LT stuck in snow - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Talking LT stuck in snow

Some folks may have thought I was joking about tire chains....

This AM decided to move the LT from the lift in the shop to her winter resting place in the barn. The yard is hard packed snow and ice. I got stuck trying to get into the barn so out came the tire chains
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	25937   Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck1.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	25938   Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck2.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	25939   Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck3.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	25940   Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck4.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	25941  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 3:48 pm

Re: LT stuck in snow

I've had that happen to me on more than one occasion.............You'd just swear there was no way you could get stuck in that little amount of snow, but on the other hand.........mine is still on the tender sitting in the barn too..........................B-Safe
post #3 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 3:52 pm

How do they clear the swingarm?? You are joking, right?

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #4 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 5:52 pm

It looks like he's using the chains laid out on the snow for traction, not wrapped around the tires.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Kind of reminds me of the days I used to wrap bailer twine around the wheels of my 1965, 80cc Suzuki to go out and play in the snow. Of course that was a whole lot lighter to move around when I got stuck. I used to take the baffles out of the muffler and go roaring through the snow....great fun......later I got a snowmobile.

post #6 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 8:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I am speechless. Curtis is THE MAN !!!!!!!

post #7 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT

This AM decided to move the LT from the lift in the shop to her winter resting place in the barn. The yard is hard packed snow and ice. I got stuck trying to get into the barn so out came the tire chains
Nah, you don't need no steenking tire chains. What you need is a SKI on the front!

or maybe BOTH!

Tucson forecast for tomorrow:

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming west northwest between 4 and 7 mph.

C'mon down damnit!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Kitty Litter.. (fresh kind)
post #9 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 11:44 pm

This why I don't ride in Montana. My Lt's perfectly happy sitting on the battery tender.
http://forecast.weather.gov//MapClic...y=130&site=hfo

Take care,

B
post #10 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 12:14 am

We had a heat wave today in the Cleveland area got up above freezing and I got to ride a bit.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #11 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Yeah, the chain is just laid on the ground for added traction. Rock salt, sand, kitty litter, ashes from the wood stove would all have sufficed. The chain was handy.

Just posting to entertain myself and maybe a few others with my nonsense.

I love how all the guys in the sunbelt report their weather; like: "It's 70 degrees here today"
Well, okay... but what's the wind chill factor?

We lived in SC for six years, summers could be brutal but we are a little envious of you folks who ride year round.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7581.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	25948  
post #12 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 7:21 am

Damn. You people live in that, never mind ride in it?

I will take the sun and the violence here any day to that snow. Better sun burn and potential gun shot wounds than freezing to death and constant shoveling.
post #13 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Quote:
... I love how all the guys in the sunbelt report their weather; like: "It's 70 degrees here today" ...
Yes - those posts should be banned. They are constantly reminding us of how nice they have it. Don't make me come over there, Ron!

We've had a heat wave recently - lower 40s the last 2 days. The roads are clear but my driveway will be covered in snow and ice until it's warmer than that for more days than that.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #14 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Yes - those posts should be banned. They are constantly reminding us of how nice they have it. Don't make me come over there, Ron!

We've had a heat wave recently - lower 40s the last 2 days. The roads are clear but my driveway will be covered in snow and ice until it's warmer than that for more days than that.
They may have it nice now, but come July, we can rub it in how nice we have it.

I've lived in the heat, and learned that I hate the heat more than I hate the cold!

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #15 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 8:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVanDerMerwe
Damn. You people live in that, never mind ride in it?

I will take the sun and the violence here any day to that snow. Better sun burn and potential gun shot wounds than freezing to death and constant shoveling.
Well, to each his own to be sure. I have lived in the cold all my life and much prefer it to the heat. I can put more clothes on, but I can only take so many off! Yes, it would be nice to be able to ride year round, but I find riding above about 90 degrees to be rather uncomfortable and not all that enjoyable. And the heat isn't even the bad part, it is the humidity.

