A cure for slave cylinder failures... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

A cure for slave cylinder failures...

Convert back to a manual clutch..

I can't believe no one thought of this...I forgot to get simple.
How do you fix something. The simplest way you can..

It certainly would be easy enough to design a manual assembly to mount where the slave cylinder goes...Just a cover and a lever assembly to push the rod in...

One of you machinist types should build this.........

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Re: A cure for slave cylinder failures...

Great idee... I know I'd build it if I had the shop... No need to "replace" the Slave.. all you need is a "linkage" that moves the slave outside the engine/gearbox.
post #3 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Golly Gee That is just what they have on Airheads. But that one had a bearing that was prone to fail and it spin welded the rod to the release disc. Oh and the cables broke all the time. But the clutch was OK.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Guess I've never ridden long enough for a cable to fail...
But most all bikes have cables. A lot easier to replace than a clutch and slave cylinder...

To me simple is still good...

John

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 1:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
To me simple is still good...

John
I agree John as I was looking for an easy tap point for switched power on my CAN bus GS. I began to realize just how dead in the water I will be with an EMP event!!.

You could always carry a spare cable and tie it to the old one as you pulled it out. Also a small pair of vise grips make a great temporary lever. Not gonna do that on an LT...

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #6 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 4:24 pm

I was actually thinking of ways to move the slave cylinder up and at a right angle to the actuation rod, then putting a lever in the new housing to transfer the action to the rod. Had it somewhat worked out in my head, but the totaling of my LT in late 2004 kinda ended the thought.

My thinking was that removing the spinning action of the rod from the bearing in the end of the piston would remove most of the reason for the cylinder to fail, and even if it did fail for some reason there would be no path for the fluid to get to the clutch, and it would show up on the ground under the bike right away.

If someone gives me an LT, I may just have to work on this again.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Dave,

GAColson is almost trying to give one away. http://www.bmwlt.com/classifieds/sho...p/product/1966

Seems like a really good deal to me, although it is 10 years old. You'll have plenty of stuff to tinker with on this bike.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #8 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 7:18 pm

David, Dave Dragon mentioned a while back that he literally tried to GIVE an LT away FREE to a tech school but never heard back from them.

Dave Dragon, how much tax benefit would you receive if the school had accepted your bike?

I would put up $50 toward making you whole for the tax break so Mr Shealy could have a bike to work on! Anybody else????

This aint charity in any way shape or form but rather a selfish personal goal. I figure I would get a return in spades on my investment with all the help Mr S. provides.

Let me know where to send the cash!!!!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 8:12 pm

My 85 K100 has the throw out bearing spinning in oil in basically the same location as the slave cylinder pilot goes now. They have a seal inverted in the input shaft that prevents the oil from getting on the clutch. Well at least till the seal fails anyhow.

Been thinking along the same lines myself. Either install a TRUE thrust bearing for the load and use slave or mechanical linkage. I agree with Dave S. on this that there is no decent bearing in this assembly.

Simplest option: Ride my old K

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #10 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
My thinking was that removing the spinning action of the rod from the bearing in the end of the piston would remove most of the reason for the cylinder to fail

Dave, If this is the case...how much do you think the FELT on the actuator rod contributes to the spinning of the rod itself. I know that the rod fits rather loosely inside of the Input shaft w/o the felt, but with it, it seems that it would be almost certain to turn constantly when the shaft is turning.

I have never considered the felt to be much of a "seal" at all and is maybe there to prevent noise??? But...I wonder if it actually contributes to failure of the slave bearing by making it spin more.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Dave, If this is the case...how much do you think the FELT on the actuator rod contributes to the spinning of the rod itself. I know that the rod fits rather loosely inside of the Input shaft w/o the felt, but with it, it seems that it would be almost certain to turn constantly when the shaft is turning.

I have never considered the felt to be much of a "seal" at all and is maybe there to prevent noise??? But...I wonder if it actually contributes to failure of the slave bearing by making it spin more.
When I did my slave replacement I ordered the felt to install. The problem, on the 99 there is no place to put the felt so I left it out. Also the felt did not fit around the shaft. When I took it apart I did not find any felt on the shaft or a place to put it.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #12 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 10:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
When I did my slave replacement I ordered the felt to install. The problem, on the 99 there is no place to put the felt so I left it out. Also the felt did not fit around the shaft. When I took it apart I did not find any felt on the shaft or a place to put it.

Garry
The grooved rod and felt were a product improvement added some where around 2001 or 2002.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 23 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 7:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack

The felt is certainly not a seal, as fluid can pass through it. I was told by my dealer in San Diego that it was added to reduce noise. The actuation rod can rattle in the bore of the input shaft at times.

