This never happened before? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

This never happened before?

I rode to work Wednesday and back home. Bike ran perfect. Went out yesterday to crank it up and move it and nothing happened. Radio plays, lights come on and just a small click and nothing. Battery has 11.5v. What has happened? I'm really getting pissed off at it. Every other day it's something. About ready to let it go, cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Re: This never happened before?

Not much info to go on.

Your battery is low.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieds
What has happened?
I'm really getting pissed off at it.
Every other day it's something.
About ready to let it go, cheap.
We don't know what year it is,
how many miles,
how old is the battery, etc, etc.
We understand you're just "venting"
but you haven't told us much!

Still sight unseen, you want it gone?
I'll give you $500 for it!
let the bidding begin!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

19025 miles
Oddysie battery 1 year old
driven almost daily
battery has 11.5v
post #5 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 7:17 pm

11.5 volts is a dead battery.

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

windshield want hardly move. i charged the battery about 30 minuts and it still will not do anything. i'll try again tomorrow. something different maybe.
post #7 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Just a thought but you didn't happen to leave the Key turned to P instead of off did you?

Also did you check your trunk light to make sure its not turned on?

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Last edited by Kra961; Nov 29th, 2009 at 9:00 pm. Reason: More info
post #8 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Quote:
windshield want hardly move. i charged the battery about 30 minuts and it still will not do anything. i'll try again tomorrow. something different maybe.
Um, battery is STILL dead.

You need to get well above 12 volts and have it remain there for more than a few minutes to have enough juice to do ANYTHING.

Trickle charge it for 20 hours OFF THE BIKE at 1 amp max and then give it a try. If a lead acid variety make sure the cells are topped off with distilled water to the max fill line prior to charging. Clean the battery posts and connectors with a brass bristle brush before reconnecting, and make sure they are TIGHT.

Then, when it still won't start a week later , buy an Odyssey PC680 and a charger designed for an AGM battery. Keep it hooked up ALL THE TIME while parked.

Yeah, it's going to cost about $150, but the The Force will be with you.

(then again, you may have damaged the contacts on the starter by trying to start with a low battery issue. Unlikely. That's a 'whole nother ball o' wax, but usually easy to fix)

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 29th, 2009 at 9:21 pm.
post #9 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Um, battery is STILL dead.

buy an Odyssey PC680 and a charger designed for an AGM battery. Keep it hooked up ALL THE TIME while parked.

)

He's got an Odyssey that's 1 year old. But ya changing a battery for 30 min won't hardly do anything. Give a 2 amp charger 8 hours. Then try it. If your battery won't hold the charge its toast.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Last edited by mwnahas; Nov 29th, 2009 at 9:52 pm.
post #10 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2009, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
He's got an Odyssey that's 1 year old. But ya changing a battery for 30 min won't hardly do anything. Give a 2 amp charger 8 hours. Then try it. If your battery won't hold the charge its toast.
Ah, missed that... The good news is that if the Odyssey is dead it should be covered under their 2 year full warranty. I would take it to a local dealer instead of dealing with shipping.

I had one die prematurely and they covered it, even without the original receipt. Pretty sure there is coding on the case that gives the manufacture date.

I've always been impressed how many times an Odyssey can be brought back to a useful life - when apparently toasted - versus lead acid. I seem to remember there is a specific charging routine for this, so my advice about leaving it hooked up to a trickle charger is probably wrong.

The weird thing is that this is a daily driver, so holding a charge should not be an issue. I would first clean the contacts and terminals.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2009, 12:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Re: This never happened before?

This guy rides almost every day. Same for me and after over 136,000 BMW miles(3 bikes) I never had a battery go bad. I did replace one near 3 years old so there shouldn't be any chance of it going bad at the wrong time. There is no reason to keep it on battery tender or charger every day.
Just my .02

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #12 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2009, 2:13 pm

One of two scenerios...

You left the key in Park instead of OFF or LOCK...... Parking lamp drained battery.
Or maybe a stuck brake light relay... That'll drain one too..

