Won't start after battery change, doesn't unlock immobility security - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

Won't start after battery change, doesn't unlock immobility security

I have been dealing with this for two weeks now.

I pulled the battery from the K1200lt and charged it.
I put the battery back in the bike, connecting positve leads first.
Key = ON,I clicked the left "A" button on the security fob and then hit the start button.
-----------NOTHING HAPPENS---------------

I try several more times and nothing happens, the security lights don't flash. Basically when I hit the "A" button on the security fob, the bike does not react at all, no blinking lights or clicking what so ever.

----------- I follow the forum reprogramming instructions found on this site------------
Click "A" button once,
Ground the white/brown wire plug to the battery,
Clickk "A" two more times,
turn the key to the ON position and wait for the bike to enter the program mode
Again, NOTHING HAPPENS.

I have tried this several times over the past few days and now I'm running out of patience.

The bike is acting like it doesn't recognize the security key fob at all. Pushing buttons on the fob do not make the bike react.

I need serious help to get this bike moving again. Also, when I do get this bike running I desperately want to remove the security feature entirely from the bike. I am stranded by this immobility feature and totally frustrated by the fact that everything else on this bike is in perfect working order....I just can't get past the security system.

Grady
2000 K1200lt
Fremont, California
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Re: Won't start after battery change, doesn't unlock immobility security

Make sure you have not missed any wire connectors to the + on the battery as it sounds like you have . . Regards numbnuts in blighty .
post #3 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Checked the battery connections mulitple times, just to be sure, I ran out and looked again. I don't believe the battery connections are the problem.

Grady
2000 K1200lt
Fremont, California
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 7:01 pm

How may fobs do you have? Did you try them both?
Do you see the led on the key fob flash when you press it?
Have you tried replacing the battery in the key fob? I believe it takes a CR2032.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

I have one key fob.
The battery in the fob is good, the led light on the fob turns RED when either the "A" or "B" button is pressed.

Grady
2000 K1200lt
Fremont, California
post #6 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 7:57 pm

I had the same problem last year two days before a 1,000 trip. Somewhere on this site I found information on how to dismantle the entire security system by splicing a few wires under the rear trunk assembly. I did this and the bike started right up. Needless to say, the security system is on the shelf and will never be reinstalled as long as I have the bike. I just don't like the uncertainty of being away from home and something like this happening.
post #7 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

If I can find that post about splicing wires and permanently dismantling the security system, I will do it.

Grady
2000 K1200lt
Fremont, California
post #8 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 8:27 pm

A friend was over a while back and after a few hours he went to start the bike to leave and nothing happened, like the battery was dead. We tried everything, pushed everything there was on the bike, charged the battery still nothing. He called for a tow truck and while we were waiting I said lets try bump starting it can't hurt. He got on and I pushed him a few feet he let out the clutch in second gear and it fired right up! He let it run for a few mins and shut it off and everything was normal after that, really strange and it has never happened again. He did take it to the dealer for a look over and they found nothing and could not explain it either.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 9:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

When I had the battery out for the clutch job I had to cycle the alarm on and off a couple of time before everything worked right.You may give that a try. Bypassing instructions are in the "Files" "Technical" area and are pretty straight forward.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

The techincal file for bypassing the alarm is for a 2005 and up. I have a 2000, but I will remove the top case and look at the 12 pin connector. If all looks right according to the file, I will start jumpering the pins in the order described in the document and see where that leaves me.

Grady
2000 K1200lt
Fremont, California
post #11 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

I'm going to replace the battery with an Odyssey 680 first. I have found the current battery drained down many times over the past two years, so a fresh battery is a good place to start. After that, I will tear into that top box and start splicing.

Grady
2000 K1200lt
Fremont, California
post #12 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 2:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramiras
The techincal file for bypassing the alarm is for a 2005 and up. I have a 2000, but I will remove the top case and look at the 12 pin connector. If all looks right according to the file, I will start jumpering the pins in the order described in the document and see where that leaves me.
This should help on the early bike. I don't have the pictures but you should not need them.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Not an overly detailed description.doc (25.5 KB, 565 views)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

So I only need two jumpers (#3 to #4, and #5 to #6). ???

Grady
2000 K1200lt
Fremont, California
post #14 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Not the best document but there are pics here. When I took my alarm out I made some jumpers for the plug for those 4 wires but I didn't feel as though they fit well even when I taped them in. So, I took them out and just used two of those blue wire connectors that you squeeze together that have a clip that snaps to keep them in place right before the wires go into the connector. I also taped over those. It has been several months since I did that and no problems so far.

Good Luck,
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bmwalarm.pdf (733.9 KB, 402 views)
post #15 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 7:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Follow Daves diagram as I think what I posted is for the early standard alarms (2001 to 2003). The 99 and 2000 did not come with a factory alarm they were installed by the dealers. But yes you are looking to enable the fuel pump and the starter relay.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 9:11 pm

Instead of jumpers, I spliced the wires together about 2 inches below the connector. I don't trust the press quick connectors. I soldiered the wires together then cover with heated shrink wrap. This way you will not have a problem later with a bad connector. If you wish to reinstall the security system, you can just unsoldier and splice back.
post #17 of 22 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 8:55 pm

This is a very scary thread...........
post #18 of 22 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

scary, yes. Yet very necessary for me anyway. I have, over the past year spent $2,453 on "maintenance" at the local BMW shop in San Jose. With all that money spent, I expect to be able to ride the bike, and not be turned away because of an unecessary feature that has nothing to do with the "performance" of the machine.

The bike could potentially "lock me out" at any low voltage moment caused by a weak battery. This could happen on a cross country ride, miles from help or dealership assistance, let alone web access to this site and the wealth of knowledge from it's members.

The K1200LT is the best touring machine running, provided that it is indeed running. Without the help of the active members on this site willing to post advice, the K1200LT could be more of a technical challenge than most riders are willing to suffer.

Grady
2000 K1200lt
Fremont, California
post #19 of 22 Old Jan 17th, 2010, 4:05 am

I saw a thread similar to this one a few months ago and sent it to my Blackberry via email. Put the text of the email in a memo on the BB so that if it DOES happen to me in a galaxy far far away I will have the instructions to McGyver it back to life.

I like having the alarm on when I park the bike at night at the hospital. We seem to have some "unsavory" types around here from time to time.........

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #20 of 22 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 2:44 pm

I DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW THE ALARM WORKS

The previous owner said I needed the fob near the bike but I've proved that untrue.
The buttons don't seem to do anything. Do I even need that thing if I don't use it?

The central locking feature I totally don't understand. But now my battery is dead!

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #21 of 22 Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 9:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The FOB is just a transmitter that only works when you push a button. The bike does not "sense" its presence. If the light on the FOB lights up when you push a button then its battery is OK. If it does not light up you need a new FOB battery. Get your bikes battery charged up and we will then go to the next step. We will get you going. The central locking feature is controlled by the FOB. A single press of the ribbed button will cause the side cases, top case and the oddiments box (glove box) to lock and a single press of the smooth button will unlock them. Two presses of the ribbed button will lock the cases and set the alarm. A single press of the smooth button will unlock and disarm the alarm.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #22 of 22 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 12:20 pm

I have had the same problem, after doing 12k mile maint on bike, 2+ months, battery was @ 4 vdc. charged up battery, no start, several tries. when I turn the key on, alarm, push right button on key fob, several tries. Finally I turned on key, hit left button , then right button on key fob........Bingo it started

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in