Harley to BMW 1200 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Harley to BMW 1200 LT

Is there anyone out there that rode UltraClassics before you bought your LT? Please share your experience with me. I'm thinking about buying a 1200 LT!

Thanking you in advance,

Jim Gaines
Sugar Land, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Re: Harley to BMW 1200 LT

I had an Ultra Classic before I bought my LT. In Oct of 05 I found a really good deal on a 2000 LT, and purchased it. I decided to ride them both, and whichever one I didn't like I would sell. BTW, I loved that Ultra, and had put over 50000 miles on it in the three priors year. In any event, I hardly ever rode the Ultra after I purchased the LT. I love the LT, although I do find the maintence to be a pain. About the only thing I think the Ultra has equal to, or better than the LT, is the low end torque, and I do think the riders seat is more comfortable. I have no reqrets about the LT.
post #3 of 33 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 8:24 pm
BLB

yes traded 05 lt with 36000 on it for 2010 flhtc i now have 11000 miles on the hd so for it is a great bike VERY VERY comforable i have no trouble with heat it is a little lacking on horse power but more tork. than the bemmer i had a lot of trouble with bmw in shop a lot of the time i owen it. would not say i would never owem another bm but would be hard to get me off the flhtc plus i like having dealers everywhere I ride 100% of the time 2 up it has plenty of power for me.

post #4 of 33 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Yes, 2 HDs in the past. My riding buddies are all HD guys except a goldwing guy. I can "ride" them into the ground if I want to. Seriously, I can outrun, outpace, outcorner, outstop, and outlast the other guys. It becomes painfully obvious who has the superior machine, in any area that can be measured. I would like to have another ultra, but for short trips, or rides to the bar dale
post #5 of 33 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your input Dale. What about the maintainance and shop time? I've heard some horror stories about breakdowns and routine maintainance.

Jim Gaines
post #6 of 33 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 9:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I sold my 2001 Ultra with 20K on it and bought my 2007 LT new in February of '07. Reasons for the change:
1) I was tired of dragging the shiny parts of the HD in the corners.
2) The HD corners like a gumby pig.
3) The LT gets about 50 mpg...I never got over 40 with the Harley.
4) My SO and I do quite of bit of long distance touring with her on pillion. I don't believe I could pay her enough money to get back on the HD after experiencing the LT for long distance riding.
5) The LT handles like it's on rails, with FAR superior braking ability.
6) The Xenon lighting on the LT is superb. The HD was like shining a weak flashlight.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the HD and had been riding HD's for about ten years. But bike to bike, there just isn't any comparison. I don't belive I would ever return to a Harley.

Suggest you visit a BMW dealer and take one for a ride before buying. You'll find most BMW dealers (unlike Harley dealers) welcome you to take an extended test ride.

Good luck.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #7 of 33 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Thank you Larry. Do you "feel" that the LT is engineered and designed better than the Harley? Your SO "really was that impressed with the LT"?

Last edited by paaniponos; Jan 18th, 2010 at 9:57 pm.
post #8 of 33 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaniponos
Thank you Larry. Do you "feel" that the LT is engineered and designed better than the Harley? Your SO "really was that impressed with the LT"?
With out a doubt the BMW is better engineered. My wife wouldn't get on anything other than the LT............absolutely astonishing.................trust me on that one..........
post #9 of 33 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Jim,
Welcome to the forum. Go do a test ride on the LT. You'll be hooked!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #10 of 33 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:24 pm

I can give you a little perspective on this. I rode Harley's for about the last 18 years. About 18 month ago I wanted to upgrade from my 2002 Screamin Eagle Road King to a full dresser. The current models at the time didn't impress me. Primarily because they still had a skinny back tire on a 850 lb bike and the frame would feel unsettled in fast sweepers. I switched to BMW and bought a 2009 K1200LT. I've put about 23,000 miles on it so far and have no regrets. Of course 4 months after I switched to BMW Harley redesigned their touring bike frames and finally put a proper 180 tire on the back. The real reason for my response is that I took a demo ride on a 2010 Ultra Limited a few weeks ago. I haven't ridden any Harley since I bought My LT in 2008. There is a substantial difference between pre 2009 models and the current offerings. The bike even picked up more cornering clearance. With the Ultra Limiteds 103" engine it runs good. It won't beat the LT in a drag race but it does have effortless torque and decent acceleration. It's easier to handle at low speeds and it's lighter handling at speed too. I didn't see what your riding now. If you ridden an Ultra before you can expect more of the same but with a greatly improved chassis. If you haven't try to find a dealer that will let you demo one. The strange thing about my back to back comparison is how two completely different approaches to long range touring can both be excellent at the task.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #11 of 33 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:28 am

If ya can get a warranty- that would be some piece of mind.
As far as go.. The lil lady didnt care if there was a harley outside when I got home (friends) but when the LT was there and I showed up, the garage door was open and the helmet and jacket is on the bike... What does that tell ya.. Oh and I got a good supper too!

