*Pass it forward* moments. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:18 am Thread Starter

*Pass it forward* moments.

I decided to post this in the forum from which all others were born, rather than the Bike Talk forum (where it mighta fit).

Y'all are aware of Jack Homesley's gallant offer to put Tony A.'s beautiful blue LT back on the road - following a stop-running event during a ride that Tony and son were on. The finished product is shown in this thread. Major kudos for Jack!! I know he'd rather I not say that, butt "that's the way it is" in this 'pass it forward' culture a lot of us live in.

I'd like to add another event that has gone unnoticed except for the local yokels around my 'hood, and Curtis and Dave and the other attendees at CharlieVT's Final Drive tech session month or so ago.

Ole Toad's final drive went south this past summer's end. I posted about that; noting that during a routine lube change, a coupla fingernail clipping-sized silver bits were on the magnet!! I opted to complete the fluid change and ride ole Toad for a few miles and change fluid again and see what happens. Went to the weekly Friday am coffee klatch - no problem. Rode another three miles to shop at a Lowe's and noticed some fluid splatter on the rear rim. Opted to limp it home (maybe 12 miles or so), butt the chatter and clatter were enough that I parked ole Toad in our storage unit, which was on the route.

And just as a side remark in someone else's thread, I lamented the fact that it was the third time the thing has failed; this time taking out the seal and leaking most of the lube out. Well, lemme tell ya about a shocker of a PM I received shortly thereafter! Yep - another *Pass it Forward* event in the making. Curtis Middleton (CharlieVT) up in Vermont asked if I'd like a free 'fix' to ole Toad's unit, or a swap out for a spare he had already repaired!!! I wuz bumfuzzled, to say the least; and thought WOW --- (well, actually, I didn't know what to think!!). I didn't wanna hurt his feelings by declining a most gracious offer, and if I accepted, I didn't want Curtis to be out one cent because of ole Toad's 'event'. During several PMs which followed, we came to an understanding and I packed up the FD and prepaid for return shipping and off it went to VT. After the repair (which involved ordering some parts from Germany, in order to finish it up after the tech session), Curtis sent me a parts listing of everything, along with the calculations he used to correctly install the new grooved bearing, and shims for the preloading. Those calculations were matched against the ones that were used during the previous repair here locally. By all figures, it is felt that the earlier repair was ?probably? the reason for the third failure; as the calculations were not a close match at all. Curtis is way more confident in his figures, and his installation process - bolstered by the fact that Dave (Saddleman - who is a NASCAR engine builder, I think) had brought along some major measuring devices to be used during the tech session (kudos to Dave for that generosity) and that helped Curtis confirm that his repair methods are correct and lasting. So much so, that guess what his warranty period is for ole Toad? Yup, another shocker!!!

Anyway, to wrap this up, I think all is square 'tween Curtis and ole Toad and ole Toad is most appreciative of this *Pass it Forward* affliction that shows up on the forums over and over. Me and ole Toad would welcome the opportunity to provide our own *Pass it Forward* event in the future, and wanna thank all those that do so.

Y'all have the bestest of the Merry Christmas and Happy New Years Holiday blessings. Thanks Curtis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 4:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: *Pass it forward* moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
So much so, that guess what his warranty period is for ole Toad? Yup, another shocker!!!
Having had the personal pleasure of working a FD transaction with Curtis, I wouldn't doubt that he delivered with a MUCH better warranty than that of the manufacturer. I believe my old FD is still serving its owner very well.
Good on ya again, Curtis.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 22 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 5:25 pm

Very honestly....ain't it good to just hear good news from time to time? I think so....

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 22 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 5:33 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I stopped at some souvenir shops looking for a toad to stick on your FD but I didn't find any.

