Where to mount Fuzeblock in K1200LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 6:59 pm Thread Starter
jsb

Question Where to mount Fuzeblock in K1200LT?

I have been gazing at my K1200LT with the seats pulled off, trying to figure out where the best place is to mount my Fuzeblock, and I can't figure out a good spot to mount it. I looked around, and the only placement I saw that was specific to a K1200LT was in a tray under the front seat, which seems nice enough, but was wondering if anyone else had solved the problem differently. It doesn't look like I can mount it under the back seat, since the clearance looks suspect, and I really don't see a good place under the front seat.

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 7:05 pm

Re: Where to mount Fuzeblock in K1200LT?

I have mine right above the battery box, with wires long enough to move it out of the way to get to the battery.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 7:19 pm Thread Starter
jsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
I have mine right above the battery box, with wires long enough to move it out of the way to get to the battery.
When you say above the battery box, do you mean actually mounting to the metal battery hold-down bracket? Or did you put some sort of shelf thingie (technical term) on top of the battery to mount it to? Would you perchance have a photo of the installation?

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 8:40 pm

I put mine under the rear seat where the canister used to be.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 19 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 8:55 pm Thread Starter
jsb

Wow! They must have done some serious under the seat changes in the later LTs (mine's a 2003). That doesn't look anything like what I have under the seats.

[EDIT] Wait a sec, that is actually under the trunk, isn't it?
post #6 of 19 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 9:11 pm

I had a Blue Sea fuse block sitting on top of the battery, and as someone else posted with wires all coming from one end, and long enough to lift the fuse block out of the way to service or remove the battery. The bottom of the box is insulated, so it is not really necessary to hard mount it. A piece of foam under it would be nice, but not necessary.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 19 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 9:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb
I have been gazing at my K1200LT with the seats pulled off, trying to figure out where the best place is to mount my Fuzeblock, and I can't figure out a good spot to mount it. I looked around, and the only placement I saw that was specific to a K1200LT was in a tray under the front seat, which seems nice enough, but was wondering if anyone else had solved the problem differently. It doesn't look like I can mount it under the back seat, since the clearance looks suspect, and I really don't see a good place under the front seat.

Any other suggestions?
My installation is pictured at the Fuzeblocks site. I used a K-box which works well, but is pricey for what you get. However, I like the neat installation and have since mounted some other components in the box. By leaving enough slack in the leads, I can easily move the K-box up out of the way for access to the battery,

http://www.ccmotorcycles.com/

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Garage

Most have mounted them in the same location. Under the trunk, there is enough room to smuggle a few un mentionables. Add to this, making a "clean" install is easier )Not that mine is! And you will not have to remove the FB to get to the battery... I have a Y2K, but I am not sure if you have the canister (on an '03)....

On second thought, Its just plain nasty under there!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #9 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb
Wow! They must have done some serious under the seat changes in the later LTs (mine's a 2003). That doesn't look anything like what I have under the seats.

[EDIT] Wait a sec, that is actually under the trunk, isn't it?

As you say.. under the trunk for both of the posts in this thread.. I might suggest a slightly more accessible area is on the left or right side under the passenger seat and above the side bags. I have my intercom placed on one side and fuse block on the other.. both can be serviced or a fuse replaced a bit easier even if there is less room any of the common fuse blocks can be made to fit and as it is all plastic back there electrical short worries are not present and I just use Velcro to attach them.. if you need to pull out to get to a connector, it is easily done. soon as I tear her down again I will try to post some pic's .. with new fuseblock from the group buy.

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #10 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 9:33 am

I would never mount a fuse block where the top box has to be removed to get to it. If you blow a fuse, it should be EASY to get to. There is plenty of room over the battery, and you can change a fuse (or pull one to work on a circuit) just by lifting the seat. Having to remove the top box to do that just seems impractical at best.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #11 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 10:00 am Thread Starter
jsb

So here are the three potential spots:
  1. On top of the battery.
  2. Under the rear seat, along the edge, on top of the side boxes.
  3. Under the trunk.
On top of the battery is good due to its accessibility. It's easy to check a fuse, easy to add a new connection. However, it strikes me as being a bit of a rats nest there, and it makes me vaguely uneasy to put something right on top of the battery, it just seems like its begging for a a short there. The tray gives some separation, and that may be the way I'll go.

Under the rear seat is pretty good due to the fact there is enough room to lay things out a little more cleanly. I am installing my Autocom there, and there is quite a bit of room. With only two screws to remove and a plug to unplug, the acessibility, while not optimal, is pretty good. I like this one also.

