Yesterday's "Clutch Party" was a huge success! Not only is the clutch in, but we had a great day with friends. A big thanks to all who came over, and especially Hoss (shoswell), and Mark (Uncle Mark).
In addition to the repair, it was a general social gathering, with friends and wives along for the ride. Bob (BeemerBob), and Larry (RTST) were lending their hands as well.
We got started at about 10:30 am, and finished up at about 7:00. This included the biggest challenge, and that wasted about 2 hours: trying to get the Clutch Housing back onto the engine output spline. It wouldn’t go on, and we were paranoid about hitting it hard with the rubber mallet; we were tapping (and cussing). It slid right off, so the thinking was, it should slide right back on, right?
You could feel the teeth lined up, but it wouldn’t go on. Another non-riding friend happened to stop by, and as luck would have it, he is a mechanic. He told us to give it a good solid blow – we wouldn’t hurt it. So, I did (not a “gorilla thump”, but much harder than we were), and it went right on. So, if you ever want to replace your clutch, when putting the housing back on, just incrementally increase your “mallet taps” until it goes on – you won’t hurt the splines, as long as they are aligned.
I actually started tearing the Beast apart a few days in advance. In order to do the clutch, pretty much everything has to come off. While disassembling, I detailed every part (my wife thinks I’m crazy, but now every square inch (err., I mean centimeter) of the bike is as clean as the day she was born, inside and out.
Additional Edit: Pictures didn't post in order by file name for some reason, but you can figure it out!
I have posted a few pictures. First one is the bike stripped down, in prep for everyone’s help.
Second picture is the bike held up at the rear end with scissor jack, and blocks of wood under frame at rear. This is done so you can remove center stand and tranny.
Third picture is after tranny is removed. Note the baking pan that was needed to catch engine out within the clutch housing area. The rear main seal was gone. Luckily, I wasn’t far from home with it went, because there was engine oil everywhere (of course), but in great quantities. Note: we did make a small knick (with a three sided file) at the rear of this housing to provide a weep hole, should the rear main fail again (may not save the clutch, but will raise the red flags a lot earlier).
Fourth Picture is Hoss replacing the clutch slave. The old one was OK, but we replaced, since we had her torn apart. Beemer Boneyard has OEM slaves for a great price. Note how clean the valve cover is
(hey, I wasn’t lying when I said I detailed everything!).
Picture five shows the new rear main seal in place. This area was thoroughly cleaned with brake cleaner. We were careful to NOT get any cleaner on or around the rear main seal itself, so as to not damage the seal (or worse, get some into the engine).
Getting the tranny back on with two guys is a piece of cake. One guy on each side to help line everything up. Picture six shows the bike as re-assembly has been moving along. Tranny, cross-brace, swing arm, drive shaft, final drive, and air box all back into place.
Picture seven shows Uncle Mark laughing at another… ehemm.. “wise crack” from Hoss.
Picture eight: off the ramp, and preparing to bleed the clutch.
Picture 9: Fired up, for a short test drive with Tupperware off.
Picture 10: back on the lift to dress her up.