I am not familiar intimately with South Africa and it may be drier there as in our southwest in the USA, which I find not so bad. However, I find out southeast to be downright oppressive for about 4-5 months of the year. And if I had to deal with violence in addition to the heat, I would take our winters any day! One nice thing about the cold is that, as we say "it keeps the riffraff out!"

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #16 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Yes sir Charlie, pretty inventive if you ask me....
The only problem I have had here is parking the big girl in the backyard.... SHe will bury her butt to the rim in the mud!
ANd I dont have Mud tires either... girl friend has gotten mud all over her a few times, ok ok maybe four or five times....lol
and when she does get that deep, I can get off and just leave her, she wont tip over, kinda mud chock if ya ask me..

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #17 of 29 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 1:29 am

I was so jealous to one of you who told that "he got a new cd at 25th december and he took it, the BMW-keys and took a ride with his LT"

A lot of people asks me why do I ride a bike, and not a snowscooter up here, the summer is so short?! But what can I do with a snowscooter, ride around the town? With my bike can I drive 500miles per day, thats impossible with a Lynx

And summer is pretty nice up here, midsummer sun, and not too much humidity, perfect for riding!

Have a nice day!

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
post #18 of 29 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 7:11 am

Yep, in FL you can ride year round. 100 miles, turn, 100 miles, turn, repeat; not as great as it sounds. I ride some in FL but not those LD rides that make it great. A LD day for me is getting to the FL border as fast as possible, finding out where the good weather is for a few days, and riding to the north mountains or the west mountains for great riding and camping.
Maybe this will be my year to move out of FL, but still to a place that I can ride year round.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #19 of 29 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

Tucson weather sucks, I won't be able to ride for at least 7 days or I'll have to break out the rain gear. Then I'll actually have to wash the bike. DAMN.

j/k ... - I have not seen a forecast like this for oh - maybe ten years - seriously. It is freakin' AWESOME!

We are in the middle of a serious, prolonged drought, and this will be a HUGE help for our desert critters and plants.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RAIN!.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	25976  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #20 of 29 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 2:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Charlie: Evert time I get to thinking about leaving the Peoples Republic of California and the politically corrupt state guys like you remind me of why I still live here - geography, weather and year ride riding. Thanks!!

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #21 of 29 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 2:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free
They may have it nice now, but come July, we can rub it in how nice we have it.

I've lived in the heat, and learned that I hate the heat more than I hate the cold!
+1 X 10,000!!!! I would honestly prefer 20* F than 100* F ANY day. I have lived in Phoenix AZ, (6 years) and Las Vegas NV and I would consider my life completely fulfilled if I never have to go back.

I have also visited the eastern seaboard in August (and all the states in between) and the state I enjoyed the most was Maine. Boston, MA 97* and high humidity. Portland, ME? The humidity was high here too. When we stepped out of the motorhome at 9:00 p.m. it was raining and 60*.

I love Maine!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #22 of 29 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 4:01 pm

I got stuck in the snow once, it's a real beetch to get out, tire chains would be helpful!

02 LT
post #23 of 29 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 8:11 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:

Looking at your pictures I observed a couple of things. It looks like the LT is getting parked against the wall where one of your other Bemmers was when I was there. I also thought I recognized some of the same dirt that was on your LT the last time I saw it.

One of the mods I want to do to my LT this year is to put a cockpit adjustable front brake proportion valve on so I can turn the front brakes off. I also intend to install a switch to turn off the ABS system. I am getting comfortable enough with the bike now that I'll ride on some slick roads when I get caught in bad weather.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #24 of 29 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 8:41 pm

When you have snow on the ground 5 months of the year, you get resourceful. Chains laid out on the ground, sand, salt, a long strip of carpet or putting dark plastic on the ground in the sun so it melts the ice underneath are all tricks of the trade you use up here. I am jealous of you guys who can ride all year round. The best I can do is leave my GSA in storage in Vegas and then come down south three or four times during the winter to get away from the cold and ride.
post #25 of 29 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Looking at your pictures I observed a couple of things. It looks like the LT is getting parked against the wall where one of your other Bemmers was when I was there. I also thought I recognized some of the same dirt that was on your LT the last time I saw it.

