BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

The LT for a RT or 1300 ST. What was I thinking?

6K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Samer 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd share a few observations now that I have my senses back. This is not a bike trashing post but just some thoughts for others who have been thinking about swapping the LT for something else. I was looking to downsize as I only ride single and thought a smaller bike would be easier especially at slow speeds. I was focusing on the Honda 1300ST as I knew it had a reputation for smoothness as well as dependability. I was also interested in an 05 or 06 RT1200 since I'd heard BMW had substantially reduced the vibrations I felt when I was considering an 04 RT but opted instead for the LT.

I had a friend that lent me his 04 1300ST on Saturday. I was able to spend about 30 minutes on it both on the highway and some twisties. There is no doubt the bike pulls like a mule! Incredible power! But The folks who say the engine is smooth have never been on an LT. The powerplant buzzed from about 3,000 RPM to 8,000. I mean really buzzed! You could feel it in your seat, handgrips and footpegs. My impression was it did not handle as well as my LT. The bike kinda resisted leaning over in turns. The LT is much more agreeable.
I did experience the "heat" issue often mentioned by people who ride the 1300. It comes up like a blast furnace from the gap between the front of the seat and the end of the gas tank. It was only 75 degrees outside but man I can only imagine the bike in August. I can see why people really like the 1300 but having come from an LT, it was just to much to give up. No radio or heated seat, engine sound identical to George Jettison's space car as well as the cramped riding position killed my interest.

Having rulled out the 1300, I rode down to my local dealer to try an 06 RT1200. The bike was loaded with the exception of the ESA. The RT is a blast to ride. Very forgiving and really gave you a sense of confidence as it responds to input so well. However, they just can't make a 2 cylinder as smooth as the LT mill. Although substantially better than the 04 RT, the 06 just cannot come even close to the turbine smoothness of the LT.

I was glad I rode both scoots on the same day with my LT. The hope that one of these bikes could replace the LT was driving me crazy. I just had to know. I can say with 100% certainty that I've now renewed my love affair with my LT. It is truly the best bike on the road for what I want, a comfortable, smooth running sport touring machine. I can only hope my LT does not reward my momentary indiscretion by trashing my rear drive. If it happens, I guess I deserved it. What with karma and all that.

See less See more
#2 ·
The police department tested the ST1300 as police motorcycle. We also rode the new R1200RT. After ridden both and owning an LT I can not agree with what you wrote more.

#3 ·
Have to agree there, back with my second LT, I missed the smoothness so much.
I guess nobody will pursuade a sports bike rider to get an LT, but for what it does, and the way I (we) like to ride, there is nothing better
Simon

#5 ·
I am glad that you like what you have. As far a smoothness is concerned my ST1300 is a lot smoother at low speeds that my LT. At highway speeds there is little difference. After your comments about the ST buzz all I can say is I must have a good ST then as mine doesn't buzz in the bars, seat or handgrips.

#6 ·
I have a Sprint ST and now an LT, the Sprint is as smooth as the LT but it is not nearly as comfortable. And the Sprint is not suitable for two-up long touring, but it can keep up with any sport bike.

#7 ·
Hmmmm?? I probably am looking at this wrong but I consider my LT one of the larger Sport/Touring bikes. I can ride it like a casual tourer or ride hard and compete with the real sport tourers. The LT is real good in the curves and not bad on top end, true it ain't no 150mph bike but I get to go to jail just as long at 125mph as someone does at 150mph, plus and this is the biggest plus for me and thats the ride quality of the LT, there ain't nothing like it........regards Pete

#8 ·
Talk about going brain dead, I traded an LT for an Harley Ultra Classic. While I did enjoy the Ultra and it really is a good bike and a lot of folks do some serious touring on these bikes. I went back to LT and am not planning to leave any time soon. But, I will have to admit the seating position on the Ultra was the most comfortable position and I did put in some 500-600 miles days and lived to tell about them. But nothing can beat the LT.
Leon
05 Blue LT

#9 ·
When I first looked at getting a bike for long distance riding, I struggled over the ST. My buddy let me ride his for about 45 minutes in the mountains and a few other times around town. I loved it!! After coming from a V4 Honda engine in my last bike (Honda Magna - 1996 - now my son's), I couldn't say enough about the smoothness, even power curve, gas mileage and reliability of the Honda V4. I didn't think I would ever change.

