What the #(S&.............................................. ........ - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage
What the #(S&.............................................. ........

Need a little help from the collective. I have another members bike ('99-'00 LT) while he is off gallivanting around Mexico. I have it to do a little bit here and there.

When he dropped it off (figuratively speaking) he made a comment about a weird vibration. I took it out on a short hop today and noticed said vibration. Took it on a longer stretch and noticed a sever vibration at 4500 RPM. 1st- 4th, but not in fifth. I have no history with the bike, but do know that service is typically done at the stealer, and the tires are done by yet another member (Uncle Mark) somewhat recently IIRC.

Any ideas? I haven’t looked too hard at the bike as it was just noticed…

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 6:38 pm
Super Moderator

Re: What the #(S&.............................................. ........

This may be coming out of left field but I replaced my O2 sensor on a 2002 seeking better mileage.

Gas mileage did not improve all that much but I did find that the bikes notorious 4500 RPM vibration was significantly diminshed - not sure I have an explanation as to why!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 7:24 pm

They have a vibration at 4500 for sure. Check to be sure all the exhaust nuts are in place and tight.. You might remove the spring on the underside of the exhaust... That is said to help and the spring is really not necessary..

A more serious vibration might be the bike calling for a proper tuneup including balancing of the throttle bodies..
Also check the tupperware where the lower and upper sections join at the front.
a little adhesive weatherstripping at the critical spot will cure that vibration.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Sorry, I wasn't as detailed as I thought I was. The vibration seems to be in the drive line or clutch assembly. If I did not know better, I'd think that the clutch plate was loose. No slipping clutch that I could replicate. The "normal" vibration I believe you are speaking about is the K-whine we all love so dearly. This is almost a rattle with out the sound. If it were my bike, it would be in pieces this weekend. Just not sure if anyone else had come across this issue in the past. Just checked the exhaust, body panels and FD, all appear to be normal, no play...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Has the drive shaft ever been removed? May be a shot in the dark, perhaps it was mis-aligned when re-installed?

If it turns out to be the 02 sensor, I have a used one I can sell Ed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shafted.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	25933  

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Has the drive shaft ever been removed? May be a shot in the dark, perhaps it was mis-aligned when re-installed?

If it turns out to be the 02 sensor, I have a used one I can sell Ed!
Ya, nice to have friends that look out for you....I saved you what, about $150 by sending you to the part store vs. the stealer for that thing, add that savings to the total you saved when I sent you to Denise (Bentonville BMW)...Dam good friend now ain't I?
Moving on...
I may be plain stupid, but how is an O2 sensor going to cause a vibration at a set RPM? As for the drive line...I don;t put much stock in that theory (but do it anyway). Never have "aligned" a shaft in a 4x4 before, anyway. You know Ed as I do. Can;t remember him ever having the FD worked on, and I know he would not attempt in on his own., And he just last week noticed something amiss. I would't think that the FD gremlins work that slow...

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Back on task. Anyone have this type of issue before?

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:23 pm

I agree - an out of phase drive shaft is the first thing - besides tire tread separation and missing tire weights - I would look for.

Those sticky little boogers have a real knack for flinging off - especially as the glue desiccates over time...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ditto on the drive shaft, could be u-joints going south. Easy enough to pull the rear drive and check it out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 13 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Ditto on the drive shaft, could be u-joints going south. Easy enough to pull the rear drive and check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I agree - an out of phase drive shaft is the first thing - besides tire tread separation and missing tire weights - I would look for.
Those sticky little boogers have a real knack for flinging off - especially as the glue desiccates over time...
Thanks both of you. John, I should have you on speed dial at this point!!! Ron, hope to see you in May, I'm easy to spot. 6'5 sarcastic ass in the corner...!...Thanks for the *&^%%$*, I'll buy the first round! Did you say Jameson?

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 7th, 2010, 10:35 pm

What did it turn out to be? Have you checked the drive line yet and if so how did it Look? I still have a bad vibration after changing both tires and balancing them both myself. Had the front wheel straitened, found a dent of about .040". Handlebar Vibs are now gone. Get up to around 75mph. and the vibration gets severe and is felt through the foot pegs. Thinking back the foot peg vib has been there shortly after changing the rear drive. The vibration came on in increments and I didn't put two and two together. I know it was not assembled out of phase when I put it together due to marking the splines before reassembly.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Unfortunately its not my scooter.. The owner (lucky bastard) had taken an RV trip down to Mexico and is still not back. Digging that far (actually not) into the beast is something that HE must be o.k. with. All I know, I would not own it as it sits. Like stated above I am thinking its the universal joint. If you can (have the tool) take the FD off, I'd start there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman
What did it turn out to be? Have you checked the drive line yet and if so how did it Look? I still have a bad vibration after changing both tires and balancing them both myself. Had the front wheel straitened, found a dent of about .040". Handlebar Vibs are now gone. Get up to around 75mph. and the vibration gets severe and is felt through the foot pegs. Thinking back the foot peg vib has been there shortly after changing the rear drive. The vibration came on in increments and I didn't put two and two together. I know it was not assembled out of phase when I put it together due to marking the splines before reassembly.

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 7:06 pm

The fact that the vibration isn't there in fifth gear seems to point to an internal transmission problem.

Ron
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Having been inside the GB and felt the inner workings of the woman, I doubt it will be traced back to the GB. It's pretty stout and almost bullit proof. There have been no shavings noted during oil changes. Baring a seal (that would leak) having been waller'd out allowing a shaft to spin incorrectly. If this were the case it would be more pronounced and in each gear, regardless of the RPM....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beets
The fact that the vibration isn't there in fifth gear seems to point to an internal transmission problem.

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in