Map Light removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Map Light removal

I need to remove the back side of the dashboard in order to change the side windshield deflector. With the help of Sean, I was able to locate all the screws except the one behind the Map Light above the dash. Does anyone know how to take this off? Should I just pry it off?
Thanks.
2004 K1200LT (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 3:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Map Light removal

Turn off ignition switch.
Insert small screwdriver through the notch on the left side of the cockpit light and carefully pry the lens assembly out of the dash.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 3:07 pm

You need to gain access behind the map light. Pry the lens off with a thin screwdriver - the latch is on the side.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 3:09 pm

Wink Re: Map Light removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlReich23
I need to remove the back side of the dashboard in order to change the side windshield deflector. With the help of Sean, I was able to locate all the screws except the one behind the Map Light above the dash. Does anyone know how to take this off? Should I just pry it off?
Thanks.
2004 K1200LT (Black)
To remove the Map Light you just need a small (tweaker) straight slot screwdriver to poke into the small opening to the left of the bulb and depress the tab which holds it into the dash. Lift it out carefully, then remove it entirely, and unplug the wires. You will then be able to see the elusive screw that resides up and slightly to the left (as you are sitting on the Bike) which must be removed in order to remove the instrument cover.

HTH,

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #5 of 6 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Thanks...
John / Jerry / Robert
I would have surely broken this little but expensive piece had it not been for your responses.
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:09 pm

This may help. Here's a close up photo of the map light (this is the one in the trunk, but it's the same as the one in the front).

You can see the plastic piece that holds it in on the left. This is what you're trying to push in with the small screw driver.

BTW: The map lightt in the trunk is much harder to remove--you have to drill a hole first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map Light.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	25997  

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in