LT on lift with centerstand? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

LT on lift with centerstand?

I have a HF lift. I have a chock on the front. The bike is on the lift right now sitting on both tires. I have lot's off maintenance to do. To flush the clutch system it says to turn handlebars all the way right. I can't do that with chock. Does anyone put their LT on the lift on centerstand. I can remove the chock but unsure about safety of putting it up on center stand.
Thanks

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 6:33 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: LT on lift with centerstand?

I did mine on the lift the first two times but it was to scary. I now do it on the floor on the center stand & bungee cord the handle bars + tape plastic bags on the body. Also lay a razor blade on the bottom of the handle bar reservoirs so they don't spit any fluid out while your pumping the lever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScanningTest2 017.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	819.2 KB
ID:	25645  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:33 pm

I have a HF 1000# lift and put mine on the center stand all the time. I understand the scary issue since I almost ran my LT off the front of the lift the very first time I put it on and lifted it all the way up. When I went to lower it down, my lift lurched a little bit and it was enough to "bounce" the bike off the center stand and it rolled forward, with the front tire rolling off the front. It hung up on the center stand guard and did not go all the way off. But boy did it scare the S#%& out of me! What I now do is put it on the center stand then turn around the front tire chock and slide it against the tire. That way the front tire is all the way against the front when on the center and can't roll forward. I have also put 3 additional rings on each side to strap the bike down. I've now had my lift for about 18 months and it's been up and down many times, always on the center stand. I never have thought about having it on the side stand, thinking that it would not be centered and have the weight leaning too far over.

Other than that it's a great lift at a better price. I love mine and can not imagine doing my work on the garage floor.

John

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red

post #4 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 5:46 am

I do all my maintenance with the LT on the centerstand on a HF lift.
For everything except front wheel tire changes, I put the bike on the centerstand and then clamp the front tire with the lift's wheel clamp.

For front brake and clutch fluid changes I have found that I don't really have to turn the front end, nor to I have to rotate the perches to level the resevoirs as described in the service manual. I do use the razor blade trick to avoid the splashing and retrieve the razor blade with a clean magnetic retriever tool before the cover goes back on. I have found if I fill the resevoirs right up to just below the edge of the low side of the resevior and then carefully install the cover there is no spillage and when I am done the fluid level is close to the middle of the fluid indicator window on the resevoir. Doing it this way greatly simplifies the procedure and I've never had a problem with fluid levels.
post #5 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I did mine on the lift the first two times but it was to scary. I now do it on the floor on the center stand & bungee cord the handle bars + tape plastic bags on the body. Also lay a razor blade on the bottom of the handle bar reservoirs so they don't spit any fluid out while your pumping the lever.
A razor blade? Please explain. Thanks.
post #6 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
A razor blade? Please explain. Thanks.
He uses a razor blade; I use a paper towel or the reservoir cover -- the issue is that when you release the lever during manual lever-pumping bleeding, the fluid returning to the reservoir from the master cylinder feed hole at the bottom of the reservoir *shoots!* straight upward like a fountain, resulting in brake fluid all over the tupperware and windshield. The razor blade diverts the "spurt."

On one of my LT's, during a warranty brake job, the tech let the fountain erupt, and permanently marked the right side fixed clear wing (they did offer to replace it).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman

Good night Dave...that looks like some sort of a perverted Gynecologist's office! Just what are you doing to that motorcycle???

I have put many an LT on my lift using the LT's center stand and securing the bike by straps (properly placed) over the fork tubes, just above the front fender. never had any problems with stability yet. I just leave my front tire vise as wide open as it will go and the bars turn pretty well. The only time I use the straps from above is when I remove the center stand for a clutch replacement, etc. Just added security.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all, right now I have a HF chock that I bought extra on the lift. I will have to back the bike off some and remove the chock and put the vise back on. Good tip about the razor blade. I am also going to do the coolant change among other things.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #9 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
He uses a razor blade; I use a paper towel or the reservoir cover -- the issue is that when you release the lever during manual lever-pumping bleeding, the fluid returning to the reservoir from the master cylinder feed hole at the bottom of the reservoir *shoots!* straight upward like a fountain, resulting in brake fluid all over the tupperware and windshield. The razor blade diverts the "spurt."

On one of my LT's, during a warranty brake job, the tech let the fountain erupt, and permanently marked the right side fixed clear wing (they did offer to replace it).
Great idea. Thanks for the tip.
post #10 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Gold Supporter

Minor point, but the box knife type razor blade works well.
I tried a double sided blade it it just shoots through the slot in the middle when it shifts around.
jim H.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	razor.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	25654  

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #11 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Just remember to REMOVE the razor blade BEFORE putting the lid back on! DAMHIK

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #12 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 9:06 pm
Gold Supporter

me too, but I tend to remember longer when I have to do something twice....
Jim H.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #13 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Santa is bringing me a HF lift for Christmas. I was thinking about getting the chock too, but looks like a lot of the gurus don't use it ? Pros-Cons?

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 24 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:45 pm
Super Moderator

This is not a hijack . . .

