Newbie with question concering K1200LT. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Newbie with question concering K1200LT.

Hello from Canada everybody!

I was searching for a good BMW motorcycle forum and this looks like a really good one with lots of traffic and good info.

This is a really weird and depressing first post to be sure but here it goes.....

My poor father-in-law went and bought a 2008 K1200LT two years ago, he didn't put much mileage at all on it, unfortunately right after he bought it his health went downhill.

We just got word that he's terminally ill and he's left everything that he has to my wife and her brother. We all ride motorcycles BTW and there won't be any fighting over his stuff, it'll all be shared fairly. He said that whoever wants his bike can have it. So, if my wife and I decide to take it, we would just pay my brother-in-law whatever is a fair price or vice versa.

Problem is, that I'm not sure how much it's worth. The list price here in Canada is somewhere around $24,000-$25,000 for a new one, I've seen some K1200LTs that were a little bit older go for around $15,000-$16,000 or so but this one is almost new.

I would guess that $20,000 Canadian ($19,400 USD) might be about right? Any more then that, I'd have to give it some more thought as to whether we really want it that badly or not. My brother-in-law is smaller then me and he's said in the past that the K1200LT was a bit big, he's more into smaller sportier bikes so I'm not sure if he'll really show that much interest in this big old touring bike but if he wants it more then us, he's welcomed to take it.

I suppose, that we could trade the K1200LT in at our local BMW dealership for something else, something smaller for my wife's own personal bike like a R1200R or something, but I just know that we'd get seriously screwed over in the trading process.

I tried doing a search for used 2008 K1200LTs but only came up with this one but it's in the USA, not Canada:
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-...0lt-abs/253042

Now $12,700 USD, seems like a ridiculously low price (we don't usually get deals like that in Canada), I'm guessing that $20.000 +/- would be about right.

If you don't mind chiming in, what do you people feel that it's worth? Thanks!

Last edited by Humbucker; Jan 13th, 2010 at 8:13 pm. Reason: poor spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Re: Newbie with question concering K1200LT.

First of all, sorry to hear about your dad.
On the value of the bike I would venture to say that a realistic price is somewhere between the too high $19,400 and the too low $12,700, $15-16k (US) seems more appropriate.
The LT does not retain a high resale value compared to other bikes, but high miles won't hurt it either. You also need to consider the time of year (Winter being bad for bike sales)
See what an 08 will go for on eBay.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Book value in the US ranges between 16K and 17k depending on location. Due to the depressed economy they are going for a bit less.
That of course is in US dollars, you can make the conversion.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 26 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Sorry to hear about your father in law. You've gotten some good advice on valuation - I bought mine (years ago, when it was 4 years old) with only 9,000 miles on the clock, for only $11k (US$).

As far as this site, you will NEVER find a better deal, assuming you become a member. I do all my own work on the bike, primarily with advice that I have gleaned here. That will save you a pile of money, as compared to the dealer.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 26 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Newbie with question concering K1200LT.

Thanks zippy_gg,

Actually it's my wife's dad, but that you very much for that!

I never thought of eBay, I'll check that out. The Canadian dollar is almost at par with the US greenback right now but we still seem to get dinged quite a bit more for bikes up here, must be our gov't raping us again.

Okay, so $16,000 sounds pretty reasonable to me. They'd give us less then that on a trade-in, so we might as well keep the bike in the family.

I'm fairly new to motorcycling and presently have a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic, it's been a fine bike and was okay for a 3-day trip that we took last summer but I know that the BMW would be way better for that type of application. I'll admit that I got caught-up with the Harley bug and thought for a while that I wanted one but I'm over that now and wouldn't be in the market for another cruiser for my next bike anyways.

Before all this business with my father-in-law started, I thought that maybe the R1200RT would be the bike for us but after doing some research, it looks like something bigger like the K1200LT or a Gold Wing would be the better choice. And now oddly enough, it looks like there's this one up for grabs. Funny how these bikes don't retain their value any better then that.

And thank you too amarider!

"Book value in the US ranges between 16K and 17k depending on location'

So it looks like $17,000-$18,000 Canadian would be pretty much in the ballpark.

