows. In the meantime, I have set aside a set of the aftermarket enhanced version of the linkage that I'll be carrying on the bike.
I guess I'll need to add an appropriate EZ out and cordless drill as well.
post #35 of 48 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 5:25 pm

I had the shift linkage on my 2003 replaced with this one as a preventive measure. I bet this one won't break as easily as the OEM.

http://www.powergridinc.com/bmw.asp

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #36 of 48 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 6:20 pm

[QUOTE=ggurnard]

By the way, in your opinion, the shift linkage failing every 20 days is a "quirk"??? Are you kidding me???
So, what you're saying is that I'm a bitch, QUOTE] YES THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Last edited by SmokinJoe; Jun 7th, 2010 at 6:41 pm.
post #37 of 48 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Quote:
YES THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE!
wow...good one douchbag joe... Did your dog tell you to type that or do you have 3 drunk monkeys at your computer terminal 24/7 who do all your correspondence for you???
post #38 of 48 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 9:06 pm

Quote:
I had the shift linkage on my 2003 replaced with this one as a preventive measure. I bet this one won't break as easily as the OEM.
KayGee,
I have a set of these riding in my left side storage now.
Thanks for the suggestion!
post #39 of 48 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
My shift linkage did break on me in a small town in eastern Oregon. I put it in 3rd gear, manually, and rode it, two up, to our destination. There I fixed it in a motel parking lot.

It did appear that one of the balls had backed out and snapped. Easy fix. Lesson learned is that checking and greasing is a scheduled maintainance item, I carry a spare, and I carry the tools I need should I have to fix again. Knowing how it all works is a huge plus.

I'm not complaining, it's just a lesson learned. Easily dealt with, and not enough to keep me from venturing as far from home as I can get.
How did you manage to shift it with the linkage broken? Mine is broken now with the bike in 2nd and I am taking it to a dealer in Atlanta in a few days.
post #40 of 48 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Quote:
wow...good one douchbag joe... Did your dog tell you to type that or do you have 3 drunk monkeys at your computer terminal 24/7 who do all your correspondence for you???
[QUOTE=SmokinJoe]
Quote:
By the way, in your opinion, the shift linkage failing every 20 days is a "quirk"??? Are you kidding me??? So, what you're saying is that I'm a bitch, QUOTE][YES THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE!
ILMAO......

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #41 of 48 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 6:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnejr
How did you manage to shift it with the linkage broken? Mine is broken now with the bike in 2nd and I am taking it to a dealer in Atlanta in a few days.

Remove the foot plate or look up under it and you will see the short arm on the transmission. Just bump it up one notch and you will be in third. You can start out in third but you really have to feather the clutch. But third gear is good at hiway speeds (first will take you to 62 mph before you hit the rev limiter.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #42 of 48 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 8:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Remove the foot plate or look up under it and you will see the short arm on the transmission. Just bump it up one notch and you will be in third. You can start out in third but you really have to feather the clutch. But third gear is good at hiway speeds (first will take you to 62 mph before you hit the rev limiter.
Thank you.
post #43 of 48 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 1:24 pm

To the OP... Either you took your bike to some idiots to repair or you're abusing it...

Three linkages in 90 days ? Is it breaking the same ball each time ?

The linkage itself is not fragile it's the ball studs that screw into the various components..

They back out and then snap off... So either when repaired they weren't fixed right. OR and this may be the real case, The threads are damaged at some point on one of the pivots and the ball really can't get tight.. Is it the same one everytime ? You need to get involved in this to see that it's fixed correctly.. I believe this is most likely your real problem.

My LT was a 99 and I NEVER had an issue with the shifter linkage.. I kept the ball joints tight and greased and everything worked as intended... This is not a high maintenance item...

So if you're not abusing the bike.. Look for something else causing the ball stud to get loose and then break off...You might need to replace the pivot or the piece on the transmission shifter shaft...

Don't throw away a great bike because of such a tiny problem...

They'll be way bigger ones than this come along soon enough..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #44 of 48 Old Jun 28th, 2010, 7:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Since the linkage is broken and in your garage it is now easy to see where the problem is.

Take off the left peg and look. You need to know how to take the linkage off to get the peg off if the linkage is still connected but when it's broken the peg comes off the the bike with just the three Allen screws that you can see.
Two questions, how do you get the peg and plate off when the linkage is still connected, and what is the best technique to get it back together after you either repair or service the linkage? My K1200 has a hannigan trike kit and no access from below that I can see, there might be some limited access from below if it is up on a jack.

Thanks for thougts. Rich
post #45 of 48 Old Jun 28th, 2010, 12:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnejr
Two questions, how do you get the peg and plate off when the linkage is still connected, and what is the best technique to get it back together after you either repair or service the linkage? My K1200 has a hannigan trike kit and no access from below that I can see, there might be some limited access from below if it is up on a jack.

Thanks for thougts. Rich
It is not real easy until you have done it a few times. I find that removing the silver lower fairing on that side will allow my ham fisted hands to fit up in there. The trick is feeling the end of the clip that locks the ball pin in the socket. once you get that rotated out and removed the rest is easy. Shift Linkage Also if you pull on the plate too hard you can bend the locking clip and make it rather difficult to remove.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #46 of 48 Old Jun 28th, 2010, 2:53 pm

Where's 'stockbiker'? Disappeared?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #47 of 48 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Thumbs up Re: New Kid on the Block with Shift Linkage ques

Quote:
To the OP... Either you took your bike to some idiots to repair or you're abusing it...
Well, I'm not abusing the bike and the repair personel were BMW technicians

Quote:
Three linkages in 90 days ? Is it breaking the same ball each time ?
I'm not certain of that, because I only really took a close look at the damage on the last break ...it was the outside ball joint. In the other two instances I just found a dealer and let them repair it. However I did call the shop who did the first repair and they remembered replacing the outside ball joint....the shop that did the second repair said they did not remember which one they replaced.

The most recent repair included replacing the component that the ball joint screws into..
Since the repair, I've only ridden the bike back from the dealer to my garage...could have rode to RI and back this weekend, but I had to be sure I'd make it there for work, so I took the cage instead...
I may do a ride to Florida this weekend just to see how it holds up, as on this trip I'll have time to deal with breakdowns if they occur.

Quote:
...The threads are damaged at some point on one of the pivots and the ball really can't get tight.. Is it the same one everytime ? You need to get involved in this to see that it's fixed correctly.. I believe this is most likely your real problem.
I think you're right about the threads and that is my best guess also...

Thanks for the help, John
post #48 of 48 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 4:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
It is not real easy until you have done it a few times. I find that removing the silver lower fairing on that side will allow my ham fisted hands to fit up in there. The trick is feeling the end of the clip that locks the ball pin in the socket. once you get that rotated out and removed the rest is easy. Shift Linkage Also if you pull on the plate too hard you can bend the locking clip and make it rather difficult to remove.
What works for me is a pair of long nose pliers with an overall length of 12". The extra length gives you a shallower angle to snap the little wire holders in place

Just a thought,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in