Paint your LT ??? Anyone??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 12:12 am Thread Starter

Paint your LT ??? Anyone???

I've never really liked the color of my LT and have thought about painting it. I still haven't had to disassemble the bike for any reason so I'm not sure what it's going to take to get all the painted parts off. I sure don't want to get into good riding weather and my bike be all over the shop floor.
Has anyone painted their bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 12:30 am

Re: Paint your LT ??? Anyone???

Is your ride Toscani Green in color? One of the prettiest colors there is for an LT. Saw one on a ride once and it sure is a pretty color. And I don't like green!

Dona search on paint on the LT forum. There was a post last week from a member who painted his LT one of those colors that change in different light conditions.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 2:43 am
Gold Supporter

I have done 10-15 bikes,,Pretty easy just remove all the tupperware wet sand all the panels, primer-paint-- followed by clear coat. If you have never painted take it to your local body shop and they will clamp the pieces in an octopus and paint it for you...Matthew

post #4 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 7:54 am Thread Starter

wa...yes, it's Toscani Green. Seems like I get lots of positive comments from ladies about the color but I've just never taken to it. It is good about "not" showing dirt.

roadcrave....I have done quite a bit of painting but I have NEVER taken an LT apart. That's where I'm concerned. The most I've done is to take the mirrors off and one side fairing off.
post #5 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 8:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
I've never really liked the color of my LT and have thought about painting it. I still haven't had to disassemble the bike for any reason so I'm not sure what it's going to take to get all the painted parts off. I sure don't want to get into good riding weather and my bike be all over the shop floor.
Has anyone painted their bike?
Hey Ron,
If your machine is Toscana.. I have a riding buddy that thinks that is about the best color there has been in a LT.. Perhaps before you paint .. if you are going to pull the skins.. you should work out a swap if the year parts would swap His is an 00' and gray... HUMMM ?? we might be starting a new theme,,,

Bill

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #6 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 8:27 am

Maybe we could organize a "swap meet" - where those who want to change the color of their bikes meet, strip it, and switch painted pieces with someone else. Seriously.

I'd love to have the Toscani Green (or Canyon Red!) on my LT; maybe somebody would like my Dark Graphite Metallic - whether for a permanent change, or something they'd keep for awhile before painting it.

I proposed the same thing a couple of years ago regarding the seat and trim. I have gray but I want black. Someone took me up on that offer but I didn't follow through on it.

<edit>
I see Bill posted the same idea just as I hit enter. So there you are - at least 2 minds thinking alike.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #7 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Maybe we could organize a "swap meet" - where those who want to change the color of their bikes meet, strip it, and switch painted pieces with someone else. Seriously.

I'd love to have the Toscani Green (or Canyon Red!) on my LT; maybe somebody would like my Dark Graphite Metallic - whether for a permanent change, or something they'd keep for awhile before painting it.

I proposed the same thing a couple of years ago regarding the seat and trim. I have gray but I want black. Someone took me up on that offer but I didn't follow through on it.

<edit>
I see Bill posted the same idea just as I hit enter. So there you are - at least 2 minds thinking alike.
Pretty scary Howard.. Isn't it.. HEE.. actually I agree.. a change can be a good thing !! PS my 05' is the dark graphite and I like that.. I just figured all those pre 05 colors were out for us.. different body parts :<( I guess I have to wait on new exciting colors.. like Black :<)

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #8 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 9:05 am

Why would you want to paint over the prettiest color BMW ever painted a bike? Honestly though, I did not see mine in the daylight until I had already made the purchase, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the comments that women make all the time about the bike and it's color!

I was not too crazy about the color at first, didn't really care one way or the other, but it has grown on me and I'm glad that it's so rare. I think that less than 5% were made that color.

So, before you paint it, you might want to give it a second thought or maybe swap with someone who has an "Impala Brown" or would like to own one of the rarest BMW colors.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 9:11 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Those of us here in Texas must just have the luck as we have one of the best Bike painters in our own back yard.
His name is Davis Kinsey AKA D.Kinsey here on the forum. Here's a few pics of his LT that he painted ALL black (even the chrome parts & forks) with Kandy Red wheels.
Send him a PM & I'm sure he'll send all the pics of his work you want

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 9:13 am Thread Starter

I think you're all on to something. A LOT less work to just swap with someone. I just didn't think there would be any takers for the green.

This could become a "SWAP" forum. Anything else you wana swap for a while???
post #11 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 9:59 am

I have a silver 2002. I always wondered what it would look like with blue sides, green bags and a red top case.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #12 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 10:12 am

Quote:
I think you're all on to something. A LOT less work to just swap with someone. I just didn't think there would be any takers for the green.

Ron the first step is to indicate the year of your LT and post a couple of different pic's of the bike. FWIW I like the green color also!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #13 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cealbrecht
I have a silver 2002. I always wondered what it would look like with blue sides, green bags and a red top case.....
Think Christmas....................

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #14 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 10:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Those of us here in Texas must just have the luck as we have one of the best Bike painters in our own back yard.
His name is Davis Kinsey AKA D.Kinsey here on the forum. Here's a few pics of his LT that he painted ALL black (even the chrome parts & forks) with Kandy Red wheels.
Send him a PM & I'm sure he'll send all the pics of his work you want

Thanks Steve......the problem with painting is that it cost money

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #15 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 10:48 am

Wink Re: Paint your LT ??? Anyone???

