Final Drive Cost (Not Really) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 4:49 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Final Drive Cost (Not Really)

I thought having a final drive rebuild sounded expensive until I visited my local Dodge dealer yesterday. My Dakota pickup stopped blowing hot air and it needs a new "air blend door" up under the dash. It's a small plastic door that controls how much outside air comes into the HVAC system when it's running. $2000.00. WHAT?????? Yes, but that's almost entirely labor to remove and reinstall the dash, etc. I have never been a big believer in service contracts but when I bought this truck new I took one. Wow. $100.00 deductible and I'm home free. It's gonna be a good Christmas after all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Re: Final Drive Cost (Not Really)

Yup. We riders do lose perspective at times. Merry Christmas.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
I thought having a final drive rebuild sounded expensive until I visited my local Dodge dealer yesterday. My Dakota pickup stopped blowing hot air and it needs a new "air blend door" up under the dash. It's a small plastic door that controls how much outside air comes into the HVAC system when it's running. $2000.00. WHAT?????? Yes, but that's almost entirely labor to remove and reinstall the dash, etc. I have never been a big believer in service contracts but when I bought this truck new I took one. Wow. $100.00 deductible and I'm home free. It's gonna be a good Christmas after all.

I am surpized that a BMW owner would own a dodge

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #4 of 5 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf
I am surpized that a BMW owner would own a dodge

Look up the word DODGE in the dictionary... "TO AVOID"

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 5 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Thumbs up Re: Final Drive Cost (Not Really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Look up the word DODGE in the dictionary... "TO AVOID"
FYI...I had a Dodge Caravan C/V That I used for my contracting business for 12 years, and when I got out of contracting, I sold it with 230K to a flower delivery business and it is still in service....final tally was 1 tranny @ 160K for $1900 w/ 3 year warrenty from chrysler, and 1 radiator for $300..The 3.3L v6 motor was without fail, never replaced an alternator, or timing chain. And got 19mpg around town, and 25 on the highway. Maybe a fluke in production by Dodge, but I have another one (passenger style) with 192K and it runs like a top, and never misses a beat, comfortable and easy to drive....All car companies have their problems, and these can be amplified by the number of cars produced. But for me, in the last 20 years, I have owned 7 dodges, and everyone has been reliable, giving great service for 100 to 200+K miles each.
I LOVE MY K1200LT!!!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in