Never thought this would happen - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 10th, 2009, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Never thought this would happen

I rode the LT and did some errands today. A little cool, but the wind was the larger problem. When I parked the bike, I made sure it had enough lean so that if there were to be a gust (like some recently) that it would not get blown over. After all, we had gusts over 25 mph. Only a day ago we had gusts over 45 mph.

After finishing, I parked the bike in the carport, a 2.5 car model that is closed on all but one end. You could say it is a garage, just no doors. I went on out to the shop and was working when I heard something hit the ground. I walked to the doorway, looked, but could not see anything out of place. I went back to working when a few minutes later I heard a louder crash. I went and look and was quite surprised to see my LT laying on its side. I had been blown over by the wind while in a carport. When I went up to it I learned what the earlier crash was, my helmet.

Now there was one more item that contributed to the LT going over, a sheet of 1/4" plywood that had been setting beside it. The wind caught the plywood, blew it over against the LT, then a later gusts blew it and the LT over.

I went and got it up (no damage) and parked it a little differently, crossways to the plywood and in gear. But do keep in mind, a strong gust can blow an LT over. One more item to think about when there are high winds about.

tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 10th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Re: Never thought this would happen

wow!.. sounds like you needs to add some more farkels to weigh the bike down with ...rofl
Im glad to hear there was no damage

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #3 of 7 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 9:23 am

If wind gusts are a common occurrence, I suppose you could install recessed tie downs on the deck and use them to secure the bike. Similar to what we used to tie down planes along the runway. Just a thought.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited by Tracus; Dec 11th, 2009 at 9:46 am. Reason: misspell

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:11 am

Lesson learned this spring when a storm hit... I had just pulled of the Highway and went to a gas station. Winds blew at plus 40 mph, and stupid me parked sideways to the wind. A suburban blocked me from the brunt of the wind and stayed until the storm passed. I watched as the bike rocked on the side stand fully loaded with baggage. I learned, in this case with out incident, to park on the back side of the building to protect it from wind gusts. I was lucky it didnt topple over.
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:13 am

Yes, keep her nose into the wind, park up nose up hill, park in gear!

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:35 am

ALMOST learned the hard way last week. Took a nice ride on a very twisty back road along the Columbia River, Oregon side The road is snugged up against the side of a mountain and takes one to numerous beautiful waterfalls and a gorgeous overlook of the Gorge. The overlook is called Vista House and sits on a promontory several hundred feet above the river. Pulled into Vista house and tried to find a place to park out of the wind. It was about all I could do to keep the old gal on her two tires. A real leg strain. Took about 15 secs to realize the only way I was going to keep her upright was to get back on the road.

Direct head wind, 40+ mph with gusts going out and the same except tailwind coming back. I knew it was windy but because I was against the side of the hill I didn't realize how bad it was blowing.

For S&G's I reset the BCS mpg function going home. For the 74 mile return trip I got 64.3 mpg!

The wind she were a blowing! Scared the crap out of me. If the winds had been crosswinds instead of head/tailwinds I would have been in real trouble.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 1:57 am

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, did I mention ALWAYS park the bike in gear. As mentione, if possible, park the bike facing into the wind if not, park it on the side stand with the wind hitting the bike from the opposite side of the side stand.

I want to die young...at a ripe old age.

Several Triumphs (which I still love)
one Beezer 441
Harley Sportster (which I still hate and was ecstatic to see go)
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2005 LT- traded for deer (dead after the introduction to the LT- both totaled)
2005 LT- sold for a 2008 Gold Wing GL1800
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in