Quote:

Sure, I kind of like that green as well, but do be aware that the saddlebag lids are held on with rivets at the hinges. You will need to drill out the hinges to remove the lids from the rest of the compartments. They can be re-attached with nuts & bolts if you prefer however.

And shipping something as large and bulky as the trunk and side fairings could become quite spendy.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #16 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Just spitballing here...

So, we all meet in some central location - somewhere with a shop (to get out of the weather) and someone who has the skills, knowledge and tools to remove all the painted pieces, including the aforementioned-riveted pieces. It could be done assembly-line fashion, and much of the work could be done on the bikes simultaneously. Lunch would be provided. Sounds like a very specific kind of Tech Session!

To clarify, I was thinking of a permanent swap. No going back to the original color. This wouldn't be an LT parts library, but a permanent deal.

One downside I can think: owner A's LT parts are not in the same condition as owner B's. There would have to be a way to resolve that.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #17 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 5:37 pm
Enjoy The Ride

No need to drill out the rivets just 4 bolts & the whole case comes off. You would want to keep the handles so your ignition key still works. They unbolt as well. I'm not sure about changing the top case lock. I wouldn't want to have more than one key. Stingray key lock would need changing as well.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #18 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 6:05 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I had the pleasure of looking at D.Kinsey's custom painted black LT this past News Years day. The pictures don't look anywhere near as good as the bike actually looks. I have been around custom painted bikes & cars since the early 70s. It is very obvious that the prep work was correctly done before the paint was applied. The paint finish looks like black chrome. I saw no orange peel at all. I also didn't notice any chips in the paint (unlike my two month old paint job).

I would not have any problem sending David pieces to be painted. When I spoke to him it was obvious he knows what he is doing getting the plastic peices prepped for paint. A lot of painters wont take the time to prep everything correctly because of the time it takes.

I don't impress very easily but I was very impressed on the quality of his paint job.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #19 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 6:19 pm

It is soooooo hard for me to remain humble in the presence of mere mortals but if I didn't have my sidecar painted to match my bike I would swap my purple(the color of royalty) skins for your green ones in a second! Anyone have a Toscani green sidecar and bike they want to swap?????

This would truly be one for the books!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #20 of 25 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 7:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I had the pleasure of looking at D.Kinsey's custom painted black LT this past News Years day. The pictures don't look anywhere near as good as the bike actually looks.
I don't impress very easily but I was very impressed on the quality of his paint job.

Saddleman,...how did Huntersville and El Paso connect on NY day? One of you must have had a LOOOOONG ride!
post #21 of 25 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 10:39 am

+1 here also. I wasn't really sure about a "green" bike that all the other riders say it's bad luck. Well, after the first day, I really liked it and it is easy to find in a parkinglot full of other LT's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Why would you want to paint over the prettiest color BMW ever painted a bike? Honestly though, I did not see mine in the daylight until I had already made the purchase, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the comments that women make all the time about the bike and it's color!

I was not too crazy about the color at first, didn't really care one way or the other, but it has grown on me and I'm glad that it's so rare. I think that less than 5% were made that color.

So, before you paint it, you might want to give it a second thought or maybe swap with someone who has an "Impala Brown" or would like to own one of the rarest BMW colors.....

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #22 of 25 Old Jan 13th, 2010, 8:45 pm

i went a little different most would say. the pics are in the gallery under my name. in 2008 my bike was backed into and fell over into my buddies connie. most panels survived but were scratched. i looked at just replacing all these with the original parts since the person who hit it insurance had paid for that. but i have seen plenty of 1999 champagne LTs out there. i have not (nor ever expect to) seen a bike the new color of mine. i took my time and with help from paul's videos removed all the painted parts. i keep the two-tone color scheme. what was graphitan is now gloss black. you can make your own determination on the main color. but it is a PPG paint. luckily for me, one of my riding buddies also runs a body shop. so i just took the individual pieces to him a few trips at a time over the winter. i did re-rivet the bags and trunk latch back on. the trunk top and bottom is the only thing i left together. but it was masked off well and you can see no original color, even open.

good luck with whatever you decide.

and the new paint has met the ground already. parked on centerstand one warm day and pavement sunk in. i got over it. it was bound to happen. besides, it's not a show bike. it's made for riding.
post #23 of 25 Old May 7th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Does anyone know of a website or a link that shows all the bits of bodywork i.e. tupperware, that needs to be removed to paint the entire bike a different color ?.
post #24 of 25 Old May 8th, 2010, 7:37 am

Here three paint schemes I picked off this site two or three years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwfighter2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	27293   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwamflag.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	27294   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwcamo.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	27295  

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #25 of 25 Old May 8th, 2010, 10:29 am

My Bikes (2001) Baby shit green, aka Toscana, Who's offerin what for my painted parts? Oh, and your shippin to the UK too.

I quite like the colour, not seen another bike close to it in colour either. I've thought about a custom paint job, but would die if it got scratched or chipped, at least with this I can touch it up with my little touch up stick.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in