She's ready for "Hoss, Phd" - The Clutch Doctor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up She's ready for "Hoss, Phd" - The Clutch Doctor

A special shout out to Hoss, of our site here. He's chief surgeon at this Saturday's "Clutch/Rear Main Seal Party" at Casa de Hallzee. On second thought... Maybe I should save that "shout out" until the new clutch is in...

In advance, Steve has given tons of helpful advice - parts sources (Denise at Bentonville BMW (AR) will hook you up as well - and she wants me to say hello to Dick, she's an ex-Texas gal!), general advice on what to look out for when tearing her apart - PLUS Hoss is bringing over some special tools.

You really can't buy such good friends - but every once in a while, you can trick 'em into helping you!

While we're at it, going to replace the slave cylinder (clutch failure was caused by bad rear main seal, I believe, but going to replace slave since I have her opened up). Also gas mileage had fallen recently from mid 40's to mid 30's so new oxygen sensor as well.

Got her all stripped down, and ready to go. More pictures from Saturday's comedy routine to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120003.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	25929   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120005.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	25930  

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 9:02 am

Re: She's ready for "Hoss, Phd" - The Clutch Doctor

Hey, hey Brian - you be in for some fun times Saturday. Once it's all over, you'll give a louder shout-out to Hoss!! And to Denise (my fav parts gal)! And to that lift maker! And to BMW, for giving you the opportunity to 'dig in' and find out what ticks (ok, maybe not-so-much ).

Good luck on the put-back, Brian. I got ole Toad 'bout ready for "on the road, again" (3rd FD went south, and major shout-out thanks to Curtis up in VT for that fix!!), 'cept you got us beat in the weather category. We're fixin' to drown some cedar breaks and overflow some high-water crossings this week. Take care, and be sure to let us know the progress and outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
A special shout out to Hoss, of our site here. He's chief surgeon at this Saturday's "Clutch/Rear Main Seal Party" at Casa de Hallzee. On second thought... Maybe I should save that "shout out" until the new clutch is in...

In advance, Steve has given tons of helpful advice - parts sources (Denise at Bentonville BMW (AR) will hook you up as well - and she wants me to say hello to Dick, she's an ex-Texas gal!), general advice on what to look out for when tearing her apart - PLUS Hoss is bringing over some special tools.

You really can't buy such good friends - but every once in a while, you can trick 'em into helping you!

While we're at it, going to replace the slave cylinder (clutch failure was caused by bad rear main seal, I believe, but going to replace slave since I have her opened up). Also gas mileage had fallen recently from mid 40's to mid 30's so new oxygen sensor as well.

Got her all stripped down, and ready to go. More pictures from Saturday's comedy routine to follow.
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, hey Brian - you be in for some fun times Saturday. Once it's all over, you'll give a louder shout-out to Hoss!! And to Denise (my fav parts gal)! And to that lift maker! And to BMW, for giving you the opportunity to 'dig in' and find out what ticks (ok, maybe not-so-much ).

Good luck on the put-back, Brian. I got ole Toad 'bout ready for "on the road, again" (3rd FD went south, and major shout-out thanks to Curtis up in VT for that fix!!), 'cept you got us beat in the weather category. We're fixin' to drown some cedar breaks and overflow some high-water crossings this week. Take care, and be sure to let us know the progress and outcome.
Denise is great (and as a bonus, I saved quite a bit of money over some of the "major" dealers). I guess I should have given a shout out to Bentonville BMW as well - they are just plain nice people there, and very helpful.

After she took my order information, Denise and I were chatting, and she asked how I heard of them. I told them a friend referred me, and we also spoke about some of the sites I visit, which are related to BMW bikes.

She asked if I was a member of this site, and when I told her yes, she asked if I know Dick. I replied with a question, "You mean the guy that spells 'was' as 'wuz"? She laughed and said, "That's the guy". Once you were ID'd she told me that she knew you from her time at a dealership in Austin, and had some other nice things to say about you - but I know you're shy, and will keep them to myself! LOL. I told her that I have never met you personally, but had read many of your helpful posts.

Who knows, maybe one day we'll cross paths. I get to southern TX once every couple of years.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 6:24 am

Love the lift ! How much would one of those set me back?

Wish i were closer so I could attend. I'm clear over on the "right" coast.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 8:59 am Thread Starter

It's a Harbor Freight 1200 lb. lift with the wings. It was about $750.00 I believe. You can get it without the wings, of course. They are a $175.00 option.

Makes life real easy. I use it for all maintenance.

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Garage

From one Brian to another. I have done a few of those myself and in fact, that is how I met Dick. He hooked me up with Edgar, who had an LT he was parting out and I needed a gearbox. 4th gear gone. Great support group.
I am interested to see how you hang her. I used an engine hoist, but removed the top case so as not to damage it.

Good luck!

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw
From one Brian to another. I have done a few of those myself and in fact, that is how I met Dick. He hooked me up with Edgar, who had an LT he was parting out and I needed a gearbox. 4th gear gone. Great support group.
I am interested to see how you hang her. I used an engine hoist, but removed the top case so as not to damage it.

Good luck!
From one Brian to another, I'm sure you already know this, but Brian (loosely translated) means "Strength, Intelligence, and Wit"!

I am going to use a scissor jack (thanks webcrum) underneath, to hold up the back end. The jack, with wooden blocks, will go up under the frame, just in front of the side bags. I had to remove the small aluminum heat shield that protects the coolant reservoir to get to the frame on the left side.

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Quote:
From one Brian to another, I'm sure you already know this, but Brian (loosely translated) means "Strength, Intelligence, and Wit"!

Oh brother...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #9 of 10 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 3:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
Oh brother...
Man.... Now I know how Conan feels...

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Man.... Now I know how Conan feels...

Around you, I can always laugh... Let's get yer machine up and running...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in