Who needs a wheel chock or a scissors lift - I use a bike lift and no problems:

1. Taking off both wheels at the same time!!
2. Servicing all the brakes
3. Working on most of the LT parts that require simple maintenance
4. Spark plugs
5. Setting the valves
6. Dropping all tupperware

To ensure safety torquing major of bolts "off and on" are done with the bike on the ground or just inches in the air.

Not sure I could perform a transmission drop or a clutch job - will cross that bridge when I get there . . .

Bad news is that you cannot change the oil but you can change the transmission fluid
and there is no table to drop parts and hold tools . . .

We now return to your normal listening channel!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #15 of 24 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 10:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

I too have a HF lift. After the first few uses I removed the chock completely. I decided if the big girl wants to tip off the lift the chock wasn't going to do anything to stop it, except maybe ruin the front wheel. I tie the bike down as if it was being trailered, and if I'm not changing the oil or front tire, secure the centerstand to the front wheel as extra protection against rolling forward and off the stand.

Motor On ,/'

post #16 of 24 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 10:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Good night Dave...that looks like some sort of a perverted Gynecologist's office! Just what are you doing to that motorcycle???

I have put many an LT on my lift using the LT's center stand and securing the bike by straps (properly placed) over the fork tubes, just above the front fender. never had any problems with stability yet. I just leave my front tire vise as wide open as it will go and the bars turn pretty well. The only time I use the straps from above is when I remove the center stand for a clutch replacement, etc. Just added security.

Hi Jack,

at the risk of being accused of a thread hijack I just wanted to be clear about one thing: do I need to remove the center stand for my clutch replacement or not?

You say here that you do but from what I can see on your pictures posted on your thread titled "Pictures Of My Clutch Teardown" I can see clearly that the center stand has not been removed. I'm about to start this major work in a week and I just wanted to be sure I start on the right path.

Thanks,

Eno
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clutch pictures group 2  rear tire removal to exhuast 008.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	25657   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch pictures group 2  rear tire removal to exhuast 010.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	25658  
post #17 of 24 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuchero
Hi Jack,

at the risk of being accused of a thread hijack I just wanted to be clear about one thing: do I need to remove the center stand for my clutch replacement or not?

You say here that you do but from what I can see on your pictures posted on your thread titled "Pictures Of My Clutch Teardown" I can see clearly that the center stand has not been removed. I'm about to start this major work in a week and I just wanted to be sure I start on the right path.

Thanks,

Eno
I noticed and just wanted to say that the cup cake pan is a great idea for screws, etc...

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #18 of 24 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
I noticed and just wanted to say that the cup cake pan is a great idea for screws, etc...
Wonder what his SO will say when he tries to return it???

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #19 of 24 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 5:06 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack

Well Jack all I can say is I'm sure being a Clergyman like you gets you to the hospitals and doctors office's much more than me and being I've never been to a gynecologist I'll just have to take your word for it.

I also put my bike on the centerstand all the time on my lift I just don't jack it up like that anymore.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #20 of 24 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
I have a HF lift. I have a chock on the front. The bike is on the lift right now sitting on both tires. I have lot's off maintenance to do. To flush the clutch system it says to turn handlebars all the way right. I can't do that with chock. Does anyone put their LT on the lift on centerstand. I can remove the chock but unsure about safety of putting it up on center stand.
Thanks
Click on this website and you will see some things I did with my lift. Using it for an LT you do not need to do all of this. When I first got it I had an LT and used it with the front vise but this is much safer.

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/q...reightLift.flv

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #21 of 24 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 1:26 am

Dan I'll stick with my HF lift but a thousand thank yous for the picture of your green LT. I saw one during a ride last summer and have been trying for months to explain to my wife how gorgeous that green is. BTW I don't particularly care for green, preferring blue. I will make an exception for that green!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
This is not a hijack . . .

Who needs a wheel chock or a scissors lift - I use a bike lift and no problems:

1. Taking off both wheels at the same time!!
2. Servicing all the brakes
3. Working on most of the LT parts that require simple maintenance
4. Spark plugs
5. Setting the valves
6. Dropping all tupperware

To ensure safety torquing major of bolts "off and on" are done with the bike on the ground or just inches in the air.

Not sure I could perform a transmission drop or a clutch job - will cross that bridge when I get there . . .

Bad news is that you cannot change the oil but you can change the transmission fluid
and there is no table to drop parts and hold tools . . .

We now return to your normal listening channel!!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #22 of 24 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 12:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuchero
Hi Jack,

Thanks,

Eno
I suppose you could leave it on but it is bolted to the tranny and that has to drop down to clear the frame for removal. Better to block the rear sub frame and remove it to make the transmission lighter and easier to handle. It is only four bolts.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #23 of 24 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
Click on this website and you will see some things I did with my lift. Using it for an LT you do not need to do all of this. When I first got it I had an LT and used it with the front vise but this is much safer.

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/q...reightLift.flv
Thanks the Jpeg of bike lift.
Just bought one here in the UK looks exactly the same as yours and I was thinking I'm going to need some kind of platform either side to assist getting the LT on and off the Lift.
Now I have a good idea how to make the platform .
Thanks

Dave
post #24 of 24 Old Dec 17th, 2009, 8:07 pm

OK...here is a better pic (not mine), but a clear illustration of how to lift the frame of the bike up so the tranny can be removed....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Repair2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	25671  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in