Question about Canbus? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Question about Canbus?

I don't know much about the Canbus system, except what I have read here. I purchased a new 2009 K1200LT in June of 2009 and thought that it had the Canbus system on it. I was told by my dealership tech today that the 2009 LT does not have the canbus. He looked it up in their computer and then verified this with their tech. The reason this came up was I wanted a battery tender, and, at the BMW shop, they had one that you simply plugged into the accessory jack and plug it in to the wall. It was only $69.95. It said on the package that from 2005 forward, you had to take the battery out of the bike to charge it. The tech at the dealership (I think this dealership is fairly well respected and is located in Greenville, SC) said that this unit would work fine, since my 2009 LT does not have the canbus on it. I bought it, plugged it up and it seems to be charging OK. Does the 2009 LT not have the Canbus? From what I have read, I am probably glad if it doesnt......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Re: Question about Canbus?

It does NOT.
Your charger will work fine.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 6:42 pm

You could have bought a Battery Tender Jr. for only $35. They work fine also.

Scott
2009 LT

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 7:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

For those who would like to know more about CAN-bus

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 14 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The only charging consideration for your bike is the gel battery. It requires a charger specifically designed for this type of battery.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 10:28 pm

I tried canbus when I was young but I grew out of it. I've heard that the last few presidents have too. I just don't know why they just don't legalize it. It seems most have tried it at one time or another. So why not put it out there and let the people decide wether or not to use it? Heck with BMW putting it on their bikes it should be legal. I didn't even realize I had it on mine. I better find it and get rid of it before my neighbor finds out about it. He's a cop. I hope he doesn't bring home one of those dogs. I'm glad to know that BMW isn't putting canbus on their bikes anymore. If I don't find it soon I might have to upgrade to avoid problems with my neighbor. Maybe that new six cylinder will be out before my neighbor figures out I have it on my bike and huals me downtown. What Hun? You say Controller–area network (CAN or CAN-bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer. Oh that's very different. Never mind.

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 1:05 am

As people have confirmed, the LT is not CANBUS and will have come supplied with a Gel battery.
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 9:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymarks
I tried canbus when I was young but I grew out of it. I've heard that the last few presidents have too. I just don't know why they just don't legalize it. It seems most have tried it at one time or another. So why not put it out there and let the people decide wether or not to use it? Heck with BMW putting it on their bikes it should be legal. I didn't even realize I had it on mine. I better find it and get rid of it before my neighbor finds out about it. He's a cop. I hope he doesn't bring home one of those dogs. I'm glad to know that BMW isn't putting canbus on their bikes anymore. If I don't find it soon I might have to upgrade to avoid problems with my neighbor. Maybe that new six cylinder will be out before my neighbor figures out I have it on my bike and huals me downtown. What Hun? You say Controller–area network (CAN or CAN-bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer. Oh that's very different. Never mind.

Thanks, I needed that. Do you do standup, too?

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #9 of 14 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 9:13 am

It doesn't and the Battery tender will work just fine on your 09

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymarks
Thank you Rosana Dana...!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 14 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Yo dude...! I know all about cannabis!!!

Cough, cough!
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Just roll it up or put it in a pipe. Either way it's all good.... Oh you said CANBUS, sorry
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. I have hooked up the battery tender and I love just being able to plug it into an accessory outlet. Works Great!!
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 2:10 am

jers99lt... I only wish I could do standup. zippy_gg... Actually I believe the name is Roseanne Roseanna Dana but the one you're refering to is Emily Litella. I guess I stopped before those brain cells were toasted. Damn I miss Gilda.

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in