She Saved Me Big Time - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

She Saved Me Big Time

This summer I was riding some twisties in NC in the mountains. I was on a road I had never travelled before. The curves we're all new to me. I entered a hard right hander following my high flying buddy, Tim, on his K1100RS. I was too hot and well into a very tight turn and now aggressively scraping my right side center stand.
Since the curve was blind, I had no idea what might be coming the other way, so I just kept leaning and leaning until all of a sudden the bike and I were on our side sliding across the road.
It happened so smoothly and effortlessly there was almost no noticeable transition from being on the tires to being on the side. I watched the whole thing as if in slow motion. When the slide stopped I was across the road more or less on the shoulder of the other side. Luckily, no one had been coming from the other direction.
I got off the bike and managed somehow to get her back up from the right side and get back on, get her started again and back on the road. The whole event took no more than a few minutes.
I met my buddy coming back to look for me. A bit later down the road I pulled over in a parking lot and explained to Tim what had happened. At first he didn't believe it, because he could see no visible damage from the left side where he was standing. I invited him around to the right side and remarkably the only damage to me or the bike was the black plastic over the protective guard rail had been scraped clean through and the lower faring was badly scraped. Later I noticed that my leather pants had scuff marks on them, but that's all. No damage to the bags or the handle bars or the mirrors at all. Not a scratch. I felt like the big lady had saved me from really getting hurt.
Interestingly, I did not feel at all shaken by the experience. Maybe I'm just too dumb. Or, maybe the whole thing was so weirdly gentle that there was nothing particularly alarming about it. I don't know. I know I was very lucky.
Kept riding the rest of the day but was a bit more careful in those right turns.
I love this bike.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Re: She Saved Me Big Time

Had much the same experience when my big girl went down other then I hit the curb on the other side and drove the bike about 10-20 feet at a 90 degree angle before she finally went down. Unlike you the bike went flat and suffered more damage but during the whole time I was all the way over with the wheels touching or maybe off ground it was very smooth.

I am glad your OK. I suffered a should injury that still 2 years later causes me issues but I stayed with the bike and it did a great job of protecting me.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Time for new...
- plastic trim
- shocks
- underwear

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 31st, 2009, 1:23 am

Yes the BMW engineers did a great job on the LT safety cage. Makes you wonder why the GoldWing offers an airbag.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 31st, 2009, 10:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Time for new...
- plastic trim
- shocks
- underwear
LOL. I'm having the shocks (Ohlins) rebuilt this winter. I already replaced the black gaurd on the crash bar part and bought a used belly pan for the right side.
As for the underwear, it wasn't damaged.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #6 of 10 Old Dec 31st, 2009, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
Had much the same experience when my big girl went down other then I hit the curb on the other side and drove the bike about 10-20 feet at a 90 degree angle before she finally went down. Unlike you the bike went flat and suffered more damage but during the whole time I was all the way over with the wheels touching or maybe off ground it was very smooth.

I am glad your OK. I suffered a should injury that still 2 years later causes me issues but I stayed with the bike and it did a great job of protecting me.
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I hope it heals.
My leather jacket (as well as my leather pants) had some scrapes along the shoulder but I didn't feel a thing. Yes, she did a great job of protecting me and I am very grateful for that.
You know, I'm not sure this would have happened if it had been a hard left turn. In those I mostly only scrape the sidestand. It was the center stand on the right side that pushed me off the wheels eventually.

Greg

post #7 of 10 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 12:38 pm

Thumbs up Re: She Saved Me Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
I already bought a used belly pan for the right side.
Glad traffic was in your favor. Right hand turns require more respect due to cross-over potential. +1 on the rebuild as my Ohlins maintain a safer altitude durring aggressive turning.

Dumped my 02 once on each side so far (prior to Ohlins). I left the belly pan scratches as a reminder.

When I was shopping for an LT (ended up purchasing new) I was told that "If the pegs are scraped, bikes been ridden aggressively, if the fairing is scraped bikes been raced".

Race on and Happy New Year

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #8 of 10 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 8:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Glad traffic was in your favor. Right hand turns require more respect due to cross-over potential. +1 on the rebuild as my Ohlins maintain a safer altitude durring aggressive turning.

Dumped my 02 once on each side so far (prior to Ohlins). I left the belly pan scratches as a reminder.

When I was shopping for an LT (ended up purchasing new) I was told that "If the pegs are scraped, bikes been ridden aggressively, if the fairing is scraped bikes been raced".

Race on and Happy New Year
Oops. Mine has pegs, sidestand, belly pan, and center stand scraped. Maybe I need a different bike.

Greg

post #9 of 10 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
Yes the BMW engineers did a great job on the LT safety cage. Makes you wonder why the GoldWing offers an airbag.
I don't think mine came with a safety cage.......maybe I should go out to the garage and look......nah, too cold.
If my LT had an aribag, I might not have broke my clavicle when that SUV hit me last year. (08)

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 7:01 pm

Exclamation Re: She Saved Me Big Time

This summer, we were in Colorado for the 5th time, we were on route 74 from Morisson to Kittrege a very (I mean very very) twisty bit of road, my wife and I with all bags stuffed full plus a big bag on top of the topcase, wife and I around 190. The centerstand did scrape (even if I removed almost all the little rubber bumper under). The suspension was fully jacked, was running brand new Metzellers and if you look at the pics you'll see there was not much more room for leaning!
The rest of the week was much more relaxed as I was a bit sore in the ribs from the SO banging on them .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	colo09 (25).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	25821   Click image for larger version

Name:	colo09 (26).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	25822  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in