Auxiliar input on LT. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Auxiliar input on LT.

Anyone know which is the connector for the Auxiliary input on K1200LT ?
I took the radio out, so I have access on the back of the radio and CD player.
Need HELP .
Thank you !
Gomy

CZ 125cc 1987, CZ 250cc 1988
MZ 175cc 1989, Java 350cc 1990
R75 - R80 1991
K1200 LTC 2004
ML 55 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Re: Auxiliar input on LT.

Once I can pull out my archives, I will try to find that info - I am pretty sure that I saved it somewhere. I usually document my modifications pretty well.

Keep in mind, though, that the volume is quite low. Your typical MP3 player may not be able to produce enough sound volume even when pushing into the AUX output at full blast of its little heart. You will very likely need a preamp in-line. I used one of the "stereo amp" educational kits.

Stand by, I'll search tonight. I have to help a fellow forum member who displays an exquisite taste in CZ / Jawa and in MZ. In late seventies, I almost got a brand-new metallic green 250cc MZ as my primary transport. I was probably lucky that things worked out differently, but nostalgia persists...

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Nov 24th, 2009 at 11:13 pm.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 9:55 pm

BMW Auxiliary Audio Input Kit.

Oh, OK, I found the paperwork. I did not remember anymore how the thing worked - it is several years since I did that.

By the way, I assume that you have a similar radio head to mine: Becker with CD player.

Turns out that the AuX input is accessed via an extra high-density connector that integrates into the big connector "pack" already on the back of the radio. There is no dedicated input jack or anything like that.

You will need to buy a BMW kit: "Auxiliary Audio Input Kit", p/n 82 11 0 149 389. The kit consists of an audio cable ending with a stereo jack. The other side of the cable ends with a special square connector that will snap into the big high-density connector on your radio. The BMW kit includes an installation sheet with more details.

I bought my kit from Bavarian AutoSport, it cost close to $40-$50. It is actually designed for 3- and 5- Series cars with in-dash CD player, from September '02 on. You can search the site by car model, just use 2002 model 525i. Very likely, it can be also obtained from your BMW car dealer.

As I mentioned, you will need a fairly powerful audio source. Apparently, some sat radio receivers are powerful enough, but my portable players were not. Some users here cut the cable and installed a Radio-Shack inline amplifier. I bought from Cana Kit their UK154 "14W MP3 / Walkman Stereo Amplifier". It's an open-board circuit that runs on 12-18Vdc. I cut and soldered the audio kit cable, added power wires, wrapped the whole assembly in waterproof tape and mounted under nose cone.

As you can see, it's not a simple project. If you want to ride, get your bike back together, prepare all parts and then do the installation off-season.

Good luck!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Nov 24th, 2009 at 11:16 pm.

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Garage

Just did mine a few months ago. Called up the BMW auto dealer and they had it in stock...$45 OTD...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...24&postcount=1

I have my IPOD connected. Although not as loud as the FM, it gets up enough where its not an issue. Just remember to turn the volume down before switching..... If you have the stingray off, its plug and play. The Blue lever comes up...You'll know when you get there...!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 1:31 am

Robert,

That is interesting. Thanks for the info. Here is a direct link. http://www.canakit.com/mini-walkman-...122-uk122.html

Simon
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 8:13 am

its doable. and works great. i did mine this summer using the info from this site. i will try to dig up the photos i took. i think i used "ari's" site info, but not sure. have to go to work now i'll come back later. dale
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 12:27 pm

07 LT - we just plug the iPod Nano into the aux plug in the octopod (or radio sting-ray) and select AUX as the sound source. The volume control on the Nano goes from whisper to ear shattering, so I set it in the middle of its range and control it from the radio controls. With Voice-Over on the 5g Nano, its like having your own DJ letting you know the who and what is playing. The 5G nano even has a small speaker if you want to carry it around at your destination, a video camera, and a fairly good Genius selection of songs if we do not want to use All or Random or make up our own playlist.

I control the volume with the control on the left handlebar.

Biggest problem I have is that once in a while, the LT Com system forgets that I have anything on the Aux plug and needs to be turned off and on. The only other problem I have if forgetting to stop the iPod when we park, so it goes on playing and eventually runs the battery down.

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 1:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

FYI, Powerlet makes an Ipod power cord that you can hook up to your battery. I ran one up to my oddments box and just plug it into the bottom of my Ipod. And connect to the top of the Ipod for the sound out using the connection mentioned in the earlier threads. But I needed a Boostaroo to get enough volume and I've had my Ipod freeze up on me after having both plugs in after playing it for a while. I now just plug it in for the sound and charge it when I'm stopped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in