But after some serious riding and thinking, and as much as I loved the ST and wanted one, the seating position for 600 mile days just didn't do it for me.. So, I tried an LT and never looked back. My first ride was on my bike at the previous owner's home. I couldn't get enough and committed to buy it after about a 70 mile ride..

Still love the ST, but if I can only have 1, it will be the LT.

#10 ·
Graydude: I suspect that your buddy's ST1300 needs a balance shaft adjustment. Its a simple procedure, that can be done in 15 minutes in the driveway. The ST13's engine is very smooth, and there should be absolutely no buzz.

I'm biased, of course, but if you'd like just a little less mass than the LT, but still a smooth long distance tourer, test an ST1100 if you get the opportunity. Its quite different than any of the above. If you sense any engine vibration on the ST1100, the carbs are out of sync, which is also easy to set up yourself.

#11 ·
You could be right. The bike has 32K miles on it. The buzzing aside, the bike just did not feel like I could do 600 mile days. I liked being able to put my feet flat down but my legs were at a pretty tight angle while on the pegs. No doubt the ST1300 is a fine machine, I just determined it was not the one for me.

#12 ·
simon said:
I guess nobody will pursuade a sports bike rider to get an LT, but for what it does, and the way I (we) like to ride, there is nothing bette
No...but the opposite is true for me. After buying the LT, I found that I needed more of a sport-tourer and bought my ZX-11. Now I have the perfect blend in my stable. The best LD touring machine on 2 wheels...and one amazing sport-tourer (focused more on SPORT).

nplenzick said:
Maybe you might test ride the new GT when it hits the showroom floor.
If it buzzes like the K1200S does...it won't be much of an alternative. At the IMS Show, I did notice that BMW gave the GT rubber footpegs and BMW rubber-mounted the ends of the handlebars into the center section. I'm only guessing that this is an effort to get rid of the buzzing I felt on my test rides on the 'S'.

petepeterson said:
Hmmmm?? I probably am looking at this wrong but I consider my LT one of the larger Sport/Touring bikes. I can ride it like a casual tourer or ride hard and compete with the real sport tourers. The LT is real good in the curves and not bad on top end, true it ain't no 150mph bike but I get to go to jail just as long at 125mph as someone does at 150mph, plus and this is the biggest plus for me and thats the ride quality of the LT, there ain't nothing like it........regards Pete
Half of me wants to argue with you, whilst the other half totally agrees with you. The half that does NOT agree with you is the half that loves riding my ZX-11. When I get off it and mount up on the LT...the LT feels like a slow whale. AND, it scraps pegs all too soon.

CarSalesman said:
Graydude: I suspect that your buddy's ST1300 needs a balance shaft adjustment.
Not sure it's a balance shaft adjustment, or what. But SOMETHING has to be wrong. I've owned 7 Honda V4s. And if there's one thing I can say about them is that they are sssmmoooooooooth.

#16 ·
I agree,, I would never give up my '05 for a LT that had the buzz the S has..

Waiting for the new GT to come out to see if it is like the S or if they toned it down and made it smooth.. So far I can't think of a bike I'd give my LT up for..............Regards Pete

#17 ·
1200GT delayed

Don't know if it's nation wide but I got a call from my dealer yesterday and he told me the 1200GT introduction was being delayed until May. He also told me after I asked that he has no deposits yet. Lots of people on his call list but no cash yet.

#18 ·
I found it "interesting" (to say the least) that the handlebars wiggled when I put a little pressure on them. I'm not sure I want my handlebar ends being rubber-mounted. It just seems like a band-aid of some sort. Then again...I could change that opinion after a test ride. Maybe it's just what the doctor ordered.

#19 ·
What was I thinking?

I am in unanimous agreement with you. And for final drive and gearbox check out Spirax gear oil by shell. I have been using it for over 10 years. The two final drive failures I've had were due to towing a trailer with my '85 K100RT and previous damage to my rear diff. in my pickup. In both the Spirax allowed them to take me home and then some. In both, the technicians were amazed at why they both did not fall apart and seize. I use it in all my vehicles that use gear oil. And it exceeds BMW specs.

