Almost Traded 05 LT for New Goldwing. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 4:23 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Almost Traded 05 LT for New Goldwing.

I almost traded my 05 LT for a new Goldwing. As my LT is paid for and coming up on 70K miles, I got to thinking about a new ride for no logical reason. Of course riding a motorcycle in So Cal is not logical to begin with. Riding is as much an emotional experience as it is anything else. If it wasnít for two up long distance touring aspect a GT or RT would have been my choice but instead I almost went to the dark side and started seriously looking at a 2010 Goldwing. I was favorably impressed with the wing and was even pleasantly surprised on well it handled canyon roads. There are a lot of things I like about the wing. As stupid as this will sound, the two primary reasons for not buying the wing, I just didnít like the way it looked parked next to my beloved LT in the dealers parking lot. It just looked bulkier, even though actual dimensions are not that different, and I worried about splitting lanes in the SOI Cal freeway traffic jams. The manually operated windscreen was also a turn off. I kept thinking about how much I use this feature Ė raise it in the rain, lower when I ride twisty roads, and etc. I told the dealer I would think about and rode my LT home. The ride home was one of those perfect rides were I felt as if the bike was part of me Ė everything just seemed better then the wing. I stopped for coffee at a Starbucks. As I sat there looking at my LT, I couldnít help but admire her and think about how she has served me and the pure enjoyment I get when riding even when I commute to work. I conclusion, Iíve decided to spend a few $, put Ohlins on, a new custom seat, pain a few scratches and who knows what else. Iím looking forward to getting my 100K medallion from BMW and riding her another 70K miles. Unless they roll out a new LT and I start thinking emotionally and not logically again.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Ė Growing Up is Optional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 4:48 pm

Re: Almost Traded 05 LT for New Goldwing.

Very nice story! We all look at our scoots and think of they enjoyment. I love my bike!

Every now and then we all trip up and think of another bike - my last affair was with an ST1300, but when I rode my LT again no way I can part with it!

Glad you're still with us!

02 LT
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 6:24 pm

I know how ya' feel

With my '03 LT and 60 on the clock, this is the first bike that I have kept this long. For now, I don't have the itch to go out and purchase another new bike

I look at the bike and I think, man, that's a helluva bike

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 6:28 pm

The ohlins alone will transform the bike, it'll ride better than new ever did!

That GW is a nice bike too but you have a lot of miles left in that LT with the improvements your looking at...geo
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 7:49 pm

You are seven days older than I am. Therefore you are not near old enough to ride a wing

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #6 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 9:25 pm

My LT doesn't have the longest amount of years in my garage yet of any bike I have owned. However in 35 years of riding but it does have the most miles on the clock.

I never minded doing tires because that always improved the ride but last year I did Ohlins and a seat. This year I did Speiglers. When it rolled around time to do tires this year I think it is better than new. This one is a keeper. Maybe I will start a stable when the new replacement LT is on the used lists. I expect the replacement to be close to 30K and I don't believe that I will get that much more value. Of course time will tell.

One thing I know for sure is.... I will not buy another GW.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 9:44 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
You are seven days older than I am. Therefore you are not near old enough to ride a wing
I like your thinking Wolfgang.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:38 pm

I think Wolfgang hits the nail on the head. While the Wing is a very good stead, and my 83 Interstate was a great ride, when I bought my 07LT I never gave the GL a thought. It just didn't seem right. It's my first BMV and while not perfect nor forgiving of dumb slow speed planning, it's as good as it gets two up and doesn't ride like the big bike it is in the twisties. With 30K on the clock, I still like it and think it's just getting worn in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in