Slave cylinder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 12:22 pm Thread Starter

Slave cylinder

I finally got as far as removing the gear box last night and I confirmed what I suspected, engine oil not clutch fluid had contaminated the clutch. I still plan to do the weep hole mode but I had a question about the slave cylinder. Even though it was dry (no presence of DOT4 fluids) I can see .some white powder residue on the top and bottom of the slave cylinder bore (housing) as you can see from the pictures. I was wondering what that is? It has a foul smell like cow manure, if that helps . Also, on the last picture you can see some rust at the bottom of the piston that resides inside the slave cylinder. Do I have to replace the whole slave cylinder just because of that (since there is no rebuild kit, I hear) or just clean the rust as much as I can?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Replacement 037.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	25811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Replacement 038.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	25812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Replacement 053.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	959.5 KB
ID:	25813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Replacement 054.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	822.1 KB
ID:	25814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Replacement 051.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	25815  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 1:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Slave cylinder

I was going to say that slave cylinder just doesn't look right but then I realized you took it apart. I would check the bearing for smoothness with the clutch rod and replace the whole slave if it is rough (it turns all the time the engine is running). If it is smooth then apply some good grease and re-use it. But keep an eye on the weephole. I don't think the white powder is an issue, just something that seeped in through the gasket from outside the cylinder.

My clutch had engine oil as well but no where near the amount in your case.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I was going to say that slave cylinder just doesn't look right but then I realized you took it apart. I would check the bearing for smoothness with the clutch rod and replace the whole slave if it is rough (it turns all the time the engine is running). If it is smooth then apply some good grease and re-use it. But keep an eye on the weephole. I don't think the white powder is an issue, just something that seeped in through the gasket from outside the cylinder.

My clutch had engine oil as well but no where near the amount in your case.

Hi John,

thanks for your input. I checked for smoothness and it sems fine except that I noticed some lateral play, about 3 degrees on the bearing. From what I read on other posts so far, it is suggested that the slave cylinder should be replaced as a preemptive measure after 60K miles so I might as well go for it since I'm at 66K already. Besides, I don't want to go through this nightmare again .

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 9:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

A little lateral play is OK but at 66K I would feel better with a new one. They have changed the design a little since 04. Not sure if it is an improvement but mine was fine after 30K (they changed it out at 18K during an unrelated warranty service requiring swing arm removal).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in