Help, connect to Aux input but no sound. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 12:33 am Thread Starter

Help, connect to Aux input but no sound.

Hi guys,

I have 00 LT, I would like to use aux input to listen MP3 music, I make a IDE cable and
connect to the aux port , I only connect three wire from ipod to the AUX port,( No.1 pin = Left+ , No. 2 pin = Right + and the No.6 is common.) , and I select the AUX input from panel , but no any sound come out from spreaker, why? would you please to help me to soft the problem. attached the drawing from forums for your refrence.

Thank you for your attention.

Danny
Hong Kong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attach_.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	25715  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 3:10 am

Garage
Re: Help, connect to Aux input but no sound.

Hey Danny,

What system do you have (BC3?) are you going into the front of the unit or the rear? If you are going in the front, that AUX will only play threw headsets, sorry! You would have to get the Aux cable for a 5 series BMW and go in the rear to get music to play to the faring speakers.... Need help? Ask and ye shall receive...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 19 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 3:18 am Thread Starter

Hi Hoss,

Thank you for your reply.

I connect to the rear AUX input port, not the front, but I don't have Aux cable for a 5 series BMW, so I use IDE cable to make it and connect according to the attached daigram. I check with other forum,it necessary to install pre amp because connect to AUX port?

Danny
Hong Kong

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 5:18 am

Just a hint:
Ausgang=output
Eingang=input
Gegensprechanlage=intercom

If I read you correctly, you have made connection to output pins.

I used the intercom connections 4,8 and 9 and can hear ipod from speakers. It is not that loud, but as I usually route music through Autocom to headsets, not an issue to me.

//Ilpo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 10:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh8932
Hi Hoss,

I connect to the rear AUX input port, not the front, but I don't have Aux cable for a 5 series BMW, so I use IDE cable to make it and connect according to the attached daigram. I check with other forum,it necessary to install pre amp because connect to AUX port?

Danny
Hong Kong
When I upgraded ipods I found the output through the AUX input went down considerably. Even after adjusting the ipod's volume limiter to 'max', I really need to crank up the volume on the radio to hear anything.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 11:10 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you are using the CD inputs - that won't work as there is an electronic "handshake" between the CD unit and the radio. With out that handshake that connector cannot be selected from the radio.

The connector on the right side labeled Gegensprechanlage=intercom is the one you want to use with "AUX" selected. Hope you don't have the radio head unit with the cassette as this does not have the intercom connector. ilpo's post has the correct pins for that connector.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 19 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh8932
Hi Hoss,

Danny
Hong Kong
As others have noted, the Aux input at the rear of the unit is NOT amplified. If you are questioning the volume level, I suspect you have the correct connections. Many have put an "boosteroo" inline amp inplace. Although, I have found that with the volume maxed on the Ipod, it works quite well "enough" for my needs...
I sourced the OEM cable local, for less than $40 USD

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ight=radio+aux

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #8 of 19 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
...Aux input at the rear of the unit is NOT amplified. ... Many have put an "boosteroo" inline amp inplace. ... I sourced the OEM cable local, for less than $40 USD
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ight=radio+aux
+1 on both.

I have an in-line amplifier for the AUX line; without it I could barely hear anything, even with all volume settings at max.

An, yes, the BMW kit is very good: all correct connectors with good instructions - cannot go wrong.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #9 of 19 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 7:29 pm

This probably isn't what you're looking for but..... I have an '02 I went the simple route. I use a cassette adapter hooked to my Ipod. Plenty of volume. I got the dice but I thought it was frustrating to control from the handlebar buttons.
Good luck
post #10 of 19 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
This probably isn't what you're looking for but..... I have an '02 I went the simple route. I use a cassette adapter hooked to my Ipod. Plenty of volume. I got the dice but I thought it was frustrating to control from the handlebar buttons.
Good luck
This is true: with a cassette player, the adapter is the most reliable and most simple method of using an auxiliary source. That is how I handled an input from MP3 player on my '00 LT.

If the OP has a CD player, though, it will not work on his bike, of course.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #11 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 8:51 pm

The cassette adapter is the way to go.....I use it with my Iphone and it works well. Radio shack about 15 bucks.

