Scissor Jack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Scissor Jack

Can anyone please tell me where to buy a scissor jack like the one in the picture?
Preferably from a brick and mortar store, not online, so I don't waste time waiting for delivery.

Thanks,

Eno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	25759  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 9:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Scissor Jack

Well , it is a brick and mortar store, but it is a long drive for you .I got a few things from them this year , they do ship fast . http://www.mile-x.com/ the lift you are looking for is this one ...I think... http://www.mile-x.com/handy-13008-scissor-jack.aspx . I bought one of these from them http://www.mile-x.com/handy-16999-scissor-jack.aspx . I needed to lift my gear box up , and hold it in place to reinstall it . I also got a Sam 1,000 lift from them http://www.mile-x.com/handy-16000-motorcycle-lift.aspx , it really helped replacing my clutch . Hope this is of help.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuchero
Can anyone please tell me where to buy a scissor jack like the one in the picture?
Preferably from a brick and mortar store, not online, so I don't waste time waiting for delivery.

Thanks,

Eno
That one or one like it is available from any bike lift manufacturer .. that one is from Handy Corp. I believe.
For a store, I believe Harbor Freight should have it.. as they sell a couple bike lifts as well.

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Sears has a Direct Lift Black Jack 1000 motorcycle scissor lift. $102.99

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had no idea this type of jack cost that much! $180 for the Handy one and $100 for the Sears one. I buy all my tools at Harbor Freight but I'm not able to find something similar from their web site. I think I'll just use the hydraulic car jack with a thick metal plate on top of it and some additional wood beams in order to lift back of the bike. I hate to spend more than I have to.

Thanks,

Eno
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Garage

Not quite the same but for $8...
Craigslist

Home Depot

Grainger

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Not quite the same but for $8...
Craigslist

Home Depot

Grainger

Hi there,

I do have one of those that came with my Jeep but this type of jack has a small contact area compared to the Handy brand. That's why I'm thinking to use a thick metal sheet on top of it to disperse the load.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 12:28 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuchero
Hi there,

I do have one of those that came with my Jeep but this type of jack has a small contact area compared to the Handy brand. That's why I'm thinking to use a thick metal sheet on top of it to disperse the load.
If your lifting her a$$ end up, then you will most likely use a 4x4, Which will accomplish the same thing. Just make sure you have the front end tied off good to prevent a fall....If you are useing a lift, I used the garage rafters to hold the tail, while I lowered the lift, thus accomplishing the same task..

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 5:57 am

The small 2-ton hydraulic jack I bought at Harbor Freight works great and it only cost around $35. I can't imagine why a scissor jack would cost so much.

Jim

'03 K1200LT
Garland, TX (Dallas area)
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 8:22 pm

In the past I have used one a HandyLift Scissor jack (borrowed) and they work every well. However, like others I struggled to justify the cost. I tried other methods, but the stability simply was not there. Soooooooo......

I went to Northern Tool and bought one of their smallest floor jacks and then secured a 23" length of 4x6 to the jack by using a 3" long by 1/2" diameter bolt. There was already a hole in the jack and it fit perfectly once the hole was drilled in the 4x6. I also reinforced the bottom side of the 4x6 with a 3"x3" sheet of 1/4" plate steel for stability. (see underside in photos). I used it recently to change the tranny in Tony's LT and it worked like a champ! Total cost: Less than $25.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Lift 001.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	25768   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Lift 006.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	25769   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Lift 005.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	25770   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Lift 002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	25771  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 7:49 am

+1 on Pastorjack's idea. I used a small Sears floor jack and let the bike sit on a 2X6 on top of some jack stands. I use the small floor jack on all my vehicles. It is very handy and used more than any jack I've ever had........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 8:16 am

Talking Re: Scissor Jack

.....and you still have unlimited use of my Handylift and its scissor jack so you can do 2 tranny jobs side by side just like dueling banjos....!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
In the past I have used one a HandyLift Scissor jack (borrowed) and they work every well. However, like others I struggled to justify the cost. I tried other methods, but the stability simply was not there. Soooooooo......

I went to Northern Tool and bought one of their smallest floor jacks and then secured a 23" length of 4x6 to the jack by using a 3" long by 1/2" diameter bolt. There was already a hole in the jack and it fit perfectly once the hole was drilled in the 4x6. I also reinforced the bottom side of the 4x6 with a 3"x3" sheet of 1/4" plate steel for stability. (see underside in photos). I used it recently to change the tranny in Tony's LT and it worked like a champ! Total cost: Less than $25.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in