Center Stand on a Lift - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

Center Stand on a Lift

Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to start the replacement of my clutch but I have a question. I have bought this lift from HF and the wheel chock in order to have a set up like the last picture taken from another earlier thread. I wonder how is possible to lift the motorcycle on the center stand once the front wheel is locked in the chock? Normally, when you do that on the ground the bike slides back about 7" so how is this going to take place?

Do I even need to put the bike on the center stand (to remove the rear wheel perhaps) or just leave it locked in the chock for the whole procedure?

Thanks,

Eno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF Lift.gif
Views:	38
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	25707   Click image for larger version

Name:	96349.GIF
Views:	53
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	25708   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF Lift 2.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	25709  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Re: Center Stand on a Lift

Wow, 21 views not one reply? Maybe I haven't been too clear what my concern is...
Anyway, I'm going to work on the platforms this evening. Hopefully someone has the answer until then, if not I'll just go ahead and drill the mounting holes on the lift for installing the chock.

Thanks

Last edited by zuchero; Dec 24th, 2009 at 3:20 pm.
post #3 of 5 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuchero
Wow, 21 views not one reply? Maybe I haven't been too clear what my concern is...
Anyway, I'm going to work on the platforms this evening. Hopefully someone has the answer until then, if not I'll just go ahead and drill the mounting holes on the lift for installing the chock.

Thanks
It would be difficult/impossible to put the LT on it's centerstand at the same time the front wheel is locked in that type of chock. That chock would work to keep the bike's front wheel secure, butt you would prolly need to tie down the bike to keep it vertical while working on various projects. If you need to centerstand the bike, then you'd be better suited with a vise-type chock that lets you ride to the barrier; lift the bike onto the centerstand; and then close the vise to grip the front wheel. Handy-Lift's website may have a picture of that arrangement - google may show it. Good luck.

post #4 of 5 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuchero

Thanks
I have the same lift (different chock) and have been doing a lot of research on this.

One thread I saw was to load the bike onto chock, keep the straps a bit loose, then use a small bottle jack under the pan to lift the bike "vertically" enough to lower the stand by hand and remove the jack.

I plan on implementing this method soon, as I have front fork seals to replace (yes I know, I don't need a lift for THAT - but I have a lift, and it must be used!). The chock I bought can be disassembled once the bike is on the center stand (for easy front tire removal).

Others have extended the stock "clamp" 6 - 7" forward and, once set on the lift, pull the thing up onto the center stand as normal so that the rear tire is over the dropout and the center stand is over part of the reinforced steel structure (although at this time I don't see the benefit of this).

In all my research, I've found that you'll get a different method from each person. Guess eventually we just have to find a method that works for us and go with it.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #5 of 5 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
I have the same lift (different chock) and have been doing a lot of research on this.

One thread I saw was to load the bike onto chock, keep the straps a bit loose, then use a small bottle jack under the pan to lift the bike "vertically" enough to lower the stand by hand and remove the jack.

I plan on implementing this method soon, as I have front fork seals to replace (yes I know, I don't need a lift for THAT - but I have a lift, and it must be used!). The chock I bought can be disassembled once the bike is on the center stand (for easy front tire removal).

Others have extended the stock "clamp" 6 - 7" forward and, once set on the lift, pull the thing up onto the center stand as normal so that the rear tire is over the dropout and the center stand is over part of the reinforced steel structure (although at this time I don't see the benefit of this).

In all my research, I've found that you'll get a different method from each person. Guess eventually we just have to find a method that works for us and go with it.

Hi Gino,

thanks for replying. Congrats on your lift. I guess you too took advantage of that coupon for that HF lift . My lift came with the vise just like in the first picture or the coupon I posted last week. But seeing one of the members (Pastor Jack) using instead the HF chock (which by the way I found it on special at $30 plus 15% off coupon, it came to $25 including taxes I wanted to try the same way. I did ask Pastor Jack last week about how does he remove the center stand once the bike is locked into the chock and his reply was exactly what you said Dino "you need to lift the bike with a jack". But I didn't ask him how to deploy the center stand in the first place. I'll probably shoot him a PM and see what he says.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in