One of the mods I want to do to my LT this year is to put a cockpit adjustable front brake proportion valve on so I can turn the front brakes off. I also intend to install a switch to turn off the ABS system. I am getting comfortable enough with the bike now that I'll ride on some slick roads when I get caught in bad weather.
Hiya Dave!
No, not the same dirt... I renew my dirt every rain storm and every dirt road.

Does your bike have linked brakes? If so, I can understand your interest in defeating that system.
But defeating the ABS?
You think you can do better that the ABS in some situations?
I used to think that I could too, but I changed my mind. I'll go with ABS 100% of the time.
Curious, when would you turn it off?
I used to think there were times when "in extremis", that laying the bike down would be a good idea. Now I am not so sure. I think I'll ride the ABS to impact rather than an intentional lowside.
I'm really interested in your opinion on when you'd turn off the ABS.

Warm regards from the Deep South of Vermont.
post #26 of 29 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 6:43 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Hiya Dave!
No, not the same dirt... I renew my dirt every rain storm and every dirt road.

Does your bike have linked brakes? If so, I can understand your interest in defeating that system.
But defeating the ABS?
You think you can do better that the ABS in some situations?
I used to think that I could too, but I changed my mind. I'll go with ABS 100% of the time.
Curious, when would you turn it off?
I used to think there were times when "in extremis", that laying the bike down would be a good idea. Now I am not so sure. I think I'll ride the ABS to impact rather than an intentional lowside.
I'm really interested in your opinion on when you'd turn off the ABS.

Warm regards from the Deep South of Vermont.
My brakes are linked. By turning off the front brakes with a valve my hand brake would still work the rear brake. My thinking on turning off the ABS would be on a steep downhill slick grade I could have both feet on the ground right hand operating the rear brake. With the ABS active I would more than likely have no brakes at all. I would probably get the dreaded constant pulses on the brake lever. ABS works great in panic stops but I think sometimes on controlled slow downs I can do better.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #27 of 29 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:16 pm

What's snow?

Heck, down here in TX if we had that much white stuff on the ground, there'd be kids on anything slick going down hills, snow(mud)men everywhere, and snow angels decorating the lawns along the street! Come to think of it, I do believe it did snow once last year down here in TX....it lasted until almost mid-day.....then it was riding weather once again!

I do want to thank the states to the west, and RonKMiller, for pushing the great weather our way and holding on to the rain for the past week.....the riding has been great! Today was a little brisk though....a high of 74 and not a cloud in the sky....I almost had to wear a long sleeve t-shirt under my mesh jacket!! I was going to post a picture of the sky....but it was all blue....kind of boring!!!

It is sad our northern brothers have to put their bears in their caves for the winter! I hope their slumber goes well!

Ride Safe!
Later

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #28 of 29 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 1:54 pm

It is sad our northern brothers have to put their bears in their caves for the winter! I hope their slumber goes well!

Ride Safe!
Later[/QUOTE]

Not all bears hibernate. There are a few polar bears lurking north of the Manson-Nixon line and if the roads are free of ice and snow, we're out there.

To CharlieVT - the dirt on your LT might be replaced annually, but it appears there are fewer wires/cables coming out the the stingray compartment. Have you trimmed down a bit?

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #29 of 29 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus

Ride Safe!
Later
Not all bears hibernate. There are a few polar bears lurking north of the Manson-Nixon line and if the roads are free of ice and snow, we're out there.

To CharlieVT - the dirt on your LT might be replaced annually, but it appears there are fewer wires/cables coming out the the stingray compartment. Have you trimmed down a bit?[/QUOTE]

Form follows function! Yeah, I do have rats nest of wiring.
You've a good eye, I removed the Sat radio from the tank bag. That changed a couple of things including the wire that ran from the radio to the cassette adaptor in the oddments box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in