Carbone Lorraine Brake Pad Life (Miles) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 10:19 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Carbone Lorraine Brake Pad Life (Miles)

What's your average miles on your brake pads.

I just put my third set of rear pads & my second set of front pads on in the 40,000 miles I have put on my bike since I've had it. I don't have any idea how many miles were on the pads when I got the bike & I am pretty sure they were BMW pads but at 10,000 miles after I got it they were wore out.

So that means in 30,000 miles riding on the Carbone Lorraine pads I'm getting a average of 15,000 out of the front pads & 10,000 out of the rear pads.

I have suspected stuck caliper pistons or a bad brake line but every time I do a high speed coast down to a stop without using the brakes the rotors are cool touching them with my bare hand. That tells me that they are not dragging. I also get good fuel milage.

I'm thinking I might need to change my riding habits in town back & forth to work. I do ride completely different in town verses when I'm on a trip. When I'm close to home I am a very aggressive rider with road rage most of the time. I do my best to never give up my right of way unless its an emergency vehicle (with its emergency lights on) or a sweet looking babe.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 10:28 pm

Re: Carbone Lorraine Brake Pad Life (Miles)

Dave, having tried all 3 types, BMW, Carbons and EBC's I found that I get the most mileage out of the EBC's, also the quietest and the cleanest as far as excessive brake dust. I also have an EBC rear rotor. I am sure others might have different opinions though.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:48 am

My 05 still has the original pads with a fair amount of wear left at 50K miles

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman

I. When I'm close to home I am a very aggressive rider with road rage most of the time. I do my best to never give up my right of way unless its an emergency vehicle (with its emergency lights on) or a sweet looking babe.
I would not worry about brake pads, but worry about my life and limbs based on that statement. And yes, it is also the answer to your pad wear question.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #5 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 4:46 pm

17,000 on original pads. Unfortunately that dang squealing rear BMW pad still has a lot of wear left on it.

I would rather give up position to 50 cages than risk getting injured or killed in a foolish urinary olympics contest with a single cager. I doubt even the LT could outrun a 9mm or even a .45.

Get some help and save some money on brakes. We want to see you around.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 7:51 pm

Dave,

Neither you or Mike EVER use your brakes!!!!!!! The problem is that you guys are using those French "wuss" brake pads.

Now...if you had a GT, you would actually would NEED some brakes to slow down from supersonic speeds. And yet, on my GT, I have gotten 2 1/2 YEARS out of my brake pads and they still look brand new. (Let's see....for me, 2 1/2 yrs = at least 5k miles)

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 8:56 pm

Garage

Start bailing.....We're in the same boat! Albeit still is afloat, we need to change. To that end, I need to change my shorts after the commute today!

Quote:

I just put my third set of rear pads & my second set of front pads on in the 40,000 miles I have put on my bike since I've had it. I don't have any idea how many miles were on the pads when I got the bike & I am pretty sure they were BMW pads but at 10,000 miles after I got it they were wore out.

So that means in 30,000 miles riding on the Carbone Lorraine pads I'm getting a average of 15,000 out of the front pads & 10,000 out of the rear pads.

I have suspected stuck caliper pistons or a bad brake line but every time I do a high speed coast down to a stop without using the brakes the rotors are cool touching them with my bare hand. That tells me that they are not dragging. I also get good fuel milage.

I'm thinking I might need to change my riding habits in town back & forth to work. I do ride completely different in town verses when I'm on a trip. When I'm close to home I am a very aggressive rider with road rage most of the time. I do my best to never give up my right of way unless its an emergency vehicle (with its emergency lights on) or a sweet looking babe.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 9:06 pm

I swapped out the original set of front pads on at 65K, two springs ago, and they were at the service limit. I used Carbone Lorraine as the replacements.

I did Speiglers this spring and I was surprised how much was gone on the fronts. I did not do much riding this year. Currently I am approaching 78K so I will definitely do a front inspection on my spring service. I wasn't disappointed on the stopping power but the Speiglers have changed my braking dynamics so I will need to inspect more frequently and not just on tire changes. I expect the Carbone Lorraine pads will go fast. I tended to do a lot more engine braking and still do but since my lines are not so flexible anymore I do use more brake when I use them. I would suspect if you are a throttle till the last minute and brake till it stops the Carbone Lorraine pads are an expensive pad for you. However if that is your riding style you need to spend to keep them with material on the plates.

I have an EBC rear rotor and I have swapped out rear pads a few times trying to stop squeaking and also when I did the rotor, so I have no good benchmark for you there.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 9:57 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

I don't mind using soft pads that don't get much milage as long as they don't kill the rotors at the same time. I've got about 12,000 miles on my rear rotor and its only .005 from needing to be replaced again. The front rotors don't seem to be getting anywhere close to needing replacing yet.

Maybe I'll try the EBC rear rotors & pads next.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:03 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Dave,

Neither you or Mike EVER use your brakes!!!!!!! The problem is that you guys are using those French "wuss" brake pads.

Now...if you had a GT, you would actually would NEED some brakes to slow down from supersonic speeds. And yet, on my GT, I have gotten 2 1/2 YEARS out of my brake pads and they still look brand new. (Let's see....for me, 2 1/2 yrs = at least 5k miles)
I'll bet ya I've gone from 120 mph down to 30 mph at full brake pressure more times in one month than youv'e done on your GT since youv'e owned it.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #11 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:14 pm

Quote:
I'll bet ya I've gone from 120 mph down to 30 mph at full brake pressure more times in one month than youv'e done on your GT since youv'e owned it.

Yea, but I can go from 0 to 120 mph before your clutch stops slipping!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Hi Dave,

Here is what I have -

original BMW front pads went 25,400

next set of EBC front pads went 16,600

Current set of front Carbone Lorraine pads are at 16,000 and probably have another 2-4,000 to go.

I am still on the original set of BMW rear pads at 58,000. Still a lot left on them. I don't use the rear pedal very often. Pretty much just when the MSF rider instructors make me. This will be the first set of rear pads I have ever wore out. Mostly due to the linked brakes. Hard to brake old habits.

All are sintered pads.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in