I've done it...

You could NOW have a welded starter relay causing a short that will not let the battery charge while connected to the bike...Disconnect negative battery lead from bike and connect charger directly...
Recharge battery while disconnected from the bike. You'll be fine. If starter turns when you connect the battery. Turn on the key and hit the starter button a couple times to Hopefully unstick the starter relay...

OR,

Battery is bad.... Happens... Just get it replaced and move on..

That's how a battery goes.. All at once....

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Last edited by JPSpen; Nov 30th, 2009 at 4:16 pm.
post #13 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Battery needs to be replaced! Some last longer than others and some need to be charged occasionally. This bike needs a full charge to start. In Florida, as an example, battery lasting more than three years is an oddity. Growing up in WV, batteries seemed to last a lot longer. Maybe those were the good old days.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2009, 3:39 pm

I had the exact same issue even with the same battery reading and also riding daily. I called Odyssey support. I was told to buy 6 AMP Odyssey charger. In addition I added a voltmeter as well.

I think your commute is just marginal to get the battery fully charged. So over time voltage drops on the battery unless you fully charge with their charger on a more like monthly basis. Anytime voltage drops below 12.3 volts (when engine not running) I hook up the charger to the battery. I bought the charger from:

http://www.portablepower.com/odyssey...-1b-p-801.html

Quote:
I rode to work Wednesday and back home. Bike ran perfect. Went out yesterday to crank it up and move it and nothing happened. Radio plays, lights come on and just a small click and nothing. Battery has 11.5v. What has happened? I'm really getting pissed off at it. Every other day it's something. About ready to let it go, cheap.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #15 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2009, 4:17 pm

!2 volt battery fully charged with a 2 amp charger is fully charged at 12.7 volts .One way to see if it is the bike would be to jump start the bike then take a voltage reading at the battery when the bike is running. The voltage should be a little higher when the bike is running.
post #16 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
We don't know what year it is,
how many miles,
how old is the battery, etc, etc.
We understand you're just "venting"
but you haven't told us much!

Still sight unseen, you want it gone?
I'll give you $500 for it!
let the bidding begin!

Don't let SilverBuff try to take advantage of you. He's sneaky that way!!! I'll give you $600 for that busted up POS sight unseen!

Shame on you Buff!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #17 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Shame on you Buff!
hey now!!!! we both know he don't really wanna sell it,
He just needed to blow of some steam!
I was just trying to make light of his pre-dick-ament.
As soon as he gets that thing started
he's gonna ride away smiling, and flip us both off!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #18 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2009, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

I disconnected everything from the battery and charged it at 2amp for 5 hours and still nothing. Battery read 7v so it looks like its bad. My next try is jumping it with my jumper battery, after it charges up. I hope nothing on the starter has welded together. I did leave my GPS pluged into the battery for 3 days with out disconneting it. I guess that could have drained the battery. I drive most days to work and back which is 60 miles. I may just have a bad battery. Cold can zap it also. If it want jump off I'll take the battery out and take it to the battery store and see if they will swap it.

I don't really want to sell it, yet. I do like the bike. It rides great, handles wonderful and my wife like to ride on it. I know it has required much more maintenance and up keep than any other bike I've had. I don't like that part. I like to just jump on it and go anytime I want. But you guy's are funny. I really enjoy venting and everyone going with me. When it's running and I'm riding 90mph to work I want even remember being pissed off at it......
post #19 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2009, 9:06 pm

How are you charging the battery? Directly or plugged in to an assessory outlet? What kind of charger? Battery tender/BMW charger? It wont charge below certain voltage. If plugged in through an aux outlet plug sometimes you're not really connected due to dirt or corrosion.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #20 of 21 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

I've taken it out of the bike and charging 2amps. Been on for 7 hours and I going out to check it now. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #21 of 21 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Never could get it to hold more than 10.3v Took it out and sent it back to Battey Mart. Hopefully next week something better will come back.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in