What!?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

What!??

I took the bike out of the garage today, just to warm the engine as she sat on the drive. I know she can move forward and off the side stand, so I made sure she was facing uphill a bit.
On a cold day like today and without having been started for a few weeks, she is prone to stall, so I kept an ear open while I pottered about doing other things.
Was plesently surptised to hear she didn't stall, but when I got back to her to pop her into the garage...........UH? How did THAT happen?
She was halfway down the drive, both wheels in the air, almost upside-down!!! Engine purring politely. (for those who know my drive - she was parked by the garage when I left her and was almost by the gate when I got back!!)
There was a long scape in the tarmac (ash-felt?) and the bike was seat side facing downhill. She must have started slipping backwards, turned and flipped over hard and possibly continued sliding for a while.
Devil of a job getting her tire side down,
Damage - scraped back box, side box, bumpers and worst - broken mirror housing.
All in all, I think I got off quite lightly. If she had left the drive, there are some very hefty bolders she could have ruptured herself on - worse still, she could have entered the sesspit!

Lessons learnt:
  • She can fall backwards as well as forwards (will use something on the brake leaver in future)
  • She don't have a tip over engine kill sensor like my ST1100

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Re: What!??

Man, sorry to hear that.. big time bummer...
post #3 of 31 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 1:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ouch! Sorry to hear about damage, but thanks for the tip. One acccident, hopefully, others can avoid.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 31 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 4:39 pm

sorry to hear that rick knowing your drive i would't have thought it posssible that that could have happend either.It sounds like it nearly got to the road.
post #5 of 31 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Lucky it wasn't an R1150RT. They can catch fire if left ticking over too long.

post #6 of 31 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Pictures, we needed Pictures.

Just pat her gentle on her rear end and say Ahh! I'm sure she will be fine.

Anyway, this is the driveway. It is quite a slope which doesn't come across too well in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Driveway.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	25669  

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #7 of 31 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 8:09 pm
Gold Supporter

wow, I would have never guessed that could happen. A front brake bungee or something would probably stop it as you suggest, but I would never guess it could slip backwards against the side stand. Thanks for the tip, something else to watch out for.

Jim H.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #8 of 31 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 11:10 pm

How!??

OK, I am not too clear on how the bike ran away.

Did the vibration cause it to "walk" on the stand? Did it rotate around the stand?

Can you elaborate?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #9 of 31 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 6:58 am Thread Starter

As I say, I wasn't watching it, I know where I left her and I know where I found her. I am guessing the vibration started her to move backwards, downhill. There is not a lot of weight on the stand and with a mixture of vibrations and wet drive, I can see moving backwards would be possible. When it got a bit steeper the bike may not have continued backwards straight or maybe the sidestand got stuck on something, the bike turned so the sidestand was on the uphill side, so went over - highside. and possibly slid some more.
If I had lived anywhere but here, I would have thought someone was trying to steal her - but no way would that happen here.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #10 of 31 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 9:11 am

It would seem that if the bike was pointing uphill and the handlebars were turned hard left it wouldn't have to roll too far before the sidestand would be above the bike. Add the slope of the hill and down sheakd go.

I have a downhill slope from the garage to the street. I once left the remote for the garage door opener in the garage and tried to leave her idling on the slope. I climbed off and she immediately started to roll toward the street. I had to shut her down and leave it in gear to get the opener.

As I think about it even if the handlebars were nearly straight as it rolled back the handlebars would likely fall off one way or the other..

Sure sorry to hear of your misfortune. Any chance there could be any engine damage from running in the layed over position? Don't think they put inverted oil systems in these bikes like they put in aerobatic planes. I sure hope not.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 31 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 10:10 am

Talking Re: What!??

To prevent the above from happening, could most likely be one of the reasons it is suggested in the operating guide not to leave the engine running. start engine and drive off is what the delivery info was. In colder weather the beast does need to warm up for easier shifting and on cooler mornings or nights I just go a while in second gear and bike warms up in a little over a mile of travel.

and for the record I also know she will travel on the center stand (fall off and over) on a very slight incline and end up on her side. I really do like the built in protection provided by the very caring BMW engineers and design section of this Company.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #12 of 31 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 10:55 pm

I must say, that's a nice pad you have there, Cookie.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 31 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 11:28 pm

Did you leave it in REVERSE?????

Just Joking Bro......

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 31 Old Dec 18th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Richard,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Tried to PM you but your box is full. How did the Strongback work out for you?

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #15 of 31 Old Dec 19th, 2009, 4:22 am

Same thing happend to me once, though not with the LT. Bloody bike fell on my car.

That wasn't a good day.
post #16 of 31 Old Dec 19th, 2009, 9:55 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Cookie thank you for sharing your painful experience. I for one would have never thought it could bounce idle on the side stand. I have never done that as warm ups are on the center stand.

Hope you get her squared away without a whole lot of pain.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #17 of 31 Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 8:30 am

Bad Luck on that one C00k1e, I know you are so careful on your drive, never thought something like that would happen,

now i know what to get you for xmas, "duck Tape" (sorry, but could have been far worse )

But i think i could get the stupid medal, pushing mine out of the shed last month, I forgot to take the chain lock off the front wheel, "CLUNK" opps!!!
I had to remove the brake calipers to get the chain off only to find flued dripping from the joint, oh shit!!!
I thought, new pipe, bleed the system... big job, but i was lucky to get away with just tightening up the bolt, Thankfully.
post #18 of 31 Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 8:43 pm

I did the same thing once though the wind pushed her uphill and off the side stand ..... uphill.... and she didn't keep running.... she died ..... didn't go far though...

