12,000 Mile Service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

12,000 Mile Service

I know it's pricey, what exactly gets done.........?

2006 K1200LT, sold
2007 HD Ultra, sold
2004 R1150RT, sold
1993 HD Fatboy, long gone
1983 Yamaha Virago, ancient history
& too many dirt bikes to list.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 2:19 pm

Re: 12,000 Mile Service

Everything on the list below:

(12,000 miles)
BMW
Annual Service
Read out the fault memory with the BMW MoDiTeC unit
Check throttle cable play, adjust if necessary
Change engine oil while at operating temperature
If the motorcycle is ridden only for short distances or at outside temperatures below 0C (32 F), this work must be
done every 3 months or at least every 3,000 km (1,800 miles) *)
Change oil in gearbox while at operating temperature
at least every 2 years *) every
2 years
Change oil in rear wheel drive while at operating temperature
at least every 2 years *) every
2 years
Examine brake pads and discs for wear, replace if necessary *)
Check the front/rear brake fluid level
Check operation of brake system and freedom from leaks; repair/replace items if necessary *)
Replace the brake fluid at least once a year
Check clutch operating fluid level
Change clutch fluid
every 40,000 km (24,000 miles) or at least every 2 years *) 40,000
every
2 years
Replace fuel filter *)
generally every 40,000 km (24,000 miles), if the fuel is of poor quality, every 20,000 km (12,000 miles)
Check and top up, where necessary, coolant level and concentration
Replace the coolant at least every 2 years*) every
2 years
Check battery acid level, if necessary add distilled water
Clean/grease battery terminals if necessary
Replace intake air cleaner element
If severe dirt and dust are encountered, replace the intake air cleaner every 10,000 km (6,000 miles) or even more
frequently *)
Check function of side stand contact switch
Grease side stand bearing, check that the centre stand moves freely, and grease it if
necessary *)
Check the steering damper
Check tightness of rear wheel studs
Check rear wheel bearing play by rocking wheel
Check swinging arm bearings (free of play), adjust if necessary *)
Clean the inductive sensor on the rear wheel
every 40,000 km (24,000 miles) or at least every 2 years *) 40,000
every
2 years
Check valve clearances, adjust if necessary
Replace the lining of the chain tensioning rail and chain guide rail every 60,000 km
(36,000 miles)*) 60,000
Replace spark plugs

May you be in Heaven half an hour before the Devil knows your dead
post #3 of 30 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 2:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks!!

Wow, a lot of checking, but a lot of work too!!

Has anyone done work at BMW of Hollywood (California), or Ventura County BMW? If so, which would you prefer?

2006 K1200LT, sold
2007 HD Ultra, sold
2004 R1150RT, sold

Last edited by cadent50; Jan 2nd, 2010 at 2:29 pm.

post #4 of 30 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadent50
Thanks!!

Has anyone done work at BMW of Hollywood (California), or Ventura County BMW? If so, which would you prefer?

okay, I'll be the first to say it. Learn to do it yourself and save a bunch of $ and spend quality time with your bike. The first time I did mine it took me six hours. The second time it took me the same amount of time, but I was explaining every step to my 15 year old daughter.

If you can't do it yourself, find or host a tech session in your area.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 9:44 pm

After the initial shell shock of the service fees, I emailed my Christmas list to the North Pole real early! Low and behold, Santa dropped down the chimney and put a Clymer Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair manual under the tree for me this year! Defaoite's list below is Table 1 of Chapter 3 on page 76!

At first, its overwhelming if you are timid about your first tupperware party and peering into the hidden metal underneath, but I'm convinced it'll pay itself off after the first oil change! Of course, it doesn't include the list of excuses ya gotta tell the frau why you have to buy all the new tools! If anyone has a list of recommended tools and order of priority in which to give excuses to buy them, please share!

Living-Free is right about the time, but then again, you don't want to rush the process and have an extra hex bolt lying around!

You can find the book on Amazon between $40-50.

Cheers and Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #6 of 30 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Quote:
Thanks!!

A dealer in Ventura quoted me $1700.00 for a 12K and one rear tire. That included a coolant change. I am not familiar with the Hollywood store. I did it myself for $250.00. I just did my brakes for $27.00. This is a bike you want to do your own service on if possible or be prepared to pay. The guys here are a great help.
post #7 of 30 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, I called the Ventura County dealer today and they wanted $970, just for the 12k service. I was floored! I thought HD dealers were expensive!!

2006 K1200LT, sold
2007 HD Ultra, sold
2004 R1150RT, sold
post #8 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:16 am
Super Moderator

Bought a 2002 LT in 2003 - dealer did the 600 mile check up and then they closed up shop. 50,000 miles on the bike and with this site, its prolific members,
the awesome information and a desire on my part to save money and do it myself no dealer has ever seen my bike.
There are many others here who have similar experiences.

