I redlined it - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

I redlined it

Hereís a dumb one. Some yahoo was revving his mustang next to me at a light. I was in the middle lane; he was to my left. To my right a souped up Hummer caught on and started getting into the act, revving aggressively. I looked up and it was wide open ahead, a nice straight away. Itís just the three of us on the white line; what the heck.

The light turns green and off the kid goes, hard, with the tired Ďol Mustang chirpping the gears and putting out a nice puff of white smoke on the shifts. The Hummer, also tricked out, believe it or not was in the action. God knows what he has done to the motor; it had huge wheels and it was racing! I was impressed. I flew along effortlessly, just hanging slightly back and with a smile, taking it all in. It seemed I could smoke these boys were I inclined, but I'm not the type to troll for a race. I was on my way to pick up my daughter. Getting into something like this was the last thing on my mind at 43! But I confess there was a thrill just being in the middle of this testosterone fest.

In the fun of it all, I soon realized that the bike (02 LT) was bucking in and out of power. I looked down, and holy sh*t, I forgot to shift! The thing was pegged on the tach. I threw it up into 4th, bolted ahead and went on my way.

Point of post: It seems many, if not nearly all, of us are anxiety prone with these bikes and seek affirmation on this site. So please tell me I did no harm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: I redlined it

Probably just the rev limiter in the fuel control (at least I think it has one) causing the surging.
Electronic fuel control engines typically have them.
Jim H.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #3 of 28 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:30 pm

All that I can say, is that if you damaged yours this one time, mine's been damaged 50 or 60 times now. And I plan on damaging it even more in the very near future. Fun, ain't it?

post #4 of 28 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:59 pm

The fat lady protects herself with an electronic rev limiter. You just hit that, like many of us have. No worry. It is surprising when it happens, but just back off a little and keep going.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 28 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 11:17 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

I hit the rev limiter all the time... I get rolling and can't here the engine and look down at the tach and oops I need to shift.

P.S. - hitting the limiter ensures that the cobs have been blow out the exhaust pipe... LOL

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Jim, Frank, and David and everyone else on this wonderful site.

Looks like I got away with one. I did the brown wire snip after studying this site to give it more rpms on take off, and now I gave it too many rpms on take off. In the back of the mind, you wonder if you've messed up.

Like I said about the anxiety level, you read all the posts on this site and think something is sure to go wrong, that the LT is some delicate pure-bred kitten that constantly needs an upscale vet. On the other hand, this is my first bike, period, and it has been indestructible. My only previous riding experience was to hop on a dirt bike a couple of times when I was 12; that's it. I listened to Victor at the Boerne shop explain the bike to me and rode this girl 6 hrs home from the dealer.

I have made every mistake imaginable, including dropping it too many times to count, whoops. Twice from hitting the front brake while turning the wheel right on a stop-- don't do that-- twice while trying to make a left uturn in the neighborhood street and the other times while trying put it up in the garage. One of the times I snapped off the peg.

And now I've redlined it. I've had this thing a year and a half and have put about 7k on it. It has been patient, does all I can ask, and ironically is a great first bike. Learning tonight about the rev limiter, it seems the LT was engineered for contingencies brought on by dopes like me. I love my LT.
post #7 of 28 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 8:37 am

Garage

I know what you are talkin about. I had a K1200RS. On my first ride, I took it to a road with some long sweepers and some tight twisties. I came to the sweepers first , I didn't know how well the bike would handel so I just put it in third gear and started out slow. I would lean into a curve and at the apex roll on some throttle, next curve lean and roll on throttle. After four or five curves I wondered how fast I was goin. I look at the speedo,, 100MPH!!!,,, 9,000RPM!!! I didn't even know! That bike was so fast, so smooth, so quiet, I sold it. I did try to ride it within the speed limit, but it just wanted to GO!! It was goin to get me in trouble. Either with a LEO or I would get into a curve to fast and not know it till it was to late.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #8 of 28 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 8:50 am

In typical female fashion the lady was telling you to pay attention to her not the rear ends up the road shame on you. My lady does that from time to time with me as well no harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog
Hereís a dumb one. Some yahoo was revving his mustang next to me at a light. I was in the middle lane; he was to my left. To my right a souped up Hummer caught on and started getting into the act, revving aggressively. I looked up and it was wide open ahead, a nice straight away. Itís just the three of us on the white line; what the heck.

The light turns green and off the kid goes, hard, with the tired Ďol Mustang chirpping the gears and putting out a nice puff of white smoke on the shifts. The Hummer, also tricked out, believe it or not was in the action. God knows what he has done to the motor; it had huge wheels and it was racing! I was impressed. I flew along effortlessly, just hanging slightly back and with a smile, taking it all in. It seemed I could smoke these boys were I inclined, but I'm not the type to troll for a race. I was on my way to pick up my daughter. Getting into something like this was the last thing on my mind at 43! But I confess there was a thrill just being in the middle of this testosterone fest.

In the fun of it all, I soon realized that the bike (02 LT) was bucking in and out of power. I looked down, and holy sh*t, I forgot to shift! The thing was pegged on the tach. I threw it up into 4th, bolted ahead and went on my way.

Point of post: It seems many, if not nearly all, of us are anxiety prone with these bikes and seek affirmation on this site. So please tell me I did no harm!