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #19 of 31 Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Bear, you have all the luck - the day you 'went for it' getting your LT up my bike lift and landed on the work top - that could have been a real bad day. That work top was held up by one old pipe, and the work top props up all my tools on the wall board (many sharp tools!).
Damage - one small chip out of the work top! Now that is luck.

post #20 of 31 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 4:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Bear, you have all the luck - the day you 'went for it' getting your LT up my bike lift and landed on the work top - that could have been a real bad day. That work top was held up by one old pipe, and the work top props up all my tools on the wall board (many sharp tools!).
Damage - one small chip out of the work top! Now that is luck.
That was a day.... But we were cool!!!!

The way that sounds, “went for it” “landed on the worktop” that will get there mind thinking,
You just had to be there!
Not so much luck, but your brilliant engineering ?...

Hope you both have a lovely Christmas & will get down to see you after new year,
(with some duck tape. Lol x)
post #21 of 31 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear-KLT
That was a day.... But we were cool!!!!

The way that sounds, “went for it” “landed on the worktop” that will get there mind thinking,
You just had to be there!
Not so much luck, but your brilliant engineering ?...

Hope you both have a lovely Christmas & will get down to see you after new year,
(with some duck tape. Lol x)
Ok guys! Let's hear about this one! Nobody died directly as a result of this incident did they?

Feliz Navidad!

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #22 of 31 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 10:33 am

Talking Re: What!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Ok guys! Let's hear about this one! Nobody died directly as a result of this incident did they?

Feliz Navidad!
Well at least we can conclude that no "Bears" died in the incident Loren!

Merry Christmas to all!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #23 of 31 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Well at least we can conclude that no "Bears" died in the incident Loren!

Merry Christmas to all!

John
Tee hee hee! I just have this vision of Bear lining up on the ramp, setting the revs at 7800 RPM and shooting over the front end of the ramp with the front wheel coming to rest on a work bench, the front of which is supported by one rusty vertical pipe which is bending under the load!

So....... What really happened?

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #24 of 31 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Quote:
As I say, I wasn't watching it, I know where I left her and I know where I found her. I am guessing the vibration started her to move backwards, downhill. There is not a lot of weight on the stand and with a mixture of vibrations and wet drive, I can see moving backwards would be possible. When it got a bit steeper the bike may not have continued backwards straight or maybe the sidestand got stuck on something, the bike turned so the sidestand was on the uphill side, so went over - highside. and possibly slid some more.
If I had lived anywhere but here, I would have thought someone was trying to steal her - but no way would that happen here.
Hi there,

yes that's exactly what happened, the vibrations caused the bike to slide backwards. I first noticed that when I tried to put air on the tires one day. The problem is that in the new house I had recently moved there is a sloped driveway like yours so I started the bike in neutral in the middle of the driveway and by the time I went inside the garage to take the compressor the bike was sliding slowly. I got lucky I got back in time and since then I put a 2"x3" (any similar size would do) piece of wood behind the rear tire.

Regards,

Eno
post #25 of 31 Old Dec 24th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Cookie:
What color is it? I have a touch up paint kit (BMW) that was never used. If it matches your color, I can mail it.

B D R
post #26 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 6:24 am Thread Starter

Hi Gunny, it is the '99 silver.

As to the Bear story:
My ramp is alongside a very makeshift worktop held up with one old tube. Behind it is a sheet of plywood as a wall of tools that rests on the worktop.
Yes, he revved it (a bit)
Went for it
Probably thought the tool box next to the ramp was full and stable and of course it wasnt, so the tool box went over when he put his foot on it for support - and both he and the bike went over - landing, sideways, on the makeshift worktop. If the bar had given way, bear would have been the next one on the pile, followed by the bike and then all the tools. It would have taken some time to dig him out!

post #27 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 4:13 pm

You probably didn't have a video camera running did you? It would make a grea "How not to" training film!

Sure he glad he didn't go over. It would be a horrible thing to lay there with your favorite motorcycle slowly squishing you flat!

Loren

Quote:
Hi Gunny, it is the '99 silver.

As to the Bear story:
My ramp is alongside a very makeshift worktop held up with one old tube. Behind it is a sheet of plywood as a wall of tools that rests on the worktop.
Yes, he revved it (a bit)
Went for it
Probably thought the tool box next to the ramp was full and stable and of course it wasnt, so the tool box went over when he put his foot on it for support - and both he and the bike went over - landing, sideways, on the makeshift worktop. If the bar had given way, bear would have been the next one on the pile, followed by the bike and then all the tools. It would have taken some time to dig him out!

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #28 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Bear - shall I set the camera up next time - just in case?

post #29 of 31 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Cookie:
Sorry, Anthracite is the color touch up kit I have.

B D R
post #30 of 31 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 6:17 am Thread Starter

No worries, thanks for the offer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Cookie:
Sorry, Anthracite is the color touch up kit I have.

post #31 of 31 Old Dec 30th, 2009, 6:55 am

Cool Re: What!??

Quote:
like if u had lived in toxteth say
glad to hear the damage wasnt to bad, good job u didnt have a trailer on the back,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in