I believe my bike has less problems than most who go to dealers - just my experience.

So read, post and ask . . . its what makes this particular community sort of special.

On the other hand if you have sufficient wealth, better things to do with your time and do not desire to get into the zen of this maintaining this machine then
its off to the dealer, relationship and trust building and of course trouble free riding?

You may in fact substitute the relationships you build there in lieu of the ones you build here . . .

Your choice - good luck!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #9 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 8:07 am

With limited ability (me) and this amazing site, you can do a lot of the service yourself.. Key is to start slowly, make sure that you understand all of the steps required and have the correct tools. There is a lot of personal help too, if you just ask.

Taking off the plastic is a good first step and the hardest part, for me is removing the mirrors. Changing the three main fluids is not hard at all and just takes a little time, kitty litter, old newspapers and simple instructions. A local tech party is a great place to learn.

For the tasks that you are unsure of or wish the shop to do, removing all of the plastic for them ahead of time does two things; Gets you under her skirt and familiar with the hidden parts and saves the shop time busy work. My local shop is quite agreeable to this and it cuts about 1-2 hours off of the service ticket.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 11:08 am

Quote:
Yeah, I called the Ventura County dealer today and they wanted $970, just for the 12k service. I was floored! I thought HD dealers were expensive!!
Get this kit for $153.00 and filter wrench $20.00. You will also need a 18MM allen wrench for the trans plug (Pep boys). The kit has everything you need for the 12K including synthetic oil for all 3 holes. BTW, I changed my air filter but the old one looked brand new. If you want to leave the air and fuel filter for another time, the service is quite easy as you don't have to remove so much plastic.

http://beemerboneyard.com/k1200ltsupmaintkits.html

http://beemerboneyard.com/kr1200ofwr.html
post #11 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:19 pm

No matter what your decision is, doing it yourself or taking it to the dealer, I would strongly advise staying away from the Hollywood dealership based on an extremely negative and costly experience.
On a semi-regular basis I hold a tech session at my house (I have a lift), so feel free to join in.

Is this the very first 12k service on your bike?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
Get this kit for $153.00 and filter wrench $20.00. You will also need a 18MM allen wrench for the trans plug (Pep boys). The kit has everything you need for the 12K including synthetic oil for all 3 holes. BTW, I changed my air filter but the old one looked brand new. If you want to leave the air and fuel filter for another time, the service is quite easy as you don't have to remove so much plastic.

http://beemerboneyard.com/k1200ltsupmaintkits.html

http://beemerboneyard.com/kr1200ofwr.html
Tony, I believe the allen wrench is a 14 mm...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #13 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:51 pm

Yep 14mm and can be quite hard to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #14 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Quote:
You are correct, 14MM. It was 18MM socket on the plugs I believe. At first I couldn't find a 14MM Allen, now I have 2 different types. Don't rule out your local mom & pop hardware store.
post #15 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Here in Fort Walton Beach Fl,there is a owner of a motorcycle shop(not a bmw dealer) that was a bmw mechanic for fourteen years for a bmw dealer,but decided to open his own shop,he said he would do the complete 12,000 mile sevice for $550.00. I am sure thinking about letting him,because BMW of Alanta is where I purchased the bike new and would have travel expense on top of the service if done in Atlanta.Any thoughts on other than a dealer doing the services?
post #16 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 6:31 pm

Garage

+1 for Dan, Dano & Gilles. You could do worse than getting your hands, elbows and forehead dirty completing your own maintainance on the beast. I was in the same boat, but after a little more than 2 years of owning Barbara, she has been through every maintainance items with the exception of changing the valve buckets. This is to include replacing the clutch and gearbox, MY SELF!
This site, the generous members therein will direct you and guide you through any problems. Save money, get to know the bike and have the piece of mind that it was done right... Besides, you have Gilles offering up a tech session....Go learn, and drink up the intellect of like minded individuals. You will not find a better group of guys and girls anywhere...

oh, HF will have the 14MM cheap!~

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #17 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 6:35 pm

If you can't 'find' a 14mm wrench at your local stores, go to an "industrial bearing" supply house. They will have it for less than $5 usually.

Take it home, saw it into 2 inch chunks and share with your friends.
post #18 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 6:38 pm

I got 73 hits from "www.anywho.com" when I searched on "bearings" in the L.A. area.
post #19 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
No matter what your decision is, doing it yourself or taking it to the dealer, I would strongly advise staying away from the Hollywood dealership based on an extremely negative and costly experience.
On a semi-regular basis I hold a tech session at my house (I have a lift), so feel free to join in.

Is this the very first 12k service on your bike?
Yes, this is my first 12k service. I bought the bike used in July with 9,500 miles.

