Clutch is removed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Clutch is removed

I've just gotten the clutch out and have a question.

There is fluid in the slave cylinder area as expected and also oil in the clutch bell housing. I can't tell if it's transmission fluid, engine oil or brake fluid from the slave cylinder leaking.
What all should I be looking to replace? Is there a replacement kit for the slave cylinder or do I need an entirely new one?

Thanks, Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Clutch is removed

Howdy..

Try this..

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...tch+parts+list

Yes, replace ALL SEALS while in there.

also from that post..

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...chmentid=17780

Last edited by cfell; Dec 7th, 2009 at 3:42 pm.
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 3:44 pm

BTW.. you know how important "cert. in type" is... how about giving us some info on your scoot so we can help better?

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Replace everything while you're in there, clutch, clutch slave, rear main seal, trans seal and drill slave weep hole.
Check out www.beemerboneyard.com for clutch slave http://beemerboneyard.com/21522333433n.html and 12/24 service kits and oils.

See this for how it's done,
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50379

Good Luck

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Garage

Oh, now you just had to go an done it didn't you? All the parts inside their are made of unobtainium and the case is pressurized to 10,000 PPM. Now what cha gonna do?

As the above have stated and waiting on the response of the true king of wenches, or was it wrenches? (John aka jzeiler) source your parts (max BMW, seems to be the favorite) and replace the rear main seal. Either do it yourself or have the stealer replace the seals on the Gearbox. Unless there is damage to the slave, you could get by with re-using it, but as it is a royal PITA to replace, why not? Max or BB for the parts but never the stealer (regular ones) If you need the part numbers, let us know that you can figure out the search function and we'll be happy to ridicule and humiliate you endlessly...

(its just our way of saying we care! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fllyboy
I've just gotten the clutch out and have a question.

There is fluid in the slave cylinder area as expected and also oil in the clutch bell housing. I can't tell if it's transmission fluid, engine oil or brake fluid from the slave cylinder leaking.
What all should I be looking to replace? Is there a replacement kit for the slave cylinder or do I need an entirely new one?

Thanks, Glenn

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

My bike has 27,000 miles on it . The housing cover and pressure plate don't look worn at all. The clutch plate is coated with clutch fluid and possibly transmission fluid.
I'm thinking I only need to replace the clutch plate, diaphragm spring, slave cylinder and all the seals. I've drilled the weep holes in the bell housing and the slave cylinder housing.
Would this be the way to go?
Glenn
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:01 pm

What you have already planned sounds about right.
If you do a lot of short hops or use your starter motor a lot. Think about changing the brushes in it and then there is the starter sprag clutch. The list will never end.
Don't forget new gaskets for the exhaust header. While your at it, Adjust the valves so you'll need a new valve cover gasket. See what I mean, The list will never end......

Steve
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 12:36 am

Garage

Make sure you mark the clutch parts coming off as they are balanced 1/3 each of the three. Unless you are putting on new parts, just mark them and put them back the same way... Don't ask me how I know this.... The valves will have to be checked at some point, most do not need adjustment, maybe you'll get lucky. As for the valve cover gasket, reuse the dam thing if its not damaged. Your going in the right direction, keep your head down and take it one process at a time and you'll be there before you know it. (i.e. wheel off, done. drive shaft, done, swing arm, done. etc...) To aid in the speed of the removal, I took the final drive and swing arm off in one piece. I had to disassemble it to get it back on, but no real biggie. Your call.
IIRC- Starters do not go, unless they have been abused...K.I.S.S...is a good moto to live by!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in