1975 Suzuki GT 185
1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000
1975 Kawasaki H2 750
1978 Kawasaki 650 SR
1999 BMW K1200LT
2009 BMW K1200LT
?????????????????
post #12 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Hi, Guys

Thank you very much for all your reply.

I make a mistake for the wire connection, it should be use the pin 4, 8 and 9 for AUX input, (4 is common, and 8,9 is L&R channel), but the sound quality from speaker is not
so good, especially the mid tone sound very difficult to hearing. may be I have to install amp before AUX input port.

Danny
Hong Kong
post #13 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 11:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I built a simple mixer to combine several different inputs and then fed that to a small stereo amp before feeding the AUX port. It helped quite a bit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 19 Old Dec 31st, 2009, 4:25 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I built a simple mixer to combine several different inputs and then fed that to a small stereo amp before feeding the AUX port. It helped quite a bit.
You say that, like just ANYBODY can used un-obtainium to feed the thrust capacitor into the ACME ipod adapter!!!!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #15 of 19 Old Dec 31st, 2009, 10:43 am

Talking Re: Help, connect to Aux input but no sound.

Quote:
You say that, like just ANYBODY can used un-obtainium to feed the thrust capacitor into the ACME ipod adapter!!!!
Er... What's an ipod???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #16 of 19 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 7:49 am

has anyone thought about the cd changer in saddle bag??? like most have remove it for storage... but all the wiring is there... could any of this be make work to play MP3's

Bridwell Terhune
MSF Rider Coach #136275
Patriot Guard Rider Ky.#124388
GWRRA # 611040
BMWMOA # 102726
Shelbyville Ky.
[email protected]
502-655-0026 cell
502-633-4594 anytime

Bridwell Terhune
MSF Rider Coach #136275
Patriot Guard Rider Ky.#124388
GWRRA # 611040
BMWMOA # 102726
Shelbyville Ky.

2002 K1200LTC
post #17 of 19 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 8:15 am

Talking Re: Help, connect to Aux input but no sound.

Quote:
Yes, but that ONLY on the toggle sprocket equipped bike silly!

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #18 of 19 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bterhune
has anyone thought about the cd changer in saddle bag??? like most have remove it for storage... but all the wiring is there... could any of this be make work to play MP3's...
Bridwell: yes, there were adapters on the market that plugged into the cable end in the sidecase and you could feed any audio signal in. I picked up once one in Circuit City, when it still existed; it was marketed for older 3-series cars. Never used it, because I realized that I'd have to feed another wire back to the sidecase to have the player up front - the adapter did not provide control inputs.

I read about adapters made by DICE Electronics, these will control an iPod via handlebar controls - you may want to search the forums here devoted to accessories, I do not know much more about it since I don't use the Apple product.

I use mostly satellite radio on the road, so that my setup is:

- cable connector in sidecase taped up, for any future owner who wants to reinstall the CD changer.

- sat radio in the cockpit, fed via an FM relay into the bike radio antenna (i.e., not "over-the-air"). That works very, very well.

- for the rare occasion when I use my MP3 player, I have the 3.5mm jack in the oddments compartment. From there it goes to the booster-amplifier mounted under the nosepiece, then to the AUX radio input using the BMW kit.

PS. Are you sure you want your mobile numbers posted here? All members here are an honorable bunch, but you may get an occasional troll...

Robert in Northern NJ

Last edited by rdwalker; Apr 3rd, 2010 at 10:16 am.
post #19 of 19 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:04 am

Quote:
You kidding me? I saw John's slave-cylinder weep hole video last night. The guy is a magician: makes the pivot bolts unscrew by themselves. What's a puny audio mixer for a guy like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Actually, for those who do not want to spend the effort themselves: there is an excellent portable product called Mix-It. I used the original version a lot on different bikes and on portable intercom setups. It allows mixing-in of up to 4 audio sources into your headsets or radio, with priority overriding, etc. The version currently sold is Mix-It2, with some improvements including supposedly better power supply noise rejection (I used the original on 9V battery to avoid noise from my ground loops).

If you need to feed several devices, like radar detector, GPS and your MP3 player into one audio port, that may be the way to go.
http://www.mixitproducts.com

Robert in Northern NJ

Last edited by rdwalker; Apr 3rd, 2010 at 12:01 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in