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #9 of 28 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Well, am I glad no one of you lives within less than 300 miles from me, so the chances I may endup buying your used bike one day are practically none.

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 k1200LT

'03 KRS sold 2006
'04 R1150RT sold 2006
'03 K1200GT sold 2009
post #10 of 28 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 1:06 pm

I thought hitting the Rev Limiter WAS the shift point?

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42į 41.663' N / 73į 38.651' W

post #11 of 28 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 1:40 pm
Super Moderator

That's the point of the rev limiter, to help avoid doing serious damage. So I'm sure you're just fine.

But it was a helluva lot of fun, wasn't it???

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #12 of 28 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Hitting the rev limiter to check and make sure it is working is part of each 6000 mile checkup..... and some of us like to maintain our bikes on the short mileage side.....

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #13 of 28 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:03 pm

I'm a lot older than 43, but it still gives a kind of tingle in the groin when I let her rip. Boys will be boys.
post #14 of 28 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
I'm a lot older than 43, but it still gives a kind of tingle in the groin when I let her rip. Boys will be boys.
That second gear wheelie is a hoot too...... not that I have ever reached it.......MUsta been the music on the radio.....

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #15 of 28 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 12:10 am

i have a 05 LT that i just got 3 months back, and took my 16 year old son out for a nice ride, when i had CBR600 pulled up next to us at a light, so i thought lets see what this lt has to offer..... That second gear wheelie was GREAT.. i keep up with the CBR !!! gave him a good run... love my LT !!!

Jack Bland III

2005 BMW K1200LT
1993 Honda CBR900RR
post #16 of 28 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 7:27 am

A kid on a crotch rocket passed me on the way home the other day. I caught up with him when a car slowed to turn left in front of us. He romped on his rocket and we were out in the country so I romped on my LT. He ducked down and I lowered my windscreen. He pulled away from me of course but he could still see me behind him when I crossed the creek bridge doing 130 mph..............Even at 61 I have a need for speed.......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #17 of 28 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 10:09 am

Sometimes it's fun to take the tach and see how far it will go.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #18 of 28 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 10:43 am

You won't hurt a thing...

By the way,,, Do that in first.. Leave the throttle pinned on the rev limiter and shift into second, dump the clutch and see what happens....

She will lift the front end...Not far though..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #19 of 28 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 10:56 pm Thread Starter

John,

Far from making me hold my hat in my hand, stare at my shoes, and apologize for my redline transgression, you and the last few posts make me want to do it again and again!

When you say "dump the clutch," what does that mean??
post #20 of 28 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 11:10 pm

Let it out "quickly"...

Mostly just kidding.. I wouldn't abuse an LT that way....

She's a pretty spirited animal when you let her go all out...

Smooth shifts and high revs are what make the LT fly..

Proper operation on the twisties is 5-8k using the engine for braking and acceleration.

She loves the high revs... That little vibration you'll feel at 4.5K revs is the LT's way of telling you "Let's Go !"

Have fun..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #21 of 28 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 11:30 pm

"That little vibration you'll feel at 4.5K revs is the LT's way of telling you "Let's Go !"

It's funny, but I've learned to really enjoy that little feature. Lets you know right where you're at without glancing at the tach. My truck does it at 2,200 rpms, and I like that too. On the other hand, my Harley does it from idle to rev limiter, so not a clue without looking.
post #22 of 28 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 10:50 am

The other day my wife was actually looking at the GPS "Max Speed" indicator, and asked why ""it says 130 mph???"

I blamed the rev limiter.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #23 of 28 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 7:15 pm

Went riding a while back with a group, one of the guys was riding a 650 Suzuki crotch rocket.

We got to playing.

I had him on the top end, he was sort of embarassed when he had it all wound tight as it would go, laying down on it and as I passed him waved to him with my throttle hand. Cruise works way up there too.

He did have me coming off of the lights but he never got more than 60' or so ahead of me.

Yup, boys will be boys.

You can tell the men from the boys by the size and/or cost of their toys.

B D R
post #24 of 28 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 8:01 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Went riding a while back with a group, one of the guys was riding a 650 Suzuki crotch rocket.

We got to playing.

I had him on the top end, he was sort of embarassed when he had it all wound tight as it would go, laying down on it and as I passed him waved to him with my throttle hand. Cruise works way up there too.

He did have me coming off of the lights but he never got more than 60' or so ahead of me.

Yup, boys will be boys.

Roger that Gunny

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #25 of 28 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 9:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny

We got to playing.

Yup, boys will be boys.

I'm not sure I'd consider either of the 650s to be crotch rockets. And if it was the GSX-R600, you wouldn't have been waving! :-)

The LT is a very nice performing touring bike, but it ain't no crotch rocket threat.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #26 of 28 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Well, shame on you!! Don't ever do that again.

Next time beat both their butts & let 'em know it ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #27 of 28 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 1:20 am

Talking Re: I redlined it

"It seemed I could smoke these boys were I inclined, but I'm not the type to troll for a race. I was on my way to pick up my daughter. Getting into something like this was the last thing on my mind at 43!"

But you hit the rev limiter in third gear?? You can't un-ring that bell my friend. Me thinks you were in that race even if you weren't laying on the tank. I learned recently how much better the LT responds at high RPMs. It is a blast! Enjoy.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #28 of 28 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Next time be careful - you can bend the needle!

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in