Proper feel of Clutch lever? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Proper feel of Clutch lever?

Hi All,

So on my '99' with 48K miles I have change the fluids in the Engine, Tranny, FD and brakes (very dark before, now nice and clean)

The clutch fluid is also very dark so I will be flushing this next. My question is should the clutch lever pull all the way to the grip or should it tighten up like the brake lever. I noticed if I 'pump' the lever it finaly comes up short and much like the brake lever does. Since I have your attention what is the part number for a speed bleeder nipple for the clutch grub screw?

As always thanks guys!

Last edited by RamseyMS; Dec 18th, 2009 at 12:33 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 11:26 pm

Re: Proper feel of Clutch lever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamseyMS
Hi All,

So on my '99' with 48K miles I have change the fluids in the Engine, Tranny, FD and brakes (very dark before, now nice and clean)

The clutch fluid is also very dark do I will be flushing this next. My question is should the clutch lever pull all the way to the grip or should it tighten up like the brake lever. I noticed if I 'pump' the lever it finaly comes up short and much like the brake lever does. Since I have your attention what is the part number for a speed bleeder nipple for the clutch grub screw?

As always thanks guys!

Don't know the part number for the speed bleeder, and never can get em to work to great on the clutch anyway. I usually remove the end (ventilation screw and plug) from the end of the hose underneath the right side wing and just install a normal bleeder valve.

As for clutch pressure, the clutch will typically pull all the way until it touches the grip. Just make sure you get all the air out of the line and you'll be fine.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Jack! Makes me feel better :-). Do you happen to know any who stocks the shifter linkage ball joints? I waited for two weeks and received the wrongs ones (like 5 times too large

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 11:45 pm

I do not, but someone will chime in soon on that. Blessings!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 18th, 2009, 2:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The dealer. Chicago BMW still does a 20% discount (it just does not show up front at checkout)

07119901736 BALL PIN $3.29

Here is a bleed nipple that will fit the fill adapter (but you can gravity flush by removing the grub screw and hold the check valve ball back with a small nail).

34212330310 VENT SCREW (M10) - Up to 01/2001 $8.20

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 6 Old Dec 18th, 2009, 10:42 pm
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Exclamation Re: Proper feel of Clutch lever?

For what it is worth, in the BMW On magazine, December 2009, p. 28 there is an article discussing replacing the clutch slave cylinder. I was interested in this article since I am interested in drilling the weep hole for the clutch slave.

I noted in the article that the color of the clutch brake fluid could indicate that the clutch slave cylinder is failing. You may not have that problem but this article is worth reading since you mentioned that your brake fluid is very dark.

Good luck.

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in