Thanks a lot guys, I regret starting off on this forum with a downer of a topic but this will help us out later on.
post #6 of 26 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Hey, thanks hallzee!

Yeah, this site looks great, I'll definately do some lurking here!

And yes, you did get a good price on your bike, that's a lot of bike for what you payed.

Have any of you had any major problems with your K1200LT? Are these things pretty reliable from your experiences?

I had taken my father-in-law's bike out for a little spin around the neighbourhood last summer and it was sooooo different from my cruiser, it really threw me for a loop at first but I started to get used to it. I felt that it was a bit tall and noticeably top-heavy compared to my Vulcan 1600 Classic.

And the brakes on the K1200LT really scared me, wow! Do those suckers ever grab!

I know that BMW is high-end stuff and the mechanical repairs might be more then what you'd find in Japanese bikes but hopefully it won't put me in the poorhouse if we end up with it.
post #7 of 26 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 10:24 pm

You are going to LOVE the bike - especially if you like 2-up riding. I have always been an amateur wrencher, but at first this bike intimidated me a bit. I was scared of screwing something up!

You can learn all you need to know right here - with help from friends you don't even know yet.

Look around the site, you'll read about some problems with the final drive, and other things (my clutch just went out) - but then again, I ride fast in twisty mountain roads! At 42K having the clutch being my only breakage, I can't complain.

The engine is absolutely bullet proof. Just ride it, and what happens, happens!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 26 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:46 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker
Have any of you had any major problems with your K1200LT? Are these things pretty reliable from your experiences?
Just like anything mechanical, it will eventually breakdown. Search the post and you will find your fair share of issues, up to and including total removal of the bike from the owner! But, that is not the norm from my side of the fence. Each LT I have come to know has had issues, both minor and major depending on how you want to look at it. Myself, I got a used bike with numerous add-ons. 10 years later I know she has had one engine (not sure why) and at least one clutch and a new gearbox. While consideration was given when I underwent the process to RR the Gearbox and clutch to purchase another. The cost of a new(er) one was not even closeto the cost of the repair. Just take heart in she will break down, but she will give you the best she has when she is on the road...

Quote:
I felt that it was a bit tall and noticeably top-heavy compared to my Vulcan 1600 Classic.
When I got into the LT, someone made the reference to the difference between a GW and the LT. A GW you get into and the LT has to be mounted (get on) She is a heavy pig, when stopped. But ask how many GW's I've passed in a curve....

Quote:
hopefully it won't put me in the poorhouse if we end up with it.
If you intend the bike to be maintained by the stealer, be prepared to BMW (Bitch, Moan, and Whine or Bring a real Mans Wallet) the standard service is costly to say the least. But, if you have the intestinal fortitude, the ability to read and don't mind sarcastic sometimes unrelated responses to posts for help on this forum. You can do it yourself fairly easily....

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #9 of 26 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 5:48 am

Quote:
Thanks zippy_gg,

............. And now oddly enough, it looks like there's this one up for grabs. Funny how these bikes don't retain their value any better then that.
The rapid and significant loss of resale value is what allows the comon man like myself to ride a $25,000 + motorcycle. I feel I was very fortunate to find mine with a Hannigan sidecar and less than 8000 miles for less than $12,000. A new one would have been far out of my reach.

One of the things you will soon learn is that the shift points are significantly higher for the LT than for your Vulcan. 4,000 to 5,000 rpm will keep the old gal on her toes and you will love riding it at these revs.

The top heavy feeling will soon pass and you will LOVE riding this bike in the sweepers and twisties. Two up is just a dream!

Enjoy the present with your father in law and may he and your famiy be at peace at this difficult time,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 26 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 6:33 am

Quote:
Thanks zippy_gg,

Actually it's my wife's dad, but that you very much for that!

I never thought of eBay, I'll check that out. The Canadian dollar is almost at par with the US greenback right now but we still seem to get dinged quite a bit more for bikes up here, must be our gov't raping us again.

Okay, so $16,000 sounds pretty reasonable to me. They'd give us less then that on a trade-in, so we might as well keep the bike in the family.