#20 ·
K1200gt Honda st and yamaha fjr

Went to bike show in Chicago last nite. Sat on the GT.

A few observations. I am 5'9" 235lbs and wear a 32 inch inseam for your reference. Wife is 5' 10" and very long inseam 34"?

Light feeling compared to the LT more than 200lbs worth.
More comfortable than the previous GT

Seat, Aftermarket is in order.

Tighter fit over all when considering knee bend, foot peg position, seat position relationship compared to the LT.

Controls and instrumentation is similar to all BMW's Display was not on so can not comment on that.

Would I want one YES! wife no way.

As for the ST and FJR they come in near seconds but still lack the BMW visual precision and refinement of technology. BMW also is also the most expensive at first glance. add up accesories that come with the BMW and don't on the other and the diff may not be as much??

Wife also did not like the FJR or the ST. She thought they both looked like wannabe GT's Her words not mine. I explained the chronology of the bikes but got yeah what ever.

To further add to my happiness of buying the right bike in 02' the LT we sat on a new Goldwing. My $.02 seat was worse than the stock LT and way to many buttons. GPS was nice but distracting. (Yes sitting still) Wife still thought the passenger foot pegs are to high. Too much knee bend.

Still would like to ride all 3 to get a real take on matters but that will have to wait till spring.

#21 ·
Just thought I'd share a few observations now that I have my senses back. This is not a bike trashing post but just some thoughts for others who have been thinking about swapping the LT for something else. I was looking to downsize as I only ride single and thought a smaller bike would be easier especially at slow speeds. I was focusing on the Honda 1300ST as I knew it had a reputation for smoothness as well as dependability. I was also interested in an 05 or 06 RT1200 since I'd heard BMW had substantially reduced the vibrations I felt when I was considering an 04 RT but opted instead for the LT.

I had a friend that lent me his 04 1300ST on Saturday. I was able to spend about 30 minutes on it both on the highway and some twisties. There is no doubt the bike pulls like a mule! Incredible power! But The folks who say the engine is smooth have never been on an LT. The powerplant buzzed from about 3,000 RPM to 8,000. I mean really buzzed! You could feel it in your seat, handgrips and footpegs. My impression was it did not handle as well as my LT. The bike kinda resisted leaning over in turns. The LT is much more agreeable.
I did experience the "heat" issue often mentioned by people who ride the 1300. It comes up like a blast furnace from the gap between the front of the seat and the end of the gas tank. It was only 75 degrees outside but man I can only imagine the bike in August. I can see why people really like the 1300 but having come from an LT, it was just to much to give up. No radio or heated seat, engine sound identical to George Jettison's space car as well as the cramped riding position killed my interest.

Having rulled out the 1300, I rode down to my local dealer to try an 06 RT1200. The bike was loaded with the exception of the ESA. The RT is a blast to ride. Very forgiving and really gave you a sense of confidence as it responds to input so well. However, they just can't make a 2 cylinder as smooth as the LT mill. Although substantially better than the 04 RT, the 06 just cannot come even close to the turbine smoothness of the LT.

I was glad I rode both scoots on the same day with my LT. The hope that one of these bikes could replace the LT was driving me craz y. I just had to know. I can say with 100% certainty that I've now renewed my love affair with my LT. It is truly the best bike on the road for what I want, a comfortable, smooth running sport touring machine. I can only hope my LT does not reward my momentary indiscretion by trashing my rear drive. If it happens, I guess I deserved it. What with karma and all that.
To me. There is no other long distance touring machine that beats the LT. The Wing is real nice. The LT has the edge in fairing design and comfort. I've been looking for years. Stop torturing yourself. There is no such bike.

#25 ·
I have to concur, I have a R1200CLC ( very comfortable to ride for,long) but slow speeds is a hard needs getting used to, which i have by now (16 years ) and just got a 2007 LT which I love too, handles great , slow speed needs getting used to, but gravel and bad roads pot holes etc ,, much more painful than the LC , and less forgiving! But on nice roads fast , nothing beats it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.