LT to RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 2:33 pm Thread Starter
jrh

Smile LT to RT

I have an 07 Lt & ride 98 per cent 2 up, Corbin seats with arm rests for my wife and she says it is the best yet. I would like to go to the RT but don't like the box and back rest from BMW. Has anyone made any modifications with this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 3:13 pm

Re: LT to RT

Respectfully suggest you and wife go for an extended test run on an RT. We did. Got another LT. Her first comment was "It is WAY windier back here" (while on the RT). Then other notes such as ride, vibes, etc. If just me, might be a toss-up. No comparison (for us) 2-up. It is more than just looks.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 6:15 pm

I agree with Jim. Really check it out. We fond that there was less front to back space and a lot of helmet banging. The LT is much better for two up.

Kevin.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 12:36 am

Definitely stick with the LT. I have an 04 RT and love the bike, but 2 up is uncomfortable after too long for my wife. She has her own bike, but still likes to ride with me. After 30 - 40 miles she needs a break. I plan on getting a used LT in the spring just for the room and more weight. The RT is really fun for single riding, but not really conducive for two up.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Most of my long rides are solo but even short rides are a little less pleasant for the wife. A new seat helped a lot but she still prefers the LT. As for me yeah, the LT has more comfort but I am very happy with the RT as well. The Bakup back rest helped a lot but took major effort on Mayers part to make it work.
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Like the others have said. If you want it for 1 up riding or short (50 miles or less rides) then go with the RT but if your wife is already use to the LT then I would say you will have to make her happy. Remember when mama is happy everybody is happy.

My wife hates the RT, to windy, less protection, less bike around her, and vibrates to much and she can't hear the radio.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 10:54 am

Can't disagree with the opinions of folks who've tried both - I haven't.

But I do own an 08 RT and we ride 2 up regularly for day rides, not for multi day runs. So here are some RT comments.

First, the RT needs an aftermarket windscreen even for the rider to provide decent protection,
That helps the passenger a lot, also. I've tried the one from National Cycle (Z Tech?) that is on the bike and the Cal Sci, another good choice but not polycarbonate.

My passenger never complained about the stock seat and 49 l box setup on mine but the bike now has heated Sargent seats that are better. Many RT riders complain about the stock RT seat and change it out.

We ride in any temp with heated gear when called for. She plugs into a "direct to battery" plug I installed to get around current limits of the factory provided outlets. (They're ZFE controlled, have a 10 A total limit that is less than 2 Gerbings draw). Note this if you use heated gear. Not sure what limits if any the LT has.

We use the Scala Rider bluetooth sets in Shoei 1100, don't worry about music, and have no issues with banging heads.

Bike works fine 2 up but no twin will match a 4 or 6 for freedom from vibrations. However, the RT is very smooth when properly tuned though susceptible to additional vibrations if not well synched. Neither of us notice vibrations at speed. No buzz fatigue on the RT - I sometimes do 500 miles/day solo.

My passenger is not large - only 5" 3" and not at all pudgy. A larger passenger will have less space and add more weight with more impact on handling. The RT ESA is pretty decent if you go back and forth from solo to 2 up a lot.

No doubt the LT is more plush for passengers and I'd pick it for anything more than day riding for 2. But that comes at the expense of a lot of bulk, more mechanical complexity, etc.

Comes down to how much you want the smaller bulk and handling properties of the RT vs how plush stuff needs to be for your passenger. Mine used to ride little bikes in Thailand in Peace Corps and thinks the RT is pretty plush but she's never been on an LT to compare.
And frankly, I wouldn't buy an LT - too big for my tastes. I also rejected the K-GT for weight issues and the preferred simplicity of my RT though I have owned 4 cyl bikes in the past. No doubt the LT is a good bike - but it is also time for it to be updated. A 6 cyl one would be very interesting and I suspect BMW is going to have to bring it a bit closer to a Gold Wing to get an increase LT sales without going all the way to "car on 2 wheels".
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 8th, 2010, 10:50 am Thread Starter
jrh

All of the above responses are valid, however, it seems we are all looking for a touring bike that is light, responsive (power to weight ratio etc) and it seems the RT would to the job.
After market windshields are adequate, seats are ok,and the twin seems like a motorcycle. I wonder why, with all the geniuses we have had (Hannigan, Vetter etc) that none have re-designed the bike from the front seat to the tail light, since BMW refuses. They did that to the R1200C but they didn't have a bike close to the R1200RT to begin with. Just my thoughts.
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 12th, 2010, 2:03 pm

Hi!

I would take a test ride on an RT. I like the RT when solodriving and in the city but LT is made for two actually...

Good luck!

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 12th, 2010, 4:44 pm

RT works as a 2up for shorter distances.. but more than 300 a day- its all LT baby..

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in