bye - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

bye

All,

it has been a true pleasure to hang out on this board for almost 8 years now but it's time to move on. Thanks to everyone who helped me with problems or just made me laugh or feel better through their posts.
I was always amazed how quickly one could get useful and precise advice on this board - often over night - on issues that came up on the road or in the garage. Thanks for that.

We made some very dear friends during our "LT years" also which we are grateful for.

After about five total years and maybe 55000 miles on an LT (most of them 2-up) I could write a novel about how often I went from "I love this bike" to "I hate this POS" and for which specific reasons... fact is our LT has given us a lot of fun time on the road but also - and maybe a few too many - headaches to be able call it an overall positive experience at the end of this journey.

I think the main reason this did not happen earlier is that my wife really loved the LT because it is so comfortable and I loved the fact that I could go 750 miles in a day with her on the back - something that would probably never happen on any other bike. Trips like this will become less and less likely in the future, so...

... it's time to move on. I got tired of the weight of the bike, tired of worrying about problems and what kind of issue we'll have next and - more importantly - how far away from the next BMW shop will it occur?? I got tired of spending an entire weekend in the garage for basic maintenance. I also got tired of BMW, their attitude, the apparent inability to admit that the bikes have serious problems, the arrogance you encounter in some of the shops - even the independent ones - and the often exorbitant prices for labor and parts.

I bought a 650 (Wee) Strom and I'm enjoying the light weight, truly nimble handling, responsiveness, and comfort (for me, anyway, other than the better wind protection I don't miss a thing). I know I can't lose more value on this bike over it's lifetime than the LT lost in it's first year, I have plenty of local options for shops and there will be no more 300+ mile tows - if - I need help on the road.

One never knows what the future has in store but I cannot see another BMW in it for at least a while.

You all take care and ride safe.