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 33 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 9:12 am

I nothing but big HD's most of my life. Back in 2005 I was a little upset with the "Motor Company" for it subborn refusal to start using advanced safety technology. So I bought a 05 LT with 4001 miles on it. Flew to Boston and took it home to NC.

I will be honest. The first 6 months was less than ideal. I dropped the bike at least 5 times. I was not accustomed to the higher center of gravity the LT had compared to years of HD's. For me the rider's seat was pure torture, however, the pillion liked the seat better than the HD, but she was being buffeting quite severely by the wind. I almost sold it. Glad I didn't.

I got used to the high center of gravity, I got an after-market windshield that worked for the pillion, I got an aftermarket seat and I learned that a motorcycle can actually accelerate, stop and most importantly turn without scraping anything. Later, I learned you can scrape stuff on the LT too.

I have not looked back and just bought another BMW to keep the LT company in the garage. The friends I had with HOG are still friends and I have made some good friends with the local MOA club. The LT has changed what I expect out of a motorcycle and the simple fact is that HD does not make a bike I would like to own right now.

As for maintenance, I have had some things go wrong but either the original warranty or extended warranty pretty much covered it. I did most of the work on my HD's and simple stuff on the LT. When it comes to more complex things (a relative term on the board) I let the dealer do it. Safety first.

I don't recall the HD maintenace schedule anymore, but I feel that BMW's are a tad more expense to maintain unless you do it yourself. Not that service intervals are shorter, but parts and labor tend to be more. Parts, cause most come from Germany (see dollar vs Euro value) and because the techs get paid a little more because most are skilled in a variety of bike manufacturerers (BMW, Ducati, Aprillia, Triumphs, MV Augusta, etc).

Hope this helps.

Ultra LT
post #13 of 33 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 9:46 am

I have ridden Harleys since I was 14 years old. My Uncle had a Harley Dealership. Just thought I would give you some background.....
I have been friends with my local BMW dealer for 30 years before I finally tried a BMW. He needed a LT trade in detailed. The previous owner was a farmer and lived on a gravel road...you can imagine how dirty it was....well....I detailed the bike for him and he said, "Take it for a ride." Well I had always been curious about the LT since it came out. Loved the design. Well.....took it for a ride...went back to get my Wife...went for another ride with her. We have never looked back.
My Wife who had not been on a trip since 1985.....took 3 trips last year totallying over 10000 miles. She did several 800-900 mile days without complaining!
The BMW K1200LT is the consumate touring bike. The Harley Davidson FLHCU or any other Harley....They are not the same class of bike!
They are cruisers.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #14 of 33 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't necessary want to say engineered and designed "better", just different with dramatically different results. A previous poster mentioned the new Ultra has been totally reengineered, which I've read, and has a much stiffer chassis which has improved the handling and ride. I did enjoy the low end torque of the HD, but at the end of the day, the LT just does everything I want a bike to do and does it much better than the HD.

Yes, my SO was blown away by the bike. This was not my first BMW as I had a K1100LT in the mid 90's. I also bought it as a touring bike, but it proved to be very marginal in that role and was never very comfortable for my SO. That was when we made the switch to HD, enjoyed them for 10 years, but are very happy to be on the LT now.

I will also echo a previous poster in the comment that, for me, the LT stock seat was a MISERABLE experience (same with my K1100LT...a German posterior must be far different from mine!) I replaced mine with a custom seat from Rich's in Seattle...pure heaven. On the other hand, my SO has loved her seat from day one and we've done several 800 mile days with no complaints from the pillion seat...also pure heaven.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #15 of 33 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:41 am

Another "Ultra" ex here also. I still miss the sound (not the loud) and NOBODY makes better tee-shirts than HD, but it's not about the shirt, it's about the ride. It's funny but all my HD ridding friends kinda fizzled off and still make a 100 mile ride and complete it in just under four hours. It's not about speed but I can set on the LT for hours and just keep going. The Ultra, I could set for a while but I was ready to get off and move around.
I have been impressed with the LT and I cannot see myself going back to HD. O'h, I have had my LT for just over four years.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #16 of 33 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 11:16 am

Yup.. same here.. "former" hd-ultra owner.

