State Safety Inspection - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 10:50 am Thread Starter

State Safety Inspection

Yesterday was "pay up sukka" day.

License Plate renewal

State Safety Inspection

So, when I got to the Inspection station, and drove bike into the bay he commented... "that is the QUIETEST bike I've ever inspected!!!" We had a nice visit about early days of riding, etc... since we are both of the 60's generation... we discussed the Honda 750's, etc...

Our discussion was interrupted about 5 times as "Noisy Davidsons" drove by.. over 200 feet from us..

Thankfully everything worked on the bike.... I was wondering if he would take it apart to see what made it so quiet!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 11:44 am

Re: State Safety Inspection

I like it!...........

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #3 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 11:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

No inspection for cages or bikes in Ohio!

Some counties do require a sniff test & code download for air quality. Bikes are exempt.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 1:32 pm

$37 per year for tabs here in Washington. No emissions inspections, safety inspections etc.. Not even any insurance requirements for motorcycles.

BTW I would GLADLY pay an annual inspection fee if they would refuse to license the V Twins with no baffles and impound them if they got caught riding 'em without baffles.

Oh, you do have to replace the plate every 7 years. I guess the numbers wear out??? Asked a Stater why and he told me it's because the reflective qualities of the plate diminish over time. Noticed he wasn't looking me in the eye when he dribbled forth this bit of information!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 1:46 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Yearly Tags.

Yearly Inspection on Bike.
Yearly Inspection and Emissions on the Car

Minimal Insurance needed on all vehicles.

Dont splain why I have to carry Uninsured Motorist Insurance on both, in a "no fault" State.

Used to be worse, we had Inspection on cars every 6 months!

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

...thankfully no "exhaustoscopy" in Tejas... for bikes...yet... just the typical lights/horn/turn signals, brake lights...
post #7 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 3:20 pm

Lee,

You don't, by law, have to carry Uninsured/Underinsured coverage in PA. I refused it on my bike's policy.

The only insurance required in any state I'm aware of is liability to protect others from damaged caused by you. If you have a lien, the lienholder normally requires collision coverage to protect their investment, but that is company policy, not law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Yearly Tags.

Yearly Inspection on Bike.
Yearly Inspection and Emissions on the Car

Minimal Insurance needed on all vehicles.

Dont splain why I have to carry Uninsured Motorist Insurance on both, in a "no fault" State.

Used to be worse, we had Inspection on cars every 6 months!

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #8 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 4:41 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper
Lee,

You don't, by law, have to carry Uninsured/Underinsured coverage in PA. I refused it on my bike's policy.

The only insurance required in any state I'm aware of is liability to protect others from damaged caused by you. If you have a lien, the lienholder normally requires collision coverage to protect their investment, but that is company policy, not law.
You are correct and I should have been clearer in my statement.

I choose to carry it. When my agent first asked me about it many years ago I thought hmmm why do I need this. I am in a no fault State and EVERYONE needs insurance to drive, inspect, a car.

At that time I was working in a Feed Mill near Gettysburg. Well I have to say Adams County must have more migrant workers then you can shake a stick at. Orchard Country here in PA. I was convinced.

That is why I carry the coverage. There is a large population that drive with no regards to the rules and regulations. Not only migrant workers.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

'round these here parts you won't know if you have been hit by "insured" or "uninsured" until after the bills come due... usually "they" buy coverage then cancel once they get the paper...
post #10 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
You are correct and I should have been clearer in my statement.

I choose to carry it. When my agent first asked me about it many years ago I thought hmmm why do I need this. I am in a no fault State and EVERYONE needs insurance to drive, inspect, a car.

At that time I was working in a Feed Mill near Gettysburg. Well I have to say Adams County must have more migrant workers then you can shake a stick at. Orchard Country here in PA. I was convinced.

That is why I carry the coverage. There is a large population that drive with no regards to the rules and regulations. Not only migrant workers.
Your concerns are well-founded. I can attest to the fact that there are always a number of uninsured motorists on the road, mostly from those populations that have the least to lose.

On top of this, in our current economic environment, the number of uninsured motorists will almost certainly rise as fewer people are able to afford their premiums.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #11 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 9:31 pm

I agree with wa1200lt's comment. I'd also be more than willing to pay an annual inspection fee.
post #12 of 16 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 12:35 am

My sincere advice is to pay the price for UM coverage. Yes, you're paying for somebody else's insurance but if they hit you and they don't have coverage, your outta luck. It's worth the price. Yes, you can argue that all insurance is a rip off but it really makes sense. Ask anyone whose ever been in an accident and had insurance to cover the bills. I've spent my entire professional life dealing with insurance matters and accidents so my view is colored by my personal experience.
post #13 of 16 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 8:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebill
My sincere advice is to pay the price for UM coverage. Yes, you're paying for somebody else's insurance but if they hit you and they don't have coverage, your outta luck. It's worth the price. Yes, you can argue that all insurance is a rip off but it really makes sense. Ask anyone whose ever been in an accident and had insurance to cover the bills. I've spent my entire professional life dealing with insurance matters and accidents so my view is colored by my personal experience.

