Starting clutch replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

Starting clutch replacement

I've just started to disassemble my 2003 LT to replace the clutch. I'm following the Clymer manual and it's going well so far.
I've gotten to the part where it tells me to remove the fuel injection rail. I'm wondering why that is necessary. I'm guessing it's because the frame needs to be lifted a long way up but I'm not sure.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 12:26 am

Garage
Re: Starting clutch replacement

As most will tell you yes. But I did not remove it. Depending on how you are lifting the bike, you may be able to lift it and check your clearance all the way around. I found I had enough room to get it out with out removing the rails.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 12:58 am

All it takes is two 6mm allen bolts to remove the fuel rail. Install is just as easy. I usually lift the frame off and then set the engine and tranny on one of my work benches so I can do what I have to without having to bend over or lay down on the floor.(age catching up to me).

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 10:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I removed the fuel rail and the throttle bodies. Replaced the front motor mounts with 1/4 inch bolts. Gave me a lot of free side to side movement to clear the frame while sliding the tranny off. Also if you undo the heavy wire from the starter back at the tie point you can lower the engine/tranny assembly down far enough to get your hand in there to unbolt the olther end off of the starter.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fllyboy
I've just started to disassemble my 2003 LT to replace the clutch. I'm following the Clymer manual and it's going well so far.
I've gotten to the part where it tells me to remove the fuel injection rail. I'm wondering why that is necessary. I'm guessing it's because the frame needs to be lifted a long way up but I'm not sure.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Glenn

Hi there,

I'm preparing to do this job on my 2000 LT soon and I was wondering if you are using a lift? Besides providing more comfort, is it necessary to have a lift for this job? I'm 38 years old so comfort is not a big issue for me but $ is . Please let me know (you or others who have gone through this job) and good luck!
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 7:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I still do it all the old fashioned way - on the floor! But I am looking for a lift as I am having trouble getting back up off the floor... (I'll just leave the door open on that one).

If you are careful you can do it all without tying her down right on the floor.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 8:11 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuchero
Hi there,

I'm preparing to do this job on my 2000 LT soon and I was wondering if you are using a lift? Besides providing more comfort, is it necessary to have a lift for this job? I'm 38 years old so comfort is not a big issue for me but $ is . Please let me know (you or others who have gone through this job) and good luck!
I just did the same on mu 00. While a lift is not a necessity, OMG was it nice. and I am 1 year older...Especially in those instances where you left the tool you needed on the counter AFTER you had gotten under the bike. If you can swing it, or someone in the area has one to lend, you will be better off. Harbor Freight has a cheap one for about $400. Start looking at CL and Ebay, you'd be surprised as they pop up every so often..

I will say having done it a few more times after returning the borrowed lift, removing and installing the final drive is allot easier when its off the ground

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 10:05 am

Thanks for your feedback guys, I guess I'll just hit the floor. I just can't convince myself to spend that kind of money for something that will be used so rarely. I do the 12K service no problem with a detergent bucket that serves as a stool, so I guess I'll stick with the cheapo solution .
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:07 pm

Hey Glenn

Let me know what you need.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #10 of 10 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 8:26 am Thread Starter

Garry

I'm ok for now. I just got the lift and jack for raising the bike so will start with removing wheel, final drive and transmission today.
I will call you when it's time for reassembly.

Glenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in