O2 Sensor Replacement - Placebo Effect (and another interesting fact)? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

O2 Sensor Replacement - Placebo Effect (and another interesting fact)?

When I had Pepe torn apart for the Clutch replacement, I went ahead and replaced the O2 Sensor as well. I had noticed that gas mileage had dropped from mid-40's to mid-30's over the past few months; even through a 12K service.

I haven't been able to run through a tank yet, to determine if the mileage has gone back up, but the bike seems to have better acceleration, and seems to run smoother. Is this just my mind playing tricks on me, or can the O2 Sensor make that big a difference?

Also, the OEM replacement part was $227.00 at a dealer. I got THE EXACT SAME PART at Napa Auto Parts for $84.95. Just ask for Napa part BSH15109. There have been some other postings here about Bosch 15738 being the same, but with that one you have to splice onto the electrical fitting. the BSH15109 (made by Bosch) has the correct plug in place.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Re: O2 Sensor Replacement - Placebo Effect (and another interesting fact)?

Wow great tip on the Napa part. I noticed my mpg is down too.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Just ask for Napa part BSH15109. There have been some other postings here about Bosch 15738 being the same, but with that one you have to splice onto the electrical fitting. the BSH15109 (made by Bosch) has the correct plug in place.
Do you know if that is true for all years? or how to find out?

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
This works on LT's manufactured up to 3/04, and is the same as BMW part #11781742051.

Lt's from 3/04 on call for BMW Part #11787671757.

I'd call a dealer and ask if they (the BMW parts) are the same; they sometimes change numbers, but the part is the same.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
+
Not being the resident expert, but they should be. most all the parts are the same. And as it appears, those Germans did not "re-invent the wheel" for every part. The part that Hallzee purchased was for several BMW cars. (Z3, x5, 3xx) you just have to find what works. What Mr. H did leave off is that the cable of the new one, is longer than the LT OEM. Not long enough to be an issue, just more cable to leave bundled up under the frame. If you have the time, go to the parts store and take a picture of the new and compare with your LT.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 1:22 am

Every winter and fall I feel the same way, must replace the sensor because of diminishing mileage numbers. Then spring time comes, weather warms up allowing rides higher and higher in elevation where I am all giggles getting 45 to 48 mpg 2 up.

Heavy cold air requires more fuel, creates more power, twist throttle harder because bike runs stronger ..... Yup my 2K sucks in the winter running sub 2000 feet getting between 34-36 mpg

JMO,
Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #7 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
When I had Pepe torn apart for the Clutch replacement, I went ahead and replaced the O2 Sensor as well. I had noticed that gas mileage had dropped from mid-40's to mid-30's over the past few months; even through a 12K service.

I haven't been able to run through a tank yet, to determine if the mileage has gone back up, but the bike seems to have better acceleration, and seems to run smoother. Is this just my mind playing tricks on me, or can the O2 Sensor make that big a difference?

Also, the OEM replacement part was $227.00 at a dealer. I got THE EXACT SAME PART at Napa Auto Parts for $84.95. Just ask for Napa part BSH15109. There have been some other postings here about Bosch 15738 being the same, but with that one you have to splice onto the electrical fitting. the BSH15109 (made by Bosch) has the correct plug in place.
I replaced the O2 sensor on my old '99 with more than 100k on it, "just because". It made absolutely NO difference.
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Every winter and fall I feel the same way, must replace the sensor because of diminishing mileage numbers. Then spring time comes, weather warms up allowing rides higher and higher in elevation where I am all giggles getting 45 to 48 mpg 2 up.

Heavy cold air requires more fuel, creates more power, twist throttle harder because bike runs stronger ..... Yup my 2K sucks in the winter running sub 2000 feet getting between 34-36 mpg

JMO,
Scott
Scott, thanks for raining on my placebo!

Actually, my mileage seemed to be worse this year during warm weather "at altitude" as well, so I'll know a little more after I can run a tank of gas through it.

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
+
Not being the resident expert, but they should be. most all the parts are the same. And as it appears, those Germans did not "re-invent the wheel" for every part. The part that Hallzee purchased was for several BMW cars. (Z3, x5, 3xx) you just have to find what works. What Mr. H did leave off is that the cable of the new one, is longer than the LT OEM. Not long enough to be an issue, just more cable to leave bundled up under the frame. If you have the time, go to the parts store and take a picture of the new and compare with your LT.
I typically do not argue with 6' 6" former Marines, and in this case, there is no difference. Hoss is correct: The exact same part comes into play for the sensor, and the connector into the bike's system. The cable is about 10" - 12" longer. Just zip tie the excess to the frame.

I removed my sensor, and took to the Napa store to compare with their picture; sensor, and connector plugs were the same; and were I betting on it, I'd wager they're the same for all years of the LT, even though BMW's part number has changed.

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 4:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Or you could get the Bosch # 13475 from Carquest,O-Reilly or others. This is an exact match. Coming back from CCR last year my mileage was 21-25. Got home and changed the O2 sensor and mileage returned to 40-42.

Dan Martin
Houston, TX
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 6:22 pm

Check this out in the files section of the forum. I found it a while back,

O2 Sensor Replacemeant Part

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 1:20 am

Winter mpg always falls. They start adding winter additives in October to prevent freezing issues with gas lines. MPG takes a beating. They stop the additives in early spring, mileage will recover.
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 9:26 am

I'm also wondering about the effect / affect of alcohol in the gas. With about 85% of the efficiency, seems that too would lower the mileage.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I'm also wondering about the effect / affect of alcohol in the gas. With about 85% of the efficiency, seems that too would lower the mileage.
It does lower your MPG. That Iowa corn gas is the worst! I hate going through Iowa on my way out west. I get at least 10% lower MPG. Texas has some good gas with 0% crap in it.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in