Frank

~~~~~~~~~
Fascinating.

Last edited by frankf; Dec 3rd, 2009 at 3:20 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 12:55 pm

Re: bye

Understand ya completely, Frank. One of those love/hate relationships that we hear about too often. I'm glad you found the WeeStrom to put in the stable, and it does sound like it fits you guyz just right. The best of everything in your revised adventure on two wheels - and don't be a total stranger around the 'hood here. I have several friends who have moved on to other marquees - some with the same motivation you had - and they still pop in here now and then to participate in the camaradarie. I would suspect the Strom forums feature like-minded folks who share 'the' passion.

Ride safe, Frank. Best Regards.
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:33 am

Yep...as Dick says "it's a love-hate relationship." Enjoy your new ride! I'm not ready to throw in the towel on mine yet, but there have been those days when a stick of dynamite would be too good for it. I'd prbly go back to a Harley if I were ready...did lots of long rides with it...much more customizable to my riding needs...and I'll long remember how comfortable the Mustang seat was. Anyway, good luck!!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 1:56 pm

With me it's all on BMW and the way they deal with their customers. BMW's executives probably talk about the 1% market share they have in the US and Canada at every board meeting they have and they still can't seem to understand why they can't get more.

To us consumers it's simple... treat us like we should be treated. We're the people that spend the money! They seem to think that if they replace a prematurely wore part, even though it's past the warranty period, that everyone will hear about it and want it done for them also. Well, if the part is poorly made and doesn't stand the test of time then fix it and go back to the drawing board and create something better. By kissing us off is not going to cut it in my book. I'm still hopping mad at them because of the cow bell rotor that they won't fix even though it looks and feels brand new. Okay that's my rant.

Bill
05 K1200 LT
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 2:20 pm

I sold my V-Strom after getting the LT. I thought the V-Strom was a great bike, ultra easy and cheap to maintain and nothing ever broke, ever! The handling was excelent also. However it wasn't practical for the wife and riding that thing in cross winds is an experience I will never forget.

I like my LT but miss the Wee. I will keep the LT until I get tired of the repairs, but the likelihood of me getting another is just about zero.

My guess is you will have a great time with the Wee. Good luck!

Last edited by tonygret; Dec 4th, 2009 at 2:30 pm.
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 5:19 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
I sold my V-Strom after getting the LT. I thought the V-Strom was a great bike, ultra easy and cheap to maintain and nothing ever broke, ever! The handling was excelent also. However it wasn't practical for the wife and riding that thing in cross winds is an experience I will never forget.
Interesting...my only real complaint about the LT is it's handling in severe crosswinds and gusts - both one-up and two-up. I've been moved across the centerline or off the road on several occasions, and that's not fun.....the windshield can be one big sail....

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 8:15 am

i would think with the weight of the LT that this wouldn't be an issue. But i guess not.
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 8:31 am

Good luck and stay tuned to the board.....a new K1600LT will tempt you with its lighter weight & increased torque and aggresive pricing !
IMO you will miss the LT.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #9 of 12 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 8:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Interesting...my only real complaint about the LT is it's handling in severe crosswinds and gusts - both one-up and two-up. I've been moved across the centerline or off the road on several occasions, and that's not fun.....the windshield can be one big sail....
I rode my LT long distances in some exceptionally strong wind conditions, but never had wind force me out of my lane. I found that if you basically relax your grip and only make relatively minor corrections the LT does a lot of the correction itself. It was FAR better in gusty cross winds than my son in law's Harley that I rode quite a bit before getting my LT.

If you grip the handle bars tightly, you end up with PIO, "Pilot Induced Oscillation", and will be all over the road over correcting almost every gust movement. This happens when you start a "correction" at the first feel of a movement, when the bike would have corrected all by itself, but you have forced an over correction.

Try to find some open road next time it is gusty, ride near the center of the road, but let the bike have it's own way, and only correct when it is evident that the bike is not going to completely correct on it's own, then only use light pressure to make the correction. You will find that it handles strong, gusty wind MUCH better than you now think it does.

My first ride in strong wind was with the San Diego BMW club, and one of the highly experienced riders told me to relax my grip and wait a second to see what the bike is going to do, and it was an absolute epiphany! The bike was correcting most of the movements for the most part all alone, without much input from me! Made riding in wind over the next 100,000 miles far less tiring.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 10:14 am

Just for claification, I was speaking of the V-strom in cross winds not the LT. I never had a problem with the LT in windy conditions. But with the V-Strom it was a very scary ride in high winds. If you go to one of the V-Strom forums you'll see multiple posts about it. Also several guys I know who have them have said the same thing.
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 10:30 am

Good luck with your Vstrom. All the people I know who have one love it. If it suits your needs then that is what counts and yes you will probably have less things to worry about. However the Vstrom and LT are very different bikes. I would not even try to compare them. I do not know of any other bike than the LT that would enable me to ride relax on the highway for 3h listening to music through the headset and under drizzling weather and 48f temperature like I did few weeks ago. Even the GW comes short to this IMO mainly due to not being able to adjust the windscreen. As far reliability is concerned I must be one of the lucky ones I guess. Beside a FD problem (which costs me $400 to fix with a used low mileage FD) my 99LT has been a very reliable bike so far.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Good luck on your new ride.
I must be doing something wrong with my 2003 LT. I bought it in Oct. 2008 with 17k miles after a 28 year absence from the motorcycle world (last bike was a 1974 Honda CL350). It now has 37k miles. I've changed the fluids, tires, brake pads, quick disconnects and had a canisterectomy performed. I just love it. After 20,000 this first year I couldn't be more pleased. The help I've received on this forum and with local tech sessions this past Spring and Fall I've learned everything I've needed to know thus far. I've been to the dealer to buy duplicate keys when I first bought the bike on e-bay. I would have purchased some buckets and new quick disconnects except they didn't have any in stock when I needed them. Well knock on wood I'll have another happy 20k next season with the help of this forum. FYI, my wife loves the ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in