The rod rotates all the time the engine is running. The pressure produced by the slave cylinder spring keeps it in tight contact with the diaphragm spring which is always turning when the engine is running. I am pretty convinced that the major cause of slave failure is from the piston turning in the cylinder when the little bearing gets tight or seizes. One of mine was really chewed up from spinning, and I posted pictures of it in the past. That constant spinning is a lot to ask of such a small ball thrust bearing.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 23 Old Dec 18th, 2009, 11:41 pm

Maybe instead of a small bearing in the rod BMW should have imbedded a bigger bearing in the diaphragm designed to take the abuse.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #15 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2009, 3:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe instead of a small bearing in the rod BMW should have imbedded a bigger bearing in the diaphragm designed to take the abuse.
I think that ship sailed with the final drive....

John

post #16 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2009, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I was actually thinking of ways to move the slave cylinder up and at a right angle to the actuation rod, then putting a lever in the new housing to transfer the action to the rod. Had it somewhat worked out in my head, but the totaling of my LT in late 2004 kinda ended the thought.

My thinking was that removing the spinning action of the rod from the bearing in the end of the piston would remove most of the reason for the cylinder to fail, and even if it did fail for some reason there would be no path for the fluid to get to the clutch, and it would show up on the ground under the bike right away.

If someone makes me a hellava deal on -------- an LT, I may just have to work on this again.
Dave,
See pic.
It's time you chnaged your $ignature
PM me.

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #17 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2009, 8:47 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Dave Dragon, how much tax benefit would you receive if the school had accepted your bike?
As an Administrator of a Tech School, I can tell you that the IRS would probably accept KBB value of the bike. That is what we tell anyone who is donating a car, bike or ATV to our program- unofficially of course.

Bottom line, it's a matter between you and the IRS.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #18 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2009, 8:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Convert back to a manual clutch..

I can't believe no one thought of this...I forgot to get simple.
How do you fix something. The simplest way you can..

It certainly would be easy enough to design a manual assembly to mount where the slave cylinder goes...Just a cover and a lever assembly to push the rod in...

One of you machinist types should build this.........

John
The LT clutch IS a manual clutch. The simple way to fix this is to use seals that don't fail. I have had 3 vehicles prior to my 07 LT that have had hydraulically actuated clutches (86 Jeep Comanche, 87 Kawasaki Voyager XII, 94 Chevy K1500). None have ever failed in any way. The Jeep was 21 years old and have 150+K miles when I finally had a junk dealer haul it away. The Voyager was 17 years old with nearly 50K when I sold it. The Chevy I still have and it is 16 years old with 116K miles.

So, the simple fix is to use seals like everyone else uses that will last 15+ years with no problems. It doesn't get any simpler than that!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2009, 3:28 am
Gold Supporter

I seen a Billet after market clutch slave around 150.00 somewhere,,,, anyone used this product, Also im on my second LT and every 30,000 i just replace the clutch slave,,, it is not that expensive...Matthew
post #20 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2009, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
So, the simple fix is to use seals like everyone else uses that will last 15+ years with no problems. It doesn't get any simpler than that!
I agree, the seals BMW uses are worthless. This is the same with the rear main engine seal. Mine only lasted about 45k.
As for the slave cylinder, didn't BMW come out with a revised design sometime during 2002? The slave failure on this should be less than the originals.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #21 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2009, 11:30 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
The LT clutch IS a manual clutch. The simple way to fix this is to use seals that don't fail. I have had 3 vehicles prior to my 07 LT that have had hydraulically actuated clutches (86 Jeep Comanche, 87 Kawasaki Voyager XII, 94 Chevy K1500). None have ever failed in any way. The Jeep was 21 years old and have 150+K miles when I finally had a junk dealer haul it away. The Voyager was 17 years old with nearly 50K when I sold it. The Chevy I still have and it is 16 years old with 116K miles.

None of the vehicle you mentioned have the throw out bearing IN the slave cylinder so your comparison is moot. It is not the seal but rather the bearing that goes and then it takes out the seal.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #22 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2009, 11:31 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

[QUOTE=mtrevelino]
As for the slave cylinder, didn't BMW come out with a revised design sometime during 2002? QUOTE]
The improved slave came out after April of 04.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #23 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2009, 2:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
None of the vehicle you mentioned have the throw out bearing IN the slave cylinder so your comparison is moot. It is not the seal but rather the bearing that goes and then it takes out the seal.
True, but the throw-out bearings haven't failed on these bikes either. My point remains: the problem isn't the use of hydraulic clutch actuation. It is simply a poorly designed hydraulic actuator. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water. I will take hydraulic actuation over a cable any day.l

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in