I'm fairly new to motorcycling and presently have a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic, it's been a fine bike and was okay for a 3-day trip that we took last summer but I know that the BMW would be way better for that type of application. I'll admit that I got caught-up with the Harley bug and thought for a while that I wanted one but I'm over that now and wouldn't be in the market for another cruiser for my next bike anyways.

Before all this business with my father-in-law started, I thought that maybe the R1200RT would be the bike for us but after doing some research, it looks like something bigger like the K1200LT or a Gold Wing would be the better choice. And now oddly enough, it looks like there's this one up for grabs. Funny how these bikes don't retain their value any better then that.

And thank you too amarider!

"Book value in the US ranges between 16K and 17k depending on location'

So it looks like $17,000-$18,000 Canadian would be pretty much in the ballpark.

Thanks a lot guys, I regret starting off on this forum with a downer of a topic but this will help us out later on.
I paid $13500.00 for a 2008 LT. It had 1300 miles. Custom seat, Zumo 550. Market is softer than you think. Even the bikes listed on this site are not selling...they want to much in this economy. FWIW

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #11 of 26 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 6:57 am

Just my input on how they hold up. I had a 99 LT with 70,000 mile on it when I noticed the engine seals, or something in that area leaking. That was the first problem I had with the bike since I purchased it. The only time it went in the shop was to have the valves checked at 50,000 miles and they were fine.
I took care of all the other routine maintenance. A member of this forum made several DVDs on how to do the routine maintenance that are a big help, and like other have said all you have to do is post a question and come back and read the answer.

Here's the link to the website for the DVD's

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #12 of 26 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 7:31 am

I just went through a final estate and ended up buying a car through it. If the bike is worth 17,000 you would pay the amount to the estate your wife and her brother would divide that amount so you would be getting the bike for 8500. I hope that helps.
post #13 of 26 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 7:56 am

check here for a quick and dirty value

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #14 of 26 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 9:39 am

if you click on the "classifieds" tab and search for LT's you can see what people have been asking for their bikes on this site going back over time. There was recently an 09 with very low mileage advertised for $15k.
post #15 of 26 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:01 am

You might also scan Ebay as well as all your other are classifieds. On top of the poor economy and the expected arrival of a totally revamped replacement for the LT.........it IS winter after all. Fire Sale prices are pretty common these day......when a bike actually DOES sell.
And BTW......welcome.....with the exception of the P-90, the majority of us prefer Humbuckers to Single Coils anyway

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #16 of 26 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:54 am

HUMBUCKER
My condolences to your family. On the LT, you sound like a fair and reasonable man as well as your brother in law. If you get all parties involved, sit down and discuss the fair price to all parties. Reach a price that is fair for everyone. Meaning if one thinks 15000 while another thinks 20000 take these and meet in the middle. Myself I would look at who would enjoy it more as well as keep it, enjoy it, and keep the memory of the father or father in law. These motorcycles are quite expensive to maintain if you look at it from a monetary stand point. However if you look at comfort, ridability and dependability they are unmatched anywhere. Dealers will rape on anything for these bikes. Search this site as there is wealth of knowledge from so many members. Myself I don't buy anything from the dealer that I don't absolutely have to. I have found many many sources for parts equivalent or better than BMW parts. But think ahead and allow time for shipping. You will get use to riding her and her little quirks. THERE IS NO BETTER.
Good luck and happy riding
post #17 of 26 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Some things can't be "valued"/priced.
post #18 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 6:23 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Newbie with question concering K1200LT.

Hey there,

Wow! I'm really impressed at the number of replies to my questions and also the quality of your answers, so many many thanks for taking the time guys to respond and also for your best wishes to all of us in this rather sad time. A big thanks goes out to all of you!

Many of you have advised to get up to speed and do some of the maintenance work on the bike yourself and avoid the dealership, I quite agree with that point, the big dealership here in my locale for BMW is basically out to rape you given the chance, I try to shop elsewhere. Everything on their shelves or racks is priced at least 20-30% higher then the smaller store five blocks down the road, I can just imagine how bad they rape you in the service dept.

Luckily, a couple of years ago I found myself a really good independent mechanic who's got 35 years experience, he's always treated me more then well, great service and very reasonable rates too. The first thing that he told me when I went in to talk to him was that he'll work on anything but Harleys and he told me this even before knowing what kind of bike I ride.