Here in New Hampshire, insurance is not required, so uninsured motorist is a very good idea.

Last year my stepson was in an accident. He did not have insurance and was at fault. We have always had insurance and tried to tell him he should have it, but at 19, you really couldn't tell him anything. He hit two other cars, causing a total of $14k of damage, and totaling his own vehicle. By law he is responsible to cover it. The state pulled his license until he pays it. He now wishes he would have listened to us. The other two drivers had uninsured motorist coverage, had they not, they would be out the cost of the damage since he does not have any coverage.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #14 of 16 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebill
Don't forget UNDER insured motorist insurance. Had a guy at work get hit by someone with just the bare minimum insurance, his medical bills far exceeded the coverage that guy had. Top it off that he didn't have a job or any property to take.
post #15 of 16 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 10:42 am

Tony, What a tragedy for your stepson. $14,000 must seem like an insurmountable sum to him at this time in his life. Thank God he didn't cause serious bodily injury to one or more of the auto occupants. If it is appropriate you might try to think of a way to pass on the following information. My wife was feeling severe abdominal pain in December last year so off to the ED we went. 5 hrs later they whacked out her gall bladder. She spent one night in the hospital, the surgery lasted about one hour and the bill BEFORE the surgeon and the gas passer was $22,000! A traumatic vehicle injury requiring a couple days in intensive care, a week in the hospital and therapy would likely exceed $250,000. This would truly be an insurmountable amount of money for most of us working stiffs to earn in order to make the injured party whole JUST FOR THE HOSPITAL STAY! Add in lost wages, pain and suffering, lawyers fees etc.and there would never be a light at the end of the tunnel.

BTW, I opted for the least expensive healthcare plan at the hospital where I work. The monthly premium is $34. $17 per pay period. We were out of pocket $1600. Less than 3 overtime shifts at the hospital and I could have earned the $1600 if I hadn't already had the money.

Obviously we insure everything we own. If you can't afford to insure it you can't afford to drive it.

The squidders from Oregon cross the river into Washing to do their 100 mph plus passes on our highways. Why? Because of they get pulled over for reckless driving they get a ticket. In Oregon they also cite them for now insurance,($1000), impound their bikes, pull their drivers license and force them to provide SR22 filings for 5 years after they finally get their licenses back. Sad but true.

Loren

i
Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free
Here in New Hampshire, insurance is not required, so uninsured motorist is a very good idea.

Last year my stepson was in an accident. He did not have insurance and was at fault. We have always had insurance and tried to tell him he should have it, but at 19, you really couldn't tell him anything. He hit two other cars, causing a total of $14k of damage, and totaling his own vehicle. By law he is responsible to cover it. The state pulled his license until he pays it. He now wishes he would have listened to us. The other two drivers had uninsured motorist coverage, had they not, they would be out the cost of the damage since he does not have any coverage.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Last edited by wa1200lt; Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:49 am.
post #16 of 16 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 11:27 am

I guess I should have included that luckily no one was injured in the accident.

He will be required to file and SR-22 when he finaly gets his license back, and his premiums will be extremely high.

And yes, $14,000 might as well be $14 million to him at this stage of his life.

I agree that if you can't afford insurance for it, you shouldn't have it. We have insurance on everything, something I have always done, and tried to teach my children. But sometimes they have to learn lifes lessons on their own. This is a very tough one for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Tony, What a tragedy for your stepson. $14,000 must seem like an insurmountable sum to him at this time in his life. Thank God he didn't cause serious bodily injury to one or more of the auto occupants. If it is appropriate you might try to think of a way to pass on the following information. My wife was feeling severe abdominal pain in December last year so off to the ED we went. 5 hrs later they whacked out her gall bladder. She spent one night in the hospital, the surgery lasted about one hour and the bill BEFORE the surgeon and the gas passer was $22,000! A traumatic vehicle injury requiring a couple days in intensive care, a week in the hospital and therapy would likely exceed $250,000. This would truly be an insurmountable amount of money for most of us working stiffs to earn in order to make the injured party whole JUST FOR THE HOSPITAL STAY! Add in lost wages, pain and suffering, lawyers fees etc.and there would never be a light at the end of the tunnel.

BTW, I opted for the least expensive healthcare plan at the hospital where I work. The monthly premium is $34. $17 per pay period. We were out of pocket $1600. Less than 3 overtime shifts at the hospital and I could have earned the $1600 if I hadn't already had the money.

Obviously we insure everything we own. If you can't afford to insure it you can't afford to drive it.

The squidders from Oregon cross the river into Washing to do their 100 mph plus passes on our highways. Why? Because of they get pulled over for reckless driving they get a ticket. In Oregon they also cite them for now insurance,($1000), impound their bikes, pull their drivers license and force them to provide SR22 filings for 5 years after they finally get their licenses back. Sad but true.

Loren

i

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in