Never looking back...

The LT is a bit "higher maintenance"... but I gotta tell ya, It's worth it for the performance.

The "maintenance" is there to keep the machine purring.. not because "it has to be done"....as much as "this allows you to give the machine occasional attention.... after all, MC don't wear out overnight."

Where my HD had severe and dangerous handling issues, concerns over engine or electrical failures, etc, The LT has a risk of rear drive or clutch failure (due to seal leakage)....

Any machine can fail... but I'll take the "risk" of the LT over any HD product.
post #17 of 33 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 4:26 pm

You want to ride on the weekends and hang out at the bar, ride a harley.

Want to have a dependable bike that will take you where ever your feel like comfortabley, efficiently, and still have a load of fun, ride the LT.

02 LT
post #18 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 8:48 am

I figured I should probably step up and share my own H-D experiences for comparison to the LT. I have owned two dressers, an Evolution FLH Standard and a Twin Cam FLHTCUI. I had always been attracted to H-D's since I was a youngster, probably because of Evel Kneivel and the endless onslaught of advertising over the years, and because I ride to as many Grand National Dirt Track races as possible, the H-D seemed like a logical choice for a touring bike for me. So....let me compare a few things for you.
The first thing that comes to mind is luggage capacity and storage. This was a BIG issue for me. The H-D still to this very day has the same poorly designed saddlebags with lids that will either latch down crooked or just plain flop open at inopportune times. The top case (of course) only opens to the side, and putting a tankbag on in any workable fashion was nearly impossible. For comparison, the LT's luggage is water tight and it's possible to use both a tankbag and a case on the rack......yes, my wife and I carry a lot when we go on vacation.
Power and handling? You already know from everybody else's comments that there is no comparison. I have ridden a Screaming Eagle Street Glide recently and yes, it does indeed have torque and if blasting about whacking the throttle open just to irritate people with your straight pipes is your thing, then the Harley is King. Yes, the new Harleys handle pretty good....for Harleys.....but not compared to the LT. For covering distance swiftly and in comfort the LT is light years ahead. As far as passenger comfort, my wife reports that the LT is 'a thousand times better' than our previous Harleys and Wings. Keeping Momma happy is a Big Deal....'nuff said.
Living with each bike day to day? For myself, in either long trips or short jaunts, the LT is easier to ride. Part of that comes from being able to sit upright and not have to have my feet stuck out in front of me so that all my weight rides on my tailbone. Part of it is the power and handling (I love the way the motor feels), and part of it is just getting to have a damned centerstand!.
Maintenance? I will probably catch hell from other forum members, but I don't see the maintenance as an issue. I do almost all the work myself (just like I did with the H-D's) and thus far, I haven't had any real issues to deal with. In my eyes, the LT has 'character' and being involved in the maintenance only enhances that.
One last thing. I rode all my H-D's as much as I ride my LT, meaning I always expected them to be ready to go whenever I was. When my Evolution started spewing oil from the base of the cylinders, I rebuilt it with all new S&S pistons, jugs etc.......at 30K miles.
The Twin Cam was one of the first of the new motors. It went back to the dealer in a truck with an electrical problem with 26 miles on it. Not a big deal, I guess, they fixed it.....but pushing a brand new motorcycle across the busiest intersection in town was a little embarrassing. The kicker came when I had the bike loaded up and was headed out to the Springfield Mile on Labor Day. Wife and I...ready to go...tickets in hand......heading down the road.....when we experienced the infamous Cam Bolt Failure. There we sat, with a 20K bike with a blown motor, tickets to a race we couldn't attend, no dealer open, scrambling to find someone to haul the broken thing home.
Oh yeah......I got my warranty recall to fix the cam bolt problem the following Tuesday.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #19 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 11:30 am

