Rear Drive Pic: Comments anyone? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Rear Drive Pic: Comments anyone?

All:

I put the bike on the lift to start the 24K service process. Thought I ask opinions if any of you thought this type of oil/film covering the rear drive area is normal or unusual?

Please see the attached pic. Thanks for your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT_LT_RD.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	25424  

Tom Talleur
Coastal Georgia
IBA # 30573

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red with Unigo
2005 R1200 RT Red

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM (Radisson Santa Fe)
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN (Park Vista Resort)
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO (Beaver Run Resort)
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY (Grand Teton National Park)
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA (Chateau Elan and Winery)
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD (Ramkota Hotel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 11:21 am

Re: Rear Drive Pic: Comments anyone?

Tom, That looks like the normal road splatter that I get on my FD. It it were a FD leak, you'd see it out on the wheel. Having gone through two failures, what you're displaying I've never seen other than normal riding. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 11:27 am

Loosen up that clamp and pull back the rubber boot. If any fluid comes out, it will either be the final drive seal or the tranny output shaft seal that is leaking.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 11:34 am

Talking Re: Rear Drive Pic: Comments anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttalleur
All:

I put the bike on the lift to start the 24K service process. Thought I ask opinions if any of you thought this type of oil/film covering the rear drive area is normal or unusual?

The pic you show is in front of the FD so it wouldn't be coming from there. I think you might have a leak further forward. IE. my hose drains are just ahead of that area. Overflows for the brake fluid, fuel tank etc. Also could be a seal leaking somewhere. I'd do more inspecting ahead of the area you show in the pic. The boot in the pic is at the rear of the drive shaft but I wouldn't think that is where the film is coming from. I don't think what you are showing is something normal.

I'm assuming you ride on clean roads.

Keep looking!

Just my .02 cents worth.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 11:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Tom,
I'd give her a good wash. I use a auto wash detergent (i.e. Turtle Wax auto wash) that won't remove any of the protective waxes that I use on the tupperware. . Your going to change to FD gear oil anyway as part of your maintenance drill and you can check for anything unusual on the magnetic plug.

If it continues to leak (if it does leak) you should see fresh stuff. Being in the south I'm sure you have lots of riding days ahead.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #6 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 5:29 pm

Quote:
All:

Ever wash that thing?

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #7 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 5:49 pm

This is what it looks like after riding down the highway without a fill plug on the final drive. Gear oil was slung everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	25425  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 6:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
All:

If you haven't washed the bike in the 24K miles, I'd say this is normal road grit. If you washed the bike last week and it now looks like this, I'd say you have a problem.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 7:48 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

It could be anything.

Wash it well and keep an eye on it.

Also pull the FD boot as said. If no oil there and the front boot is on at the transmission, it is road grime, probably.

Not sure if the infamous breather hose that sits dead top of the motor could sling it that far and heavy, but maybe.

Wash it well and watch it well.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
This is what it looks like after riding down the highway without a fill plug on the final drive. Gear oil was slung everywhere.
Howard, was this some kind of experiment?

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Howard, was this some kind of experiment?
Only in some sick, unexplainable way!

That is what happened after my first dealer service. When servicing the final drive, the tech either left the fill plug off, or didn't tighten it down. I got 3 hours down the road and discovered the rear wheel was locked. They replaced the final drive, at no cost to me! (duh)

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in