Apparently, when he was first starting out as an apprentice way back in the day, he worked at a Harley dealership and during that era, there were a lot of "dogs" and he got stuck with all of them and it drove him nuts, so even though Harley has come around since then, he's not interested in doing the work.

I'd check out those DVDs and see how much of that that I could handle doing and the rest would go to my regular mechanic. Thanks for the link for those DVDs rab 1967.

Hey t61vance,
You must be a guitar slinger too since you figured out the origin of my username. And I have to agree that P-90s are VERY cool too!

If my brother-in-law chooses to take the K1200LT, my wife and I would probably go and check-out some of the other BMW models, they have soooo many cool bikes. A while ago, I thought that the R1200RT would be the bike for us but apparently it's not in the same league as the LT for two-up touring. It's hard to decide.

I also like the K1300RT, it kind of looks like an R1200RT but with that big K1300 engine. We'd have to decide if we want something specifically for long-haul touring or something that covers more basses. We're going to take some of these bikes out for test rides this summer, that'll help with the decisions.

BTW, my wife has an old '82 Yamaha Virago 750 that's a basket case, we'll be looking at getting her a bike for herself this summer, my first thoughts were an F800ST or for a couple grand more, an R1200R! She always had a thing for the Triumph Thruxton too, hard to go wrong with that bike considering the price tag and everything. So many choices..............

Again, to everybody who posted, thanks! And thanks to all for the condolences, it's really appreciated!
post #19 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 8:22 am

Sorry to hear about your father in law, one thing on this forum you always find very helpful and caring people who offer a lot of great advise.

As far as value goes, in Canada, the bike will always be a bit more value as they cost more here. Even with our dollar at close to par there is still about a 7 cent difference which makes a fair spread on that big an item. I bought a used 2004 with 29,000 miles(not km's) on it for $12,000.00 three years ago. I had it into the dealer in Moncton for service this fall and got it appraised for $10,500.00 on a trade for a new RT, which I didn't think was too bad of a deal. I might be able to sell it for more, but I hate the hassle of doing that. If you keep the LT you will love it, I sure do mine, but I am finding I just don't like the weight and handling of it in slow driving, and there is always some of that on any trip. With my wife on the back adding to the top heavy aspect, I am just not as comfortable with it as I would like. I am going to sacrifice the comfort of the ride for the comfort of having a lighter and more nimble bike.

Since you live in Moncton, you could talk to the dealer to get an idea of what the bike is worth, the guys at Atlantic Motoplex are extremely helpful. I have had nothing but excellent service with them. Even if you aren't going to trade it, they could still advise what it might be worth.

post #20 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:56 am

If you are thinking about upgrading bikes for your wife, both the F800ST and the R1200R are great bikes. My wife tried both on for size (she was thinking about a bike just for her) and the F800 got her nod due to how low you can get the seat height down to (she is only 5' 2"). You can't go wrong with either one.
But........
If you ride two up, she may fall in love with riding pillion on the LT like my wife did. She loves it whether we take a trip 4 states away or if we just go out for a short ride for a burger. As a matter of of fact, SHE is usually wanting to go ride even if I am not. Rain, cold, heat....it doesn't matter. She says she just loves riding together on the LT, enough so that she gave up on the idea of a bike for her and decided we could better spend that money on gas, gear and hotel rooms. You know where I will be as soon as the weather breaks, on the road.
So, get your wifes opinion, see what she thinks. You might end up finding a whole new groove.
And yes my friend, it appears we share the same appreciation for guitars: '57 humbuckers in my ES, Duncan humbuckers in my custom Tele and P-90s in my Les. My son had me put Dimarzio humbucker in his Jackson. Hey...we gotta have something to do when it's too snowy to ride!

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #21 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

skydiver,

So, you're another Maritimer, eh! Nice to see a neighbour on here. you sure did alright buying a three year old LT for $12,000.00 (Canadian), you're right too about the bikes costing more up here.

I'm really shocked that Motoplex offered you $10,500.00, I thought that you'd get raped over there. With that being said, I do like Troy, their BMW salesman, he seems like a good guy. If I was in your position, I probably would have done that trade since you'd hardly lose a dime and avoiding the hassle of selling it yourself.

