Transmission Input Shaft Bearing Failure On 04 with 35K... $5300 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 11:25 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Transmission Input Shaft Bearing Failure On 04 with 35K... $5300

I'm not sure how often this happens but this has cost me having my bike for nearly a half a year fighting with the warranty company and I now still get to shell out another grand for a new clutch as a result. I could go with a used gear box and save $2500 over what the cost of a new gear box runs. I'm not sure the SHOP would go for that. So it's either shell out a grand or possibly pick up a check for $1500.

In either case it really sucks!

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 001.JPG
Views:	638
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	25563   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 002.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	25564   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 003.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	25565   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 004.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	25566   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 005.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	25567  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MIKE tranny 006.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	25568  

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Transmission Input Shaft Bearing Failure On 04 with 35K... $5300

Oh... that's $8,600 in repair costs over my 7,000 miles of ownership over the last two years...... But who's counting right?!?

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 8:02 am

Re: Transmission Input Shaft Bearing Failure On 04 with 35K... $5300

8600 bucks in repair costs? OMG! well, i hope the warranty covered this right?

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 8:25 am

that's what it costed me to change the transmission on my MBZ.
But in your case I would just take my time and do it myself for a couple hundred $$.
Good luck.
Dominique
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 8:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
Oh... that's $8,600 in repair costs over my 7,000 miles of ownership over the last two years...... But who's counting right?!?
Sometimes it is just better to cut your losses and change bikes. Even with new trans. your bike is not worth as much as you have put into it. But....I assume I am preaching to the chior.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:59 am

Tuff call there Ghaison..... You could look at it like this.. Tranny problems solved and a warranty on the tranny that is separate from your standard warranty, right? (if they did it)

No warranty on doing it yourself, but gain lots of experience points by doing so, yes?
I look at it as what can you afford to put in, how will you gain if any in todays market..

It is a buyers market now..not good for those of us wanting to part with our rides..
__________________________________________________ ________________________
Laffing, this is coming from a guy that bought (do not tease me- all that could be afforded in the day!) a CHevette, GMs economical Vette in the day, WHen the tire blew at 400 miles on the clock, a bell should have gone off in the brain.. WHat a piece of shinola.. then the tranny at 26k, timing belt at 40k and then again at 70K... bearings and clutch somewhere between all this... I put loads of money in this thing and got nothing for it... I was HAPPY i got 500 on the trade in.....
Piece of poo from the beginning..but I never really liked it tho- so my emotional strings were different..

Back to the bike thing...
Its emotional and financial...not good to invest this and get neither...

ONe hand do it yourself and get experience points, save money... Might be a bonding experience....

might even like doing it ...

Cant tell you what would be best for your situation,,,,, good luck on whatever your decision is..

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 3:20 pm

Garage

Having just (two months ago) replaced my gear box. Going through the process of sorting out the tools needed, sourcing the parts and more importantly gleaning every piece of knowledge from this site and others, IMHO you are getting hosed on the price. While I originally considered the stealer as an option the HIGH price made me complete the project myself (with local help) If I had it to do over again, I would have repaired my original gear box at Rubber Chicken Racing, They seem to have a great reputation and after speaking with the owner I can understand why. Instead I sourced the GB from ebay at a higher price, becasue i wanted it now. Even then it was less than a grand for a '01 with 24K (so they say) the remainder of the parts needed totaled less than $1500. A week of working two-three hours a day and it was done. Runns great and I did it myself!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haughty
Tuff call there Ghaison..... You could look at it like this.. Tranny problems solved and a warranty on the tranny that is separate from your standard warranty, right? (if they did it)

No warranty on doing it yourself, but gain lots of experience points by doing so, yes?
I look at it as what can you afford to put in, how will you gain if any in todays market..

It is a buyers market now..not good for those of us wanting to part with our rides..
__________________________________________________ ________________________
Laffing, this is coming from a guy that bought (do not tease me- all that could be afforded in the day!) a CHevette, GMs economical Vette in the day, WHen the tire blew at 400 miles on the clock, a bell should have gone off in the brain.. WHat a piece of shinola.. then the tranny at 26k, timing belt at 40k and then again at 70K... bearings and clutch somewhere between all this... I put loads of money in this thing and got nothing for it... I was HAPPY i got 500 on the trade in.....
Piece of poo from the beginning..but I never really liked it tho- so my emotional strings were different..

Back to the bike thing...
Its emotional and financial...not good to invest this and get neither...

ONe hand do it yourself and get experience points, save money... Might be a bonding experience....

might even like doing it ...

Cant tell you what would be best for your situation,,,,, good luck on whatever your decision is..

All good points...
I'm not sure about the warranty on a new trans and clutch... might be worth it though we are talking about a $2500 swing one way or the other...
I have several mods on my bike.
Radar detector, screamer, laser jammer, new z-screen, Rhemus titanium exhaust, gps, HID, Leather heated Gel seats, ipod ice interface, luggage rack with LED brake light, lowered pegs, etc....
It really wouldn't pay to sell it but it sure doesn't pay to ride it either.....LOL

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #9 of 9 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Is this a sealed bearing? With little to no load on it? Just seems so ridiculous.

I should also mention that I did the first repair myself because the warranty company screwed me. It cost me $3260 bucks less the the stealorship.

I would have done so on this one as well but I wanted the warranty company to pay...

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in