Under the trunk is great because is it clean, out of the way, and leave room for all the farkles you could ever want in all the other spots. Its drawback is its inaccessibility. No fun on the side of the road. Maybe I should mount the Autocom back there, leaving one of the under the rear seat spots open for a future, as yet to be unnamed farkle.

Of course, I may be just thinking too much about this, and just need to stick the damn thing somewhere, anywhere.
post #12 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I would never mount a fuse block where the top box has to be removed to get to it. If you blow a fuse, it should be EASY to get to. There is plenty of room over the battery, and you can change a fuse (or pull one to work on a circuit) just by lifting the seat. Having to remove the top box to do that just seems impractical at best.
Yes SIr, me thinks the same! What is the idea of installing fuses in a location that you have to pull apart half a bike to get access to them...

In the attached pics there are a total of 16 switched and 4 unswitched fuses in three different blocks. One in the front just behind the high beam and the other two under the front seat (installed against the rear fender.)
The main idea in my installations has been of course the fact that these fuse blocks are not too big in size. I have needed space for other gadgets as well...
The switched blocks are fed by on 70 Amp main relay with 6 mm2 (about 9 AWG) cable.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front fuse block 1.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	25895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front fuse block 2.JPG
Views:	3041
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	25896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear wirings and fuse blocks (in front).JPG
Views:	1653
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	25897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear fuse blocks 2.JPG
Views:	1716
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	25898  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #13 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
There are a total of 16 switched and 4 unswitched fuses in three different blocks.
Regards
? While your prowess as a fakle engineer is widely known to be far and above most mortals, I pray that you make a well detailed schematic of all the additions. Can you imagine the questions that will get posted from the next "newbie" that gets your bike when you trade up to the K1600?
I can see it now. What is this connector? Where does this go? What brown wire do I cut???????? Is this OEM?

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #14 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 4:22 pm

You are absolutely right Steve! And that is why I did this:

http://picasaweb.google.fi/pozoizqui...NEWELECTRICALS#

Now everything is coded and all the cables and devices can be found in the attached Excel file ( I have the printouts of course in my toolbox for just in case I don'r happen to remember all the cable codes... ) The drawing is one of the six pages.

If you need help with the unit code abbreviations..:
R = relay, CN = connector, B = ballast, F = fuse, S = switch, D = diode, O = outlet and C = is cable

My original Excel file was too large so I had to remove one spreadsheet from the file, so it's not complete...

Regards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wiring.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	25899  
Attached Files
File Type: xls LT electricals sample.xls (892.0 KB, 82 views)

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #15 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 4:42 pm

Garage

Of coarse you did! What the hell was I thinking!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
You are absolutely right Steve! And that is why I did this:

http://picasaweb.google.fi/pozoizqui...NEWELECTRICALS#

Now everything is coded and all the cables and devices can be found in the attached Excel file ( I have the printouts of course in my toolbox for just in case I don'r happen to remember all the cable codes... ) The drawing is one of the six pages.

If you need help with the unit code abbreviations..:
R = relay, CN = connector, B = ballast, F = fuse, S = switch, D = diode, O = outlet and C = is cable

My original Excel file was too large so I had to remove one spreadsheet from the file, so it's not complete...

Regards

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #16 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 8:50 pm

I don't mind the fuse block under the area of the back case as i took it off. I does take a little more time to get to it but I don't like the over the battery area to much of a rats nest. One place to mount an autocom is over the top of the radio plenty of room there.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #17 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2010, 9:12 pm

+1 on the on top of the side cases underneath the passenger section of the seat. I mounted a BlueSea 6 position there, and used two sheet metal screws into the plastic to fasten it. To put in there you need to move the plastic molding for the side case, but once it's in you can access the fuses easily and it's always out of the way.
I don't have my pictures anymore though.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #18 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 8:22 am

Here is my Blue Sea box on top of the battery. Easy access to fuses, and Easy access to the battery. The trick was to run all the wires from the fuse box to the front to allow lifting it up to get to the battery. There was enough slack in the wires to easily remove the battery if needed. Since the bottom of the box is plastic, no danger of shorting anything. After I took the pictures I put a thin piece of foam under it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FuseBlock1.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	25910   Click image for larger version

Name:	FuseBlock2.JPG
Views:	1189
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	25911  

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #19 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Attached shows how I installed. (I photoshopped somebody'else photo to show my installation) I had to move the hole into the plastic tray to the other side since 30amp in line fuse wire from the battery was not long enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb

Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1986_inverted.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	25913  

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in