Ive owned HDs since I was 16....and have in that time owned 3 Classics/UClassics....
The HD never gave me any assaches, they were dependable, gutless, and had a great dealer network. In the 80s and 90s there werent many HD riders, they werent de rigeur yet. By the mid to late 90s HDs became status symbols and I felt a little bit left out, for whatever reason...I guess the doctors, accountants and lawyers that were now buying baggers were hollering louder than I was to the dealers for shop time/parts counter time, etc.
As for the HD bikes, they served their purpose...many laidback thousands of miles without nary a problem...
My 05LT has been quite a change from the low-end grunt that I was used to....I had to add some things to make it a bit more comfortable like a Russell seat and Mick-o-Pegs, now the LT is every bit if not more comfy than the HD and it handles lightyears differently....it does seem to take a bit more hands on time to keep it rolling nicely, but then again I came from little to no maintenance needed on the HD....
I have a lift so the hands on time is fun, and in my mind part of the BMW ownership experience....

Enjoy your LT!

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #20 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:13 pm

In 2004, I took receipt of a new 2005 HD ElectraGlide Classic, loved the looks and after a stage 1 kit the sounds as well. Had to sell it in '07.

In '08 came a deal on a used '05 LT. I test rode and bought it. For long distance touring the LT is superior. Liquid cooled engine, heated seats and grips, on-the-fly adjustable windshield and windscreens. Not to mention the elctro-hydraulic center stand.

This bike is a Tourer that thinks it's a sport bike. Yes, it's high center of gravity makes for tedious slow speed maneuvers. The pillion benefits from an aftermarket windshield and BMW
dealerships can be far and few in between.

But at the end of the day, I take the LT and don't look back. If your finances permit, get an '05 or newer, that year significant improvements were made e.g. engine performance, frame geometry (the sport bike feel) and that wonderful centerstand.
post #21 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:30 pm

My first bike was a HD and it gave me nothing but trouble (electrical, throttle cable broke, carb problems, etc.) If it is any indicator, look at your local classified ads or do a search on ebay or craigslist and see how many HDs are for sale and compare that to the number of BMWs....those who have Motorrads tend to stick with what is great. As cfell stated below, if you keep up with the maintenance (simple can be done yourself, the more safety related things are better handled by the dealer or a qualified tech), the LT will put many miles behind you with a smile on your face. I purchased a 1999 last May and have put 8.5K behind me so far.....lovin' every minute of it.
Good luck in your search for a quality ride!
Later.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #22 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Oh yeah, I have a close friend who owns a 2002 LT. He is the one credited with talking me into buying the LT. He wound up buying a new HD Ultra Classic after we returned from Iraq and his wife complains about the ride and comfort every time she gets on it.....he's also broken down (on the HD UC) three times and had to call for a pickup/tow each time! BMW may have pricey maintenance, but the gazillion additional farkles that HD makes as aftermarket options are, in my opinion, worse than BMW which comes pretty well suited for most needs on the road. One piece of sage advice I read on this forum is to look at a bike someone is selling, it may come with farkles pre-installed.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #23 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 2:29 pm

I Owned A 1976 Electra Glide So There Is No Comparison. I Ride With A Bunch Of Harley Uc's. After A Day Riding With The Noisy, Slow Harleys I Take Off On My Own. I Have A Different Riding Style Than They Do. They Are Nice To Look At But At 29.000 I Think My 2002 Lt Is A Better Ride And Priced Right.

Al
Spokane
Wa
post #24 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 3:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Is there anyone out there that rode UltraClassics before you bought your LT? Please share your experience with me. I'm thinking about buying a 1200 LT!

Thanking you in advance,

Jim Gaines
Sugar Land, TX
The bike immediately proceeding my LT was a 2000 Ultra Classic.

Pros vs. LT:

Best seat and seating position out of the box of any bike I've owned. The electronics package is very well thought out and integrated with the best part being how much you can control via thumb switches without removing hands from bars. Easy & cheap to maintain if you do it yourself. Every town in America has someone that can fix it.

Cons vs. LT:

Less range, handles like a pig (though later FLHs are better), weather protection not as good, harder to cover large distances quickly.

FWIW - my 3 HDs were bulletproof mechanically.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #25 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 4:19 pm

I have been riding Harleys since 1965 and BMW's since 1978. Bought the first beemer because I was looking for something so ugly that no one would steal it. The only good looking BMW in '78 was the R100RS, but mine was a R100/7. I put over 100K miles on the /7 in two years before trading up to an '80 R100RS. I kept riding the Harley's, though.