I'm six feet tall with a 32" inseam, so the height of the LT isn't really a concern but the one little test-ride I took it on last summer with my wife on the back kind of challenged me. It's a whole different animal then my Vulcan 1600 Classic. It handled very well but I would need to get in some decent saddle-time for sure before I could really enjoy this bike.

I can appreciate your point about giving up some comfort for agility, sometimes these big heavy bikes are a lot more work to get around on. What I'd like to know is just how much comfort do you forsake by going with something like a K1300GT or a R1200RT? They must be soooo much easier to ride but do you lose a significant amount of comfort in the bargain?

BTW, I will ask Troy the next time I'm in at his store how much this LT would be worth on a trade-in, if we decided to go with something a little bit easier to handle. It doesn't hurt to ask.

t61vance,

My wife is appx. 5' 7" tall, so she's not really short. At first I recommended the F800ST to her and she thought that that was a good choice but I've just been looking at the MSRP and for roughly $2000.00 more you can get an R1200RT, I think that that might be an even better choice now that I've given it some more thought. Seems like a lot more bike for just another $2000.00 but then.....if you just fork over another $2000.00 you can get a K1300R!!!

Yeah, my wife fell in love with the K1200LT when she rode pillion, she couldn't believe how nice a ride it was, especially compared to our Vulcan 1600 Classic. You sure can't argue that the LT is a Godsend for anybody sitting on the back.

In any case, there will be at least one (maybe two BMWs) sitting in our yard this summer, K1200LT, F800ST, K1300GT, K1300R, R1200RT......any of those will suffice.

I might even get rid of my Vulcan 1600 Classic but my wife likes it as lot and it is a good looking bike, plus a big V-twin is another fun flavor of motorcycle.

Hey and you're right about having to have something else to do during the snowy months, guitars are what I focus on too during the winter, helps in dealing with motorcycle withdrawal. Gibson ES and Custom Tele, very nice!!!

I have a set of Gibson '57 Classic/'57 Classic+ in my Epiphone Dot Deluxe Flame (with Bigsby) and they're a great pickup, my Gibson SG Standard and Les Paul Standard both have the 490R and 498T, I like 'em a lot, then there's my Strat...............oh yeah, it doesn't have humbuckers.
post #22 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 4:31 pm

Look at the KBB I guess I really got riped off. I didn't know a 2009 K1200LT was only worth $17,910, that a $5K loss in 3 months. Sure hope this bike last ten years without a problem. At least then I'll feel like I got my money's worth.

Life is all about attitude and the daily challenges it brings, however be who you want to be and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
post #23 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Quote:
skydiver,

So, you're another Maritimer, eh! Nice to see a neighbour on here. you sure did alright buying a three year old LT for $12,000.00 (Canadian), you're right too about the bikes costing more up here.

I'm really shocked that Motoplex offered you $10,500.00, I thought that you'd get raped over there. With that being said, I do like Troy, their BMW salesman, he seems like a good guy. If I was in your position, I probably would have done that trade since you'd hardly lose a dime and avoiding the hassle of selling it yourself.

I'm six feet tall with a 32" inseam, so the height of the LT isn't really a concern but the one little test-ride I took it on last summer with my wife on the back kind of challenged me. It's a whole different animal then my Vulcan 1600 Classic. It handled very well but I would need to get in some decent saddle-time for sure before I could really enjoy this bike.

I can appreciate your point about giving up some comfort for agility, sometimes these big heavy bikes are a lot more work to get around on. What I'd like to know is just how much comfort do you forsake by going with something like a K1300GT or a R1200RT? They must be soooo much easier to ride but do you lose a significant amount of comfort in the bargain?

BTW, I will ask Troy the next time I'm in at his store how much this LT would be worth on a trade-in, if we decided to go with something a little bit easier to handle. It doesn't hurt to ask.

t61vance,

My wife is appx. 5' 7" tall, so she's not really short. At first I recommended the F800ST to her and she thought that that was a good choice but I've just been looking at the MSRP and for roughly $2000.00 more you can get an R1200RT, I think that that might be an even better choice now that I've given it some more thought. Seems like a lot more bike for just another $2000.00 but then.....if you just fork over another $2000.00 you can get a K1300R!!!

