MOTRONIC failure due to HID? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

MOTRONIC failure due to HID?

After 6 weeks eventually I've got my LT back! You might remember that I lost power whilst I was riding and that the bike was recovered to BMW.

Diagnosis: 1.Motronic failure. Control Unit replaced
2. Loom burnt out in main loom. Repaired and re-loomed

The joke: £1324

The culprit: BMW believes it was the HID kit. In fact one of the red wires from the kit is melted. BMW has removed the HID kit and will not give any warranty if it is replaced even with a new kit.

As many of you, previously I had a cqlight kit, but when failed I replaced in September with a Novablue http://www.novablue.co.uk/shop/shop....tion=full&id=7.
It is of note that although it's described as a motorcycle kit, came in an automotive dual package(but with 1 kit only).

OPINIONS: has any of you had similar problem?
can the HID kit be the culprit as suggested by BMW?
the HID kit is under warranty, could Novablue be held liable?(the unit is plug&play type so they would not say I did not fit it properly?).
I have read that some automotive HID kits can draw in excess of 20A for the first few seconds, but this kits states a startup current of 7A)

Thanks in anticipation for your opinions, Andoni

K1200LT '00
Honda Silverwing fjs600
ST1300 Pan European
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 12:55 pm

Re: MOTRONIC failure due to HID?

If you wired it directly to the bikes lighting harness the stock fuse should have blown before any wire damage occurred. So, I would say that it is highly unlikely the hid is the source of your problems unless it was wired without an inline fuse. However, If your hid wiring was loose or corroded at any of the connections that could cause heat build up and eventually melt the wires before blowing the fuse and if these melted wires contacted the wires for your motronic it could short it out. You will have an uphill battle against either BMW or the Hid manufacturer without having the burnt wires to prove fault.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 4 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
If you wired it directly to the bikes lighting harness the stock fuse should have blown before any wire damage occurred. So, I would say that it is highly unlikely the hid is the source of your problems unless it was wired without an inline fuse. However, If your hid wiring was loose or corroded at any of the connections that could cause heat build up and eventually melt the wires before blowing the fuse and if these melted wires contacted the wires for your motronic it could short it out. You will have an uphill battle against either BMW or the Hid manufacturer without having the burnt wires to prove fault.
Full agreement.

First of all, under normal circumstances, the wiring for the HID kit should have nothing to do with the main wiring harness. The kits I know (I've had both CQ and VME) either pick up the connection inside of headlamp shell or tap the cable going to the headlight socket. Nothing even goes back that far into the bike, to reach the main harness.

In general, the HID lamps do not have separate power leads running from battery, because they draw less current than the original halogens and thus can take power from the existing wiring for the headlights. I assume here that your HID lights were replacements for the headlights, not additional auxiliary lights.

You really need to have a look at the old wiring to be able to determine what happened and to prevent a similar occurrence in the future.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:01 am

I have the CQ HID's on both High and Low Beams. The fuse on the high has blown more than twice. I suspect it is from flipping it (hi Beam) on and off many times. Of course, that wont be a problem now that the shift fork is jammed in second gear. You'ld think that I could get a few miles on the bike before it broke.

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in