Time is an issue for me, working six days a week, most weeks, I dont mind paying a reasonable amount, but neither BMW dealer offered a reasonable amount. From what I hear the Ventura county dealer is more reliable, but also more expensive. The funny thing is that I am in the car business, working for a BMW car franchise, so I know how BMW can overcharge, but both of these guys are ridiculous. I have the ability to do it, but not the time or desire. There is a local shop that I trust and works on mostly HDs, I took them my old Ultra, and I called them today. I totally trust them, and yes they have worked on BMW bikes. They said they would do it for $350, so for that kind of scratch it really isnt worth it for me to do the work. I would rather spend my free time riding this fantastic machine.

2006 K1200LT, sold
2007 HD Ultra, sold
2004 R1150RT, sold
post #20 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2010, 11:56 pm

If you have the scratch, please, have your bike serviced at the dealer every 3000 miles.....

don't forget to have them "flush and reset" the ABS system... true... it MUST be done at LEAST every year....

And, do business where you plan to buy your next bike... it makes things a lot more fun.

Oh, meet the mechanic, "tip" him/her well.... remember the name and schedule your bike around their availability...

Good luck!
post #21 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 8:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyMan
Here in Fort Walton Beach Fl,there is a owner of a motorcycle shop(not a bmw dealer) that was a bmw mechanic for fourteen years for a bmw dealer,but decided to open his own shop,he said he would do the complete 12,000 mile sevice for $550.00. I am sure thinking about letting him,because BMW of Alanta is where I purchased the bike new and would have travel expense on top of the service if done in Atlanta.Any thoughts on other than a dealer doing the services?
Where is this Shop? I'm in FWB and would like to know who has experience for future needs.
post #22 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 10:47 am

Lightbulb Re: 12,000 Mile Service

Quote:
There is a local shop that I trust and works on mostly HDs, I took them my old Ultra, and I called them today. I totally trust them, and yes they have worked on BMW bikes. They said they would do it for $350
The shop said they work on BMWs, but are they experienced with the LT? Your bike is a different beast because much of the Tupperware has to come off for any maintenance, hence the high cost of labor. The last thing you want is to find out later that some screws are missing or cross-threaded, or that you have a fuel leak.
I understand that your (riding) time is valuable, yet I still suggest that you learn to work on your bike (with friends guiding and advising) as it is the best way to truly understand and appreciate the LT.
If you can wait until the weekend of Jan 16-17 you are invited to have your maintenance at my place. Just get the fluids and oil filter you'll be on your way to be intimate with your LT.
At 12k miles there is not much to do... yet.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #23 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Quote:
The shop said they work on BMWs, but are they experienced with the LT? Your bike is a different beast because much of the Tupperware has to come off for any maintenance, hence the high cost of labor. The last thing you want is to find out later that some screws are missing or cross-threaded, or that you have a fuel leak.
I understand that your (riding) time is valuable, yet I still suggest that you learn to work on your bike (with friends guiding and advising) as it is the best way to truly understand and appreciate the LT.
If you can wait until the weekend of Jan 16-17 you are invited to have your maintenance at my place. Just get the fluids and oil filter you'll be on your way to be intimate with your LT.
At 12k miles there is not much to do... yet.
yeah.. and "riding" aint all there is to being a "motorcyclist"...
post #24 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Yep 14mm and can be quite hard to come by.
Here in the U.S. the easiest place I found the the 14mm socket was Advance Auto Parts. I had to buy a 3 pack of large allen sockets though, but it was still LESS than the price I managed to find at a few other places for just the 14mm alone.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #25 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Racetrack Powersports......102-A Racetrack Rd 850-226-8599.......Heading west on racetrack from eglin parkway its on the right about a block before you get to the fire station.
post #26 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Garage

Harbor Freight....$14.99

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #27 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 10:54 pm
Mister Moto

I 've done everything on the 12K list except the valve clearance check, how much trouble is that?

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

post #28 of 30 Old Jan 8th, 2010, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-daug
I 've done everything on the 12K list except the valve clearance check, how much trouble is that?
It's easy, just follow this http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...ves/index.html . It's for the K1200RS but the process is the same for the K1200LT.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #29 of 30 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 8:21 am

Cadent50 - One of the inmates on this site, Paul Sayegh, sells a DVD that shows how to perform the basic service on a K1200LT. The DVD is well made and I found it exceptionally helpful in learning how to doe the routine service on my bike.

http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/service-video.htm

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #30 of 30 Old Jan 9th, 2010, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
Cadent50 - One of the inmates on this site, Paul Sayegh, sells a DVD that shows how to perform the basic service on a K1200LT. The DVD is well made and I found it exceptionally helpful in learning how to doe the routine service on my bike.

http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/service-video.htm
+1

I bought all four for the LT, and they paid for themselves in the first 12K service, and then some. I have since purchased the Clymer, which is also recommended.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in