Yeah, my wife fell in love with the K1200LT when she rode pillion, she couldn't believe how nice a ride it was, especially compared to our Vulcan 1600 Classic. You sure can't argue that the LT is a Godsend for anybody sitting on the back.

In any case, there will be at least one (maybe two BMWs) sitting in our yard this summer, K1200LT, F800ST, K1300GT, K1300R, R1200RT......any of those will suffice.

I might even get rid of my Vulcan 1600 Classic but my wife likes it as lot and it is a good looking bike, plus a big V-twin is another fun flavor of motorcycle.

Hey and you're right about having to have something else to do during the snowy months, guitars are what I focus on too during the winter, helps in dealing with motorcycle withdrawal. Gibson ES and Custom Tele, very nice!!!

I have a set of Gibson '57 Classic/'57 Classic+ in my Epiphone Dot Deluxe Flame (with Bigsby) and they're a great pickup, my Gibson SG Standard and Les Paul Standard both have the 490R and 498T, I like 'em a lot, then there's my Strat...............oh yeah, it doesn't have humbuckers.

Yes, it was Troy I was talking to, he is a good guy and I know the prices there are high on accessories and clothing etc. and their serice charge is high, but on a par with a lot of motorcycle dealers I think. Best thing is like you did, find an independent mechanic. And I DID TAKE THE DEAL, and have a RT on order, my LT is tucked away in the garage awaiting the snow to melt and the RT to arrive. I know my wife won't be as happy with the ride on the back of the RT, although on the test drive she thought it was ok, just needs a softer seat which I will have to address after it comes in. I am hoping it will arrive before the snow melts so I can send away the seat pan and have a custom one made. Haven't decided which yet, but am leaning towards the Kontour. I will really miss the ride on the LT, but with my bad ankles and knee I really want to get a better handling bike for slow manouvering. When I had the LT to Cape Breton in the summer, I had a hard time with my tour mates who could nip in and out of places, pull over to the side of the road anywhere to snap a picture etc., a few times I pulled over the shoulder just about did me in(along with the wife). Not to mention a couple of times in different parking lots, I did drop it with my wife on the back, she wasn't happy with that, so I don't think I will have a hard time convincing her the RT will be a better option. The day I took it out for a test I stalled it just as I was pulling out of the parking lot, had my wheel cut to turn right, then an abrupt stall. If that had been the LT, it would have been down. Of course if it had been the LT I wouldn't have stalled it. Once I got used to first gear on the RT I was ok, but I really liked the way it handled in traffic, and I could make a u-turn very easily on a side road, something I wouldn't attempt on the LT with the wife on back. One thing with you being 6'2" and 32" inseam, you wouldn't have the problems I have, I am 5'6", and only 29-30 inseam. I could put my feed down ok, not quite flat, but good enough, but I just didn't like having to always worry about handling it through traffic etc., at slow speeds, pulling into rotarys and merging into traffic at slow speeds, trying to look over my shoulder, and worrying about whether I can continue the slow turn into the traffic lane, that really bothered me, if I started to go, then couldn't merge, had to stop quick, wheel not quite straight...not fun. But I think the more you do it, and with your dimensions you wouldn't have all those issues. Maybe I will see you sometime in Moncton. Good luck on your decision.

post #24 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks skydiver,

Actually, I'm not 6' 2", I'm six feet tall. But I don't have any problems with ankles or knees, so I'm good there.

I can understand how such a big heavy bike could be tricky in tight spots at low speeds. I think that I could get comfortable on it, I'd just need to get enough saddle time in.

Enjoy your RT this summer, that'll be a lot of fun I'm sure!
post #25 of 26 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:37 pm

I am sorry about your father. Your low ball was the number as if you were going to trade it in. Click on the link below to show what a dealer would most likely began asking for. Good luck...
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail...0lt-abs/253042

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800
post #26 of 26 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 12:40 pm

Outside of retail I have never seen one outside of it's model year go for more than 15k..... Fortunately they never seem to dip much lower than 9k either. Without a bunch of extras If you get an offer for anything over 14k I would take it.
My condolences as well.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in