I just checked my FD last week it has 88,000 miles on it. The pre load is .0035 from the factory. The spec. is .002 to .0039. The bearing feels fine. I haven't decided to replace the bearing yet. If I do I'll take the bearing apart for inspection.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 22 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 6:30 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Great write up Dick. This is just another reason Curtis was awarded the "Master Mechanics" award at CCR 2009. I still go back to the saying that John Spencer came up with "Cause That's What We Do" I've learned so much from the great folks here & I return what I've learned every chance I get.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 22 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Very honestly....ain't it good to just hear good news from time to time? I think so....
Amen Brother!!!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #7 of 22 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Great work by you all and very generous indeed. The people I have met here is probably the biggest reason I still ride a BMW.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 22 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 7:29 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Have to say Tracus and I had the pleasure to meet and ride with Curtis and his lovely wife this past summer. It was a wonderful time meeting this couple for the first time. Just fantastic people who shared a good bit of time with us, shared some stops with us we probably would not have seen, and rode us a long way towards our next destination

I was going to haul a new final drive up to have him check but decided I would wait. I have way more faith in his technique then any BMW shop.

All you have to do is meet him and it becomes apparent. Then add in he enjoyed the challenge of arriving at a repeatable procedure for the FD.

I was very pleased and happy for him to read that he received the award from CCR .

It was a real pleasure to ride with him also, even him two up, I could not stick with him all the time. He can ride an LT for sure. Good thing he knows a thing or two about FD

I wonder if BMW really reads these Forums? If you do BMW, call Curtis, he can help you guys out a bit on this situation. I am sure if you flew him and his wife over, first class and Five Star, give him number 1 off the new LT line, he could train your guys to set them properly on the new ones

Pay it Forward is a great creed, or conduct, or just plain manners way I was raised. Nice to see it still remains.

I am in the Anonymous Book, the GS-911 registry, and if called upon I will do my best.

Dick, life is good, and truly nice of you to share one of the reasons with us.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 22 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey
Amen Brother!!!
x2...........Great write up Dick; and to Curtis, whom I have P.M.'d a time or two myself; looking forward to meeting all you guys some time...............will be stopping in as usual and hoping from warm sunny western Wyoming that you all have great and merry Christmas and New Year season...................Keep the Faith ...........all of you................Jim
post #10 of 22 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Hi, all, let me join the love fest as well.

Curtis repaired my FD, too! A gentleman and a mechanic!

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, he did find that my drive was not shimmed correctly, either.

Thanks a lot! Robert.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #11 of 22 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 11:46 am

Thank you Dick and I have to add that posts like these are why I am a member of this group and Dick, you need to be added to this list of "Pay it forward" as well.

Dick has sent me "Gratis" some things I was looking for on this site without asking for anything but a "Pay it forward" if I have something of interest to another member.

Kudos to all mentioned here and the blessings of all the Holiday Spirit be with you all.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #12 of 22 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Dick Largen
&
Jack Homesley

Without a doubt two of my favorite guys on this site. Great story, Dick. My best to ya both!

David
post #13 of 22 Old Dec 7th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Thanks Dick for the post, guys like you, Jack, and Curtis are what make this community more than just a website about BMW's, it is a real family!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #14 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 6:56 am

To put it simply “We Take Care Of Our Own”

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #15 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:53 am

It's stories like this that people do not hear about. Thanks Dick for the writeup.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #16 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 11:17 am
Gold Supporter

Great write up Dick. I agree with the good to hear good news too!!!

There are so many people on this list who have helped me (with my special skills with tools I need all the help I can get ) with my scoots, both locally, at at CCR. It really is a brotherhood we share and if there is help needed, all one need do is ask.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #17 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Can someone point me in the right direction to find Curtis' write up on the FD bearing installation with shimming? I've searched about a dozen titles / key words and haven't been able to come across it.

Thanks!
post #18 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Can someone point me in the right direction to find Curtis' write up on the FD bearing installation with shimming? I've searched about a dozen titles / key words and haven't been able to come across it.

Thanks!
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41063

try this
dan
post #19 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 11:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin

Thanx Dan and Thanx again Curtis..................great VDO...........Jim
post #20 of 22 Old Dec 8th, 2009, 11:25 pm

=)
post #21 of 22 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 12:29 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Haven't seen this one before.. Curtis makes it looks so easy a caveman could do it...Thanks!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #22 of 22 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 6:51 am

Ok....I know something is wrong with my mental state. I enjoyed the video on the final drive rebuild more than most movies I've seen. Great story line with moments of suspense and action. This "movie" is a keeper! Thanks Curtis!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in