Newest member of the Drop Club - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 6:26 pm Thread Starter
jsb

Red face Newest member of the Drop Club

I joined the august body of K1200LT riders who have dropped their bikes today.

Was just returning from a ride with my wife, pulled into the alley behind the house, let her off, and prepared to ride up the (soggy) strip of lawn to get around the cars in the driveway and into the garage.

Drop #1: Before getting on the soggy lawn, started in second as I was turning, bike stalled, down I went. Used Proper Technique to get bike back up. Started up soggy strip of lawn, and lost traction, now I was fishtailing, don't know how I stayed up, but stopped briefly, then gunned bike, and...

Drop #2: Popped up on to the driveway, I let off gas, bike lurched, and down I went. Used Proper Technique once again (practice makes perfect).

Aftermath: Muddy back tire, scratches on the wings (where you expect), and scratches on chrome side trim on the saddlebags. Pride suffered moderate injuries.

I'm glad I've got such good company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Re: Newest member of the Drop Club

Jerry, please don't feel like you're alone. It's happened to the best of us. I'm glad that you're OK and I certainly have to hand it to you for being able to pick the bike up twice. That's no easy accomplishment and something I've never done. The best I've been able to manage is getting the bike on the center stand.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jim

2002 K1200LTC, Titan Silver
2006 R1200GS, Yellow
post #3 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 6:45 pm Thread Starter
jsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomanjim
Jerry, please don't feel like you're alone.
With all the posts about dropping K1200LTs on this forum, I definitely don't feel alone.

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Don't feel bad as it is so easy to do and it happens when you least expect it. My one and only drop was in a parking lot.....backing in when my foot slid out and the handlebar turned one way and down she went. I tried to let it down very slowly, but you don't let down 800 lb slowly. A passerby helped me put it up on the sidestand and then I drove into another parking stall.
I purchased some chrome wheel well moulding and cut strips to cover the bottom of the side bag chrome and it will protect the side bags and also on the tip over wings. It cost $20.00 for a 20 ft. roll so it is cheap insurance and looks good also.
It is available at most auto supply stores.
Cheers
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 1:45 am

I dropped the bike few moths ago, at a parking lot too. I´m a little bit scared of these parking lots and is trying to see how to drive in to avoid reversing, trying to make starting after so easy as possible. And she is HEAVY, you know...

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Those are all learning experiences. I keep a running tally in my signature below. What it doesn't state is 0 drops for 2009. Looking forward to what 2010 brings.

Ride safe, have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Welcome to the club. In 25 years of riding I had never dropped a bike until 2 years ago when I got the fat German lady bike. I dropped it twice on the same day.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 6:55 pm

I firmly believe that when you get a new bike (especially an LT) just stand next to the bike and push it over one way....stand it up and push it over the other way. You'll ride MUCH MORE relaxed!

I've owned my bike for 16 months now and I dropped it once the first day and once the second day. After that, for some reason, it's been "drop free". Go figure!
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:02 pm Thread Starter
jsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
I firmly believe that when you get a new bike (especially an LT) just stand next to the bike and push it over one way....stand it up and push it over the other way. You'll ride MUCH MORE relaxed!
Well, I managed to get it on both sides yesterday, so maybe I'm good to go now.

What I didn't mention was that I was teaching a missionary friend who is about to go to Sudan a little bit about how to ride a motorcycle on Saturday, and he dropped my K75 twice.

Other than a few scratches and a bent rear brake pedal, nothing major on either, but it was a tough weekend on my bikes.
post #10 of 13 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:37 am

I found that when there is mud, I just gun it to sink the tire on in... then I can put her in nuetral, get off (without putting the stand down)... Then I can have time to think... THink MIke, think

WHat now? Oh.. Yeh (yells out) Babe!
Help me!!!

SHe comes out and gives me a little push, i get out, she gets muddy we all have a little laff

yeh the lil droppsie club has its perks..I guess...Ive done it

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Glad to hear you're in the club! The best part of the whole situation and where you used your perfect 20/20 foresight is when you let the boss get off BEFORE you let your scooter settle to the ground! Good planning!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 11:26 pm Thread Starter
jsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Glad to hear you're in the club! The best part of the whole situation and where you used your perfect 20/20 foresight is when you let the boss get off BEFORE you let your scooter settle to the ground! Good planning!
Yep, she still loves me.
post #13 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 8:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

I think these LTs are less forgiving than most cycles. Certainly it's the first bike I've had that once she starts over, all you can do is eject safely. Beautiful, complicated, unforgiving, top-heavy, and worth every minute of it! Welcome to the drop club.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in