I can't recall how many dresser Harley's that I've had, but the last one was a 2005. I really liked the bike and haven't tried the new Ultra to see how it feels in comparison. Most of my riding has been on BMW's. I put 230K on that old RS and another 90K on a 1991 K75S (my second K75) and finally, last Spring went out and rode a K1200LT. Liked it better than any motorcycle that I have ever ridden. I liked it so well that I traded that Harley for it. I still have the K75S and probably will keep it, but that K1200LT is so good that I have already gone through a couple sets of tires on it and have just turned 20K miles on it. Probably cured myself of that old Harley habit!

Don't get me wrong. Harley Davidson Motorcycles are so much better than they were during the AMF days, and they do seem to keep on getting better. But for me, there doesn't seem to be any comparison between the two brands with BMW coming out way on top.
post #26 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Thanks for your input Dale. What about the maintainance and shop time? I've heard some horror stories about breakdowns and routine maintainance.

Jim Gaines

Jim,

I live a long way from a dealer. Ive never been to one

With help from this site, and internet purchases, I do all my servicing and maintenance myself. Oil and fluid changes are not that hard.

I have changed brake pads, air filter, spark plugs, fuel lines, moved the trunk seat back, installed a aux cable for my IPOD, changed the windshield, installed mick-o-pegs, changed the exhaust gaskets, and installed HIDs. Oh yea, I'm a skinny, balding, insurance agent. I cant change my mind without help from my wife. I just refer to this site, ask questions, and usually someone who is smart and nice will PM me to get my feeble mind through the task.

Dale
post #27 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 11:23 pm

I owned a 2006 Ultra before I got my 2005 LT. The Ultra was the most comfortable bike I have ever been on, but was completely gutless. After many thousands of dollars I finally sold my dream turned nightmare Ultra. The LT is superior in most categories. However I found the LT seat one of the worst I have even been on and the mirrors unsafe. New seat and added mirrors and those problems are resolved. I love the LT. 400 to 600 miles in a day is no problem. I also recently bought a 2009 Dyna Lowrider for those shorter beach and bar runs. I now believe I have the perfect stable.

If you are having someone else do the service, you’ll find the LT is more expensive than a Harley. However if you do it yourself, it’s about the same. The biggest difference is the amount of work it is to get to anything on the LT.

I don’t regret the move!
post #28 of 33 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 8:18 pm

Quote:

Thanking you in advance,

Jim Gaines
Sugar Land, TX
Traded in my '06 Ultra Classic last month. It was a little tough at first, but the LT is a far superior bike from the ground up. Wanted ABS brakes, biger tank, center stand, better cornering, more comfort (heated seat and grips), more power, reverse gear, and better wind streamlining. My new 2009 was less than a new Harley. I kind of miss the rumble of the Harley pipes, but now not so much. BMW really has the total package. Really looking forward to taking it for a long ride.
post #29 of 33 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:05 am

I have had Harley's for 17 years, owned 5, last 2 were the touring models. I like to ride, I like the way my bike looks but I like feeling of riding a bike in the wind. A year ago, I
got bored with Harley, nothing really changed, the same design since the 40's and I am sure there has been some technological developments in the wind tunnel since then. I started looking for another bike to add to the stable. Bought a 08 LT, what a exciting ride!! The wife could not believe the differance between the LT and the Ultra, no comparison in ride quality. I could go on and echo much of what others have said, but as time went by I came to realize I just did not want to ride the lead sled and more, sold it...
2 months ago decided to buy RT for the solo rides. now I have 2 ... guess that sums it up about the BMW/Harley comparison....
post #30 of 33 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 6:43 pm

When I ride with friends that own Harleys they always want to swap bikes for and hour or so...I just don't seem to have the urge to say sure...and I really don't understand why they don't want to go for a ride when it is 25 degrees.
post #31 of 33 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 7:44 pm

Technology vs Bling
Earplugs vs Stereo

Once u realize the BMW is superior to the HD what are u gonna
do about all those tats and tassles?

00 LT
08 HD Softail Dlx
08 HD Nightster
08 F800S
08 GT

All excellent in their own way, but mama says only one will do
GT it is
waiting for the next LT

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #32 of 33 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 9:30 pm

So, bottom line,

You gonna wait for the "new" LT?
post #33 of 33 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Don't have a choice but to "wait" for the "next" LT
if there is one

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in