Fire! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 27th, 2009, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Fire!

OK, maybe I shouldn't shout that so loud. I mean it's no0t like we're in a crowded movie theater. I saddled up in the 32 degree Cleveland weather, presumably to go over and break things off with my gal as things have been not going so well lately. I was taking a shortcut thru the Metroparks and caught a wiff of something burning. I had just installed a new battery a few days previous, and thought my wiring harness was somehow going south. I pulled over, had a good amount of smoke rising up from under the seat. long story short, it wasn't the wiring but the rubber boot on the final drive. It was in flames on the backside between the FD and the wheel.

I blew the flames out and let it sit for a bit. I put it up on the centerstand and spun the wheel freely. I then started it up and put it in first gear on the centerstand, all seemed normal. Touching the FD it seemed warm to the touch like normal. It was not hot. I was gonna call for a tow but realized in my haste to leave the house, that I had forgotten my phone. So I opted to cautiously try and drive it home (about 6 miles) it was then I realized that I had no rear brake...all lever - no stoppee. The front brake still functions fine. I made it home with no issues.

If I had to guess, and I will go outside shortly and try to confirm this, I would say that the rear inside brake shoe might be bad, or the caliper. I did notice, while I had my face down by the FD that the outside brake shoe had pleanty of material left on it. I didn't think to check the inner shoe. I'm wondering if the caliper is froze up, taking the inner pad down to nothing, which might have made some sparks and caught some grease on the boot afire. Although there was never any indication as to the brake being gone. No grinding or shuddering, so this is just a guess at the moment.

Or maybe it's the universe telling me to give my girl another another shot at happiness!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 27th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Re: Fire!

With your brakes gone out, I'd suspect that the problem was brakes alone.
Amazing if the heat of a rubbing brake pad and rotor caused the rubber boot of the FD to catch fire.
It may be that the only problem with the final drive is the rubber boot.
I'm betting you're going to need a new brake rotor and caliper or at least a caliper rebuild.
Let us know what you find....

Addendum: you noted some play at the rear wheel. This is probably due to looseness at the pivot bearings. I'd suggest checking that first.
I have not heard of a case where the final drive itself resulted in looseness of the wheel unless they had already been catastrophic crown wheel bearing failure (i.e. oil coming out the fd bearing seal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun
OK, maybe I shouldn't shout that so loud. I mean it's no0t like we're in a crowded movie theater. I saddled up in the 32 degree Cleveland weather, presumably to go over and break things off with my gal as things have been not going so well lately. I was taking a shortcut thru the Metroparks and caught a wiff of something burning. I had just installed a new battery a few days previous, and thought my wiring harness was somehow going south. I pulled over, had a good amount of smoke rising up from under the seat. long story short, it wasn't the wiring but the rubber boot on the final drive. It was in flames on the backside between the FD and the wheel.

I blew the flames out and let it sit for a bit. I put it up on the centerstand and spun the wheel freely. I then started it up and put it in first gear on the centerstand, all seemed normal. Touching the FD it seemed warm to the touch like normal. It was not hot. I was gonna call for a tow but realized in my haste to leave the house, that I had forgotten my phone. So I opted to cautiously try and drive it home (about 6 miles) it was then I realized that I had no rear brake...all lever - no stoppee. The front brake still functions fine. I made it home with no issues.

If I had to guess, and I will go outside shortly and try to confirm this, I would say that the rear inside brake shoe might be bad, or the caliper. I did notice, while I had my face down by the FD that the outside brake shoe had pleanty of material left on it. I didn't think to check the inner shoe. I'm wondering if the caliper is froze up, taking the inner pad down to nothing, which might have made some sparks and caught some grease on the boot afire. Although there was never any indication as to the brake being gone. No grinding or shuddering, so this is just a guess at the moment.

Or maybe it's the universe telling me to give my girl another another shot at happiness!

Last edited by CharlieVT; Dec 27th, 2009 at 5:17 pm.
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 27th, 2009, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Are caliber rebuild kits avail. in the aftermarket or even from the dealer? I'll have to hunt around.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 27th, 2009, 5:45 pm

I don't know if rebuild kits are available.
The BMW parts list doesn't show anything but the whole caliper:
03 34217687020 BRAKE CALIPER, REAR 2.43 1 $519.77
but I wouldn't be surprised if the actual brake manufacturer or an aftermarket company has the stuff.
Or maybe just buy a used one from beemerboneyard if you find you need one.

Before you worry about that, why not take off the rear wheel and the final drive. FD has to come off to replace the burned rubber boot, right?

Take pics of the rotor and caliper, we'd like to see 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun
Thanks for the input. Are caliber rebuild kits avail. in the aftermarket or even from the dealer? I'll have to hunt around.
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 27th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I don't know if rebuild kits are available.
The BMW parts list doesn't show anything but the whole caliper:
03 34217687020 BRAKE CALIPER, REAR 2.43 1 $519.77
I just checked RealOEM, and BMW does show a rear caliper rebuild kit,

Part number 342 14 665 377 at $129.11. The Real OEM prices may not be the same as the Dealer prices.

Edit: I just checked MaxBmw's fiche, and they have it for $110.79

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 27th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Angry Re: Fire!

Do Not go with a EBC rotor! They do not fit the hub correctly so I added another spacer. Started to have a severe vibration coming from the rear end. Found the floating rotor just floating a bit TOO MUCH. The hub housing has worn badly were the rivits anchor the rotor causing it to be 1/8" out of balance Do not go with the EBC rotor!

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 12:11 am

FF,

That's crazy! If you need help on the install, let me know, I have the manual and have done rear brakes before...

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 8:06 am

Could it be that the inner pad was gone and sparks from metal to metal went forward and ignited the boot?

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 9:15 am

Sorry to hear about the boot...and probably the pads...and maybe the caliper and hose...and maybe the rotor...and maybe the speed sensor.
I had this "opportunity" back in July when it was HOT out and needed to travel through about a mile of chip-seal (paving by dumping oil, then covering with gravel) about 3 miles from home. The following day - rode to work (5 miles) no problem, then had to travel 20 miles on the freeway mid-day. About a mile before the exit (at around 70 on cruise) - the ABS lights started to wig-wag at me - went to pull over and had waaaaay too much rear pedal. The heat from the rotor toasted everything. Cause - a rock stuck (glued by asphalt) under the rear linkage. No More Chip-Sealed Roads
I got my rotor, boot, and sensor from Ride West BMW, caliper and hose (used) from beemerboneyard. I have felt your pain... Hope yours has a smaller parts count than mine.

Ron
99 Champagne

Ron Raddas
99 LT
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 11:30 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I just checked RealOEM, and BMW does show a rear caliper rebuild kit,

Part number 342 14 665 377 at $129.11. The Real OEM prices may not be the same as the Dealer prices.

Edit: I just checked MaxBmw's fiche, and they have it for $110.79
+1 for this. While I had an issue with my fronts, I sourced (but did not use) these rebuild kits. They consist of the replacement pots and seals. Easy install, As I removed mine and chose to clean and replace the originals....

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #11 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 10:14 pm

And as far as the karma/girlfriend thing...if she wins the lottery you have your answer!

2009 LT
1998 ACE T
Politics